how to rent car at 23 and not get raped?

evan9381

we're headed to florida next month. both of us will be 23 at the time. everywhere ive been checking wants an extra 25$/day (175$) for me to rent a car. add this to the regular rate, and its 4-500$ for a compact crap car.

how can i get around this? is there a way for maybe my dad to rent the car in his name, and i can pick it up when i get there, even if he's not going? im gonna be extremely pissed if i have to fork out 500$ for a rental. fuck, at that point, it might be cheaper just to get a taxi when we leave the hotel.

Check out thrifty. We just rented a Cherokee last week with unlimited miles it came out to $424. Between 4 people, it was quite affordable. If you dad rents it, you can be added as an extra driver, but that is like $5-10 a day (per extra driver). Fuel for the Jeep was $500 total = $125 per person. So it was still cheaper than flying.

it would be cheeper just to drive down with a leaking gas tank at that point.

...no shit! unfortunately, we booked the airfare and hotel back in march, and just procrastinated on the rental

i checked out thrifty, and they have the 25 and under fee of $25/day too. ill see if he is able to rent it, and add me, and then just say hes coming down a day later or something. hmm

Agree.

1)Get job with business account at rental agency

2)Use account to score business pricing

Otherwise, you're stuck with the higher pricing.

When I drove Ohio to Utah I was still 22. It was going to cost something like $300 more because I was under 25. Gave em all my business info and they immediately changed pricing and service. Even gave us upgrade to midsize SUV for free. (Whatever the upgrade from midsize car to a Ford SUV was)

something you may be able to do because I think Florda also offers it is look for places that are essentially titled rent a wreck. Basically people rent out higher mileage cars that will run, just not always in the greatest of conditions(they're still roadworthy). They're incredibly common over in California(I use them whenever I go to visit family). You just have to be 18 years of age or older, have a driver's license, and have proof of insurance. Often you can get a week rental for 100 dollars.

ask at work for coestra discount info

me and john palmer looked into it today, theres no discounts.

oh, im sure you'll be glad to know, tricia young hasnt been there since the end of april or beginning of may...not sure exactly, took a few days off at the beginning of may and came back and she was gone...much better there now

go to http://www.nationalcar.com put this code in under contract ID 5007125

Let me know if that helps.

tried it but its still hitting me for the extra 175$. thanks for trying to lend a hand though.

i think my boss at work said he found one that was 383/wk with the 25$/day fee included. im gonna look some more tonight

• 2 weeks later...
well, i went the priceline way. i know theyre like hotwire with the savings, but you not being able to know a hotel location or flight details until after they accept your offer...for a car rental for 2 people, i could give a shit less if its an accent or a cadillac. offered 40$/day, with taxes it was a total of 339.xx$ for a week. cheapest i found trying to deal directly with the rental places was 450$, and they went up to 530$. i think thats pretty decent...saved about 110$ and it will be a compact car. perfect.