HVAC Question

Casper

Okay, so when we moved in the breaker outside for the A/C was off. When it started to get warm, we went to use the A/C and it didn't kick on. Found the breaker was off, flipped it, viola. A/C works. However, now its started to get cool out, so we switched the heat back on. Now, whenever the heat comes on the A/C unit outside runs also. WTF?

That is most likely a heat pump. It extracts the warmth of the air outside and pumps it in. Even if it is cold outside, it works down to about the mid 20's, then backup heat kicks in. They are magic, don't question.

That is most likely a heat pump. It extracts the warmth of the air outside and pumps it in. Even if it is cold outside, it works down to about the mid 20's, then backup heat kicks in. They are magic, don't question.

Huh. I don't know that I have a heat pump. If I do, the builder definitely didn't tell me about it. Would the heat pump be the same unit as the A/C?

I have a heat pump where I live. It works reasonably well. Looks and acts just like an A/C unit, but will provide heat.

However, it is possible your A/C just runs when your ventilation is running. It's just drying out the air when the heat runs. You just don't want the condensor to freeze. Otherwise you're fine. Some peopel recommend running the A/C in the winter now and then to make sure the compressor doesn't sieze, much like a car's.

I had a similar problem. The thermostat was defective. Replaced and fixed.

That's what I'm leaning more towards. I have a digital programmable thermostat. I'm wondering if I messed up the wires somehow. I don't think so as I double checked them all, but I'm thinking this is most likely.

That's what I'm leaning more towards. I have a digital programmable thermostat. I'm wondering if I messed up the wires somehow. I don't think so as I double checked them all, but I'm thinking this is most likely.

Mine was a digital programmable as well. I installed it and it ran fine for about 30 days, then crapped out.

this is from howstuffworks.com about heat pumps

Imagine that you took an air conditioner and flipped it around so that the hot coils were on the inside and the cold coils were on the outside. Then you would have a heater. It turns out that this heater works extremely well. Rather than burning a fuel, what it is doing is "moving heat."

A heat pump is an air conditioner that contains a valve that lets it switch between "air conditioner" and "heater." When the valve is switched one way, the heat pump acts like an air conditioner, and when it is switched the other way it reverses the flow of Freon and acts like a heater.

Heat pumps can be extremely efficient in their use of energy. But one problem with most heat pumps is that the coils in the outside air collect ice. The heat pump has to melt this ice periodically, so it switches itself back to air conditioner mode to heat up the coils. To avoid pumping cold air into the house in air conditioner mode, the heat pump also lights up burners or electric strip heaters to heat the cold air that the air conditioner is pumping out. Once the ice is melted, the heat pump switches back to heating mode and turns off the burners.