Lets talk leakdown testing

Guest Removed

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Removed
Did you do the test on a warm motor?

While nothing accounts for #6 cylinder at 0# I have seen different between cold and warm engines.

It was cold. but on this car its a PITA to do warm to the car needing torn down to access one bank. ive done my car cold and warm and have not seen much difference it leakdown.

having bad blow by the last few times it was drove, and losing 100hp on chassis dyno's in 1300 or so miles. :confused:

I have always been told to do a leakdown only on a warm motor. I never really questioned this; however, if this is the car I think, it would make no difference.

Guest Removed
I have always been told to do a leakdown only on a warm motor.

I have seen different between cold and warm engines.

On a higher mileage motor, yes , always do it warm. But on a fresh(er) engine. Bore is rather , how can i say...still round. Now we tired this test not that long ago at the shop. brand new car off the lot. pushed it into the shop pulled the plugs and did a leakdown on it. 5-10% is is what we got cold. Now we reinstalled the plugs and went and drove it till it was up to operating temp. brought it back in and retested it.5-10% is what we got. only reason i did it was to prove a point to another tech in the shop.

just a question. i always thought a compression check was to check for ring seal. so i assumed the two operations of leak down (which i have never done) and a compression check were one in the same. i am obviously wrong, could someone explain the difference?

Guest Removed
Compression just checks how much compression is built in the cylinder.

Leakdown checks to see how well the cylinder holds air(compression).

fixxed

Guest Removed

you need atleast 100psi (compression test ) to even make a engine run. normally 150-180 depending on cam specs and what not. some race engine will push higher then that.

on a compression test you are looking for evenness between the cylinders. like if you have 2 side by side that are both 75psi, then the head gasket is broke between the 2. and so on.

normally you'll see about 135-150 or so on most engines.

Guest Removed
Damn straight I'm too lazy. I'm still trying to figure out how you can do it so damn fast.

do about 15 or more then you can do them in your sleep

;) . remember if no one else wants to do them. someone has to ;)

Guest 614Streets
so the leakdown is testing how much of the compression remains in the cylinder. if 5-10 percent is good for leakdown, what are good compression check numbers?

No more than 15% between the cylinders on a straight compression test or else.........

Guest Removed
motor has to come out and go back to machine shop. i should be there on the teardown to inspect for myself. and depending on what goes on from there, then we will go from there. but the owner of the car is so down at this point i dont think he even wants to mess with it.

Guest Removed
What was the point of this thread? To bash the shop or what? Why not just post who it was and what shop did it even though I would think the said shop would fix it and make it right if it is a reputable shop.

Main fact is im not sure if its bad workman ship or not. No bashing has been done. this thread was started to documnet my findings on undisclosed members engine.

Granted at any shop mistake's will happen. Its how they are handled and if they are takin care of. But with said shop issue's have arised several times with work done on this forum and in my current place of employment. And I will say is the way our issue was handled was unprofessional. I am waiting for the outcome of how this is handled before any bashing begins. No sense in dragging someones name thru the mud if its not needed.

And just why are you posting in this thread?