LCD TV Questions....

Dr. Apex

Droptop got the extended warranty on his LCD. He's got a problem with it, and has been waiting on the repair company to get the parts and actually fix it for probably close to a year. If he would have paid the money to get it fixed somewhere else, it would have been done in a week.

I just boughta 42" Toshiba 1080P a few weeks ago. I love it. HD fucking rocks (need more HD channels from WOW though). 360 is amazing on it.

No, I didnt get the $150 extended warranty on mine.

1) do not buy an extended warranty.

2) do not buy from best buy, circuit city, etc. you're wasting your money.

3) newegg.com is your new best friend. all the same TVs you can go see in Best Buy, etc. at a lower price, often includes shipping and if you INSIST on getting extended service plans. For instance, a solid Philips 1080 42" will run you $1200 shipped into your home, and god forbid you want an extended warranty newegg offers 4 years for $90. Bestbuy offers the same exact tv for $1400, and if you want their super awesome protection plan for 4 years its going to run you another $180. Links for verification:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889104115

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8804528&type=product&id=1206141946396

note that they're definitely the same serial no.

The warranties are for the most part a revenue generator, but if/when that time comes you need it they can pay off I know. The roommate has a DLP and the bulb blew out on it in a year, so far it's been worth it but LCD's seem to be reliable so far.

I really don't get extended warranties. I buy a lot of electronics, and I think the money I have saved on avoiding all those extended warranties has paid for my 52" LCD. When I do have problems with my electronics, it's usually either during the first year, which is automatically covered, or after 3 years, after the extended warranty would have expired anyway.

When I bought a Pioneer surround sound system in 1995, I got the extended warranty. A CD jammed in my 100 disc changer, so I sent it to the company to fix it. I got it back in 3 weeks. Way too long for me. Next time it happened, I fixed it myself and probably voided the warranty, I didn't care, the warranty was pointless.

I 27 wont hit 100 bucks for atleast 5 years. Extended warrenties are not scams if you use them. Sears offers a yearly check up on your tv. If you have them do this without the warranty its about 150 dollars. So on a 5 yr 500$ warranty it pays for itself. Plus if you purchase a DLP and the bulb burns and they quit making the bulb, you get bumped to an lcd. I am contemplating on buying a 60 inch dlp for 1500, and waiting the bulb to blow up for a similar sized lcd or plasma which is 3k+.

You can't even buy analog 27s for 100 bucks unless their junk.

I 27 wont hit 100 bucks for atleast 5 years. Extended warrenties are not scams if you use them. Sears offers a yearly check up on your tv. If you have them do this without the warranty its about 150 dollars. So on a 5 yr 500$ warranty it pays for itself. Plus if you purchase a DLP and the bulb burns and they quit making the bulb, you get bumped to an lcd. I am contemplating on buying a 60 inch dlp for 1500, and waiting the bulb to blow up for a similar sized lcd or plasma which is 3k+.

/

Thats not how it works at all,When the bulb goes out ONCE they replace it.If they cannot fix it you get what you payed for another item.or something similar.You cannot go from a 1500 dollar DLP to a 3K+ LCD with out paying the difference.A store writing off 1500 dollars or more is insane, I have never met a store manager yet dumb enough to do that and i doubt i ever will

You can't even buy analog 27s for 100 bucks unless their junk.

Thats true because you cant buy analog televisions any more,It is against FCC regulations On February 19th 2009 they are going to quit broadcasting in analog i'm sure you have seen the commercials

You're welcome to meet up with me and use my Panasonic discount. It's still in effect :)

Browse their consumer site at http://www.panasonic.com and review both the LCD and Plasmas and let me know which one you'd like a price on.

I just hooked a buddy at work up on a nice 50" 1080P and the best reaction is to have had him tell me he's actually in love with his TV :D

We have a 32" LCD in our guest bedroom and it's very nice.

PM me if interested.

I'm aware of the fact that you can hardly buy a new tv for $99(even a tube), and they only make a couple tubes anymore, it's just my dad is the cheapest person I've ever seen. The last time he bought a tv it was probably $99 and that's all he's going to be willing to spend again....hence he will never own another new tv unless it's bought for him.

Tim, thanks for the offer but it won't happen with him. I'll have to buy it for him because he won't be willing to pay for one and if he is forced to buy one he'll buy the cheapest junk he can find.

My parents weren't going to caugh up that much for a new digital TV either so I know you're situation. My sister and I got together and bought them a 42" 720P for Christmas.

It's the newer TH-42PX80U and is an excellent set. My cost $873. You'll never notice the difference with this and the new 1080P set from a distance of say 9-12 feet which is where my parents set is placed.

http://images.panasonic.com/static/models/th-42px80u.jpg

The 32" we bought is the TC-32LX85 priced at $654.

Again, very nice set.

http://images.panasonic.com/static/models/tc-32lx85.jpg

I'm aware of the fact that you can hardly buy a new tv for $99(even a tube), and they only make a couple tubes anymore, it's just my dad is the cheapest person I've ever seen. The last time he bought a tv it was probably $99 and that's all he's going to be willing to spend again....hence he will never own another new tv unless it's bought for him.

Tim, thanks for the offer but it won't happen with him. I'll have to buy it for him because he won't be willing to pay for one and if he is forced to buy one he'll buy the cheapest junk he can find.