Anyone here done Michigan Beaches - Getaway?

TTQ B4U

Wife and I were wanting to go someplace close (Midwest) with the kids. Michigan came to mind but I'm not familiar if Michigan beaches. Sounds crazy, but what type of sand and water fun spots are folks here familiar with in the Midwest that would involve a beach near a lake?

I'm open to hitting Chicago again. Anything there would be good too.

Is there anything island wise near lake Erie worth taking a 2/5yr old over to?

We'll be driving in the van along the trip.

Insight appreciated.

Any place is better than that state up north. I havn't been to it but I hear "East Harbor State Park" on Lake Erie is nice. Kelley's Island has a decent little beach and some nice sights to see on the island if your willing to take the ferry over. I'm sure Chicago has some good beaches.

well your in luck that i saw this post. i am from up state michigan. If you are looking for a descent 3-4 day get away. Start on the west coast of michigan / indiana. Then head north.

First big stop should be St. Joseph / Benton habor. Plenty of beach and B&Bs there.

Second big stop Grand Haven / North Shore. Plenty of beach and B&Bs there.

Third big stop Sleeping bear dunes / Leelanau fun sight seeing and shops

fourth Traverscity Bay. Tons of cool hotels and resturants to visit.

fifth Charlevoix / cross village great views prolly my favorite michigan beach.

sixth Mackinaw city/Mackinaw Island defantly fun to check out ! History and cool bars

That trip can take you a weekend to a week if you want. But i would defantly not miss sleeping bear dunes, travers city, and Mackinaw island.

Did the Michigan trip a couple of summers back. Frankenmuth has the "worlds largest Christmas store" - what kid doesn't like Christmas? We went from there up the east coast and checked out several of the lighthouses and then on to Mackinac. The old fort right at the base of the bridge is neat. Went on down to Traverse City and on to Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park - very cool! The best thing about it was the moderate temperatures even in August. My kids are a good bit older and we went in a motor home so we camped our way around. The water was crytal clear (it pains me to say it - but much better than lake Erie) and the beaches were nice. If I had to pick one area - it would be Traverse City / Sleeping Bear Dunes - great natural scenery, beaches, wineries, lighthouses - a little bit of everything.

By the way - there's a Cabellas store on the way north - the kids would probably like the "real" stuffed animals and aquariums!

+1 to sliver lake. Its a lot of stuff to do around the area for getaway type stuff. To get into the sand dunes state park with a 4x4 you'll need to register in advance. They are only letting a certain number of visitors in per day. Oh and its gotta be MI DOT legal (which rules out my offroader.)

The beach area I'm sure is open to anyone anytime and you can check it all out on MI's DNR site or just search sliver lake.

Evan

I was told by someone once the torch lake had as clear of water as the caribbean. Always wanted to check out for myself. Anyone know if this is true?

the majority of lakes up there is as clear if not more than the caribbean. Yes Torch lake is one of the biggest lakes up there it stretches 9 miles long and is about 140 feet deep in the middle.