Need some welding help

Avenger1647545502

Well, not the ACTUAL welding, but the welder itself. I've got a Lincoln 110volt for just general welding, nothing special. The problem is that the wire feeder is surging, it'll spit out a bunch of wire then slow down, then spit out more wire. It does this no matter how tight the spool is mounted, and the wire speed setting doesn't make a difference either. I'm running the proper size flux-core, so I don't think it is binding up. Anyone got any ideas?

/\Good place to start. When it "spits out a bunch of wire", is it spitting it out at the speed you have the welder set on? If so, you've got something causing drag on your rotating assembly, but not over all 360deg of it.

When did it start? All at once or did it slowly begine this?

Old welder? Ever clean it?

It's just about new. We've run about 1 and 1/2 spools through it over the course of the last year. Dad didn't notice it, but the first time I used it I did. He has no idea if it was doing it before, so I'm kinda leaning towards the idea that it happened gradually.

I noticed today that the surge doesn't seem to happen at the same point in the spools rotation. It also does it regardless of whether an arc is struck or not.