EFI Live Help

XChris1632X

My buddy is getting ready to buy an EFI live tuner for his 03 Duramax. I have been wanting to learn more about tuning. He will let me do everything but I really don't know where to start. I have never seen EFI live, but I know I can slowly learn it. Anyone have any advise? I have been searching for stuff to help explain it and explain tuning a Duramax but with little luck.

first thing you want to do is read the manual

then you want to spend alot of time playing and navigating your way threw the software to get used to it

then you want to flash the newest firmware version into your V2 control box

then you want to download the latest version to your computer

then you want to set up all of your MAPs so that they are layed out exactly like the ones in the ECU

then you want to log lots of stuff till you learn whats what and which PIDs you really need

make sure your wideband is setup correctly

make sure your BEN factor in the SAE.GENERIC folder is setup to use the correct commanded fuel PID i had to change mine from GM.AFR to GM.AFR_B

also setup your Filters correctly use OR not AND

example exclude data frames where the throttle moves more then 1% in 1 ms or

exclude data frames of KR > 1 or

exclude data frames of ECT < 180

then be aware that you can export all of the information into excel (very useful ... especially at work :) )

then you want to be aware that you may have to create your own PIDs like for the LS2 there is no PID for injector duty cycle so i had to make one so you want to learn how the SAE.GENERIC folder is set up and how to manipulate it (make a backup copy)

speaking of backing up be aware there are EFI Live files in 2 places, in my computer and a different one that keeps track of your personal stuff in my documents

most important thing is don't give up and don't think you've learned every thing the more you learn the more you realize you don't know.

when you are finally ready to change stuff start with the easy stuff COTP, o2 sensors, torque management, fans. (stuff that isn't going to hurt the car)

i'm not sure how accurate the Auto VE tutorial is for your setup but with the LS2 there was alot of differences from the LS1 so it took awhile for us to get it right but don't worry about driving around forever trying to fill all the cells in just do short driving at first to make sure everything is working properly MAF off LTFT STFT off, closed loop off so on so on. then you can go on the long drive.

well thats all i got time for, lunch break is over.

Good luck

any questions just ask

also Dyno Brian > me

also if they havn't fixed this yet in the new version this applies to your vehicle

It appears the DSP cals were mistakenly left out of the 7.5 release.

Fortunately they are still in your

C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7\Calibrations\LB7 or LLY folders.

Copy the DSP5 cals out of your LB7, LLY folders and paste them into

C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Calibrations\LB7 or LLY

Rutan is right about dieselplace.com.

The starter tune thread on that site was written by McRat that runs duramaxdiesels.com, it is a more in depth site for EFILive and is duramax hotrodder specific.

Rob is correct about all the software upgrading and firmware stuff. I got lost after that. I'm not so proficient with the gasser side of the program. No Auto VE or O2 sensors to mess with, MAF is really not used much other than to pull fuel so the truck doesn't smoke as much. Fuel and Timing are basically it, raise a few limiters and you're ready to rock.

I hope this truck has a built transmission or clutch if it's a manual. The stock Allison can only hold about 120hp over stock before it lets loose. On a stock truck EFI Live is capable of 500+ rwhp.

If you havent bought it yet i can get you a discount on the software.

how to starter tune, everyone is very helpful on this site

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88662

Crank It Up diesel quoted me a price of $849 for the software + a free tune, 2 DSP5 switches, and free shipping. The switches are $50 a piece and I have to get 2 of them because we have two trucks. Can you PM me about the discount you can recieve. That would be greatly apprieciated. We are looking to pull these truck in two weeks and we still have to finish the front ends, so I do need to order soon.

Rutan is right about dieselplace.com.

The starter tune thread on that site was written by McRat that runs duramaxdiesels.com, it is a more in depth site for EFILive and is duramax hotrodder specific.

Rob is correct about all the software upgrading and firmware stuff. I got lost after that. I'm not so proficient with the gasser side of the program. No Auto VE or O2 sensors to mess with, MAF is really not used much other than to pull fuel so the truck doesn't smoke as much. Fuel and Timing are basically it, raise a few limiters and you're ready to rock.

I hope this truck has a built transmission or clutch if it's a manual. The stock Allison can only hold about 120hp over stock before it lets loose. On a stock truck EFI Live is capable of 500+ rwhp.

On Duramaxtuner.com the offer a year subscription to their library of tunes for like $200. They have some tunes in there that are supposed to give the stocky Ally some more time. He is getting ready to order and ATS Allison, but untill then it is the stocker.

I have been thinking about just using a tune from someone else for the time being until I become proficient with the program enough to change things and tune myself. If I bought the year access the the library then I can look at more of a variety of tunes.

first thing you want to do is read the manual

then you want to spend alot of time playing and navigating your way threw the software to get used to it

then you want to flash the newest firmware version into your V2 control box

then you want to download the latest version to your computer

then you want to set up all of your MAPs so that they are layed out exactly like the ones in the ECU

then you want to log lots of stuff till you learn whats what and which PIDs you really need

make sure your wideband is setup correctly

make sure your BEN factor in the SAE.GENERIC folder is setup to use the correct commanded fuel PID i had to change mine from GM.AFR to GM.AFR_B

also setup your Filters correctly use OR not AND

example exclude data frames where the throttle moves more then 1% in 1 ms or

exclude data frames of KR > 1 or

exclude data frames of ECT < 180

then be aware that you can export all of the information into excel (very useful ... especially at work :) )

then you want to be aware that you may have to create your own PIDs like for the LS2 there is no PID for injector duty cycle so i had to make one so you want to learn how the SAE.GENERIC folder is set up and how to manipulate it (make a backup copy)

speaking of backing up be aware there are EFI Live files in 2 places, in my computer and a different one that keeps track of your personal stuff in my documents

most important thing is don't give up and don't think you've learned every thing the more you learn the more you realize you don't know.

when you are finally ready to change stuff start with the easy stuff COTP, o2 sensors, torque management, fans. (stuff that isn't going to hurt the car)

i'm not sure how accurate the Auto VE tutorial is for your setup but with the LS2 there was alot of differences from the LS1 so it took awhile for us to get it right but don't worry about driving around forever trying to fill all the cells in just do short driving at first to make sure everything is working properly MAF off LTFT STFT off, closed loop off so on so on. then you can go on the long drive.

well thats all i got time for, lunch break is over.

Good luck

any questions just ask

also Dyno Brian > me

Thank you for all the good info. Alot of it started to confuse me a bit, but hopefully I'll have it soon enough to get familiarized with it all. I will however be refering back to this post.

Edit: I am downloading the manual right now from EFILive.com and I am going to get a jump start on learning all of this.

I am going to pick this thing up tomorow from a local place. I have spent the last two days nose deep in these manuals and on the software demo version, just trying to get familiar with is. I can honestly say im nervous. It might just be so much unfamiliar information at one time. Maybe once I get it and can play with it out of demo mode it will be easier. If someone who knows their way around EFI Live wants to meet me for a quick walkthrough of the basics tomorow night or Thurs I will buy dinner. I learn way better hands on and with a person better than anything. Maybe its the retard in me.

Ok well I am in the process of this as we speak. I wired up the DSP5 switch and now I am working with the program. We have 2 03 duramax's sitting here. 1 was professionally tuned and one I am supposed to do. I found a bounch of tunes on a forum but when I talked to the guy who tuned the one duramax he said that you cant just copy stuff because of a different operating system. I want to copy the exact tune out of the truck that had it done and put it into the other. What do I need to do? I see all of these tunes online but I am scared to take anything because the guy from Crank it up who tuned the first truck said the only way he can tune it is if we e-mail him the stock tune because of the operating system. It think this all made sense. I am getting more familiar with this but I am struggling a bit. I know I can do this I am just getting my self nervous and second guessing.

Ok well I fucked something up. I deal with Cummins and Volvo diesel motors and their programing all day but I have just worked my brain stupid on this. I know I can get familiar with this program. Tonight I installed the DSP5 switch into #49 and #69 pins on the ECU and began to work the EFI Live. I tried my registration and it wouldn't let me out of demo mode to actually conect to the truck so that was stressing me out. Well it started to get dark out and sprinkle a bit so we were going to call it a night. My buddy went to start his truck to drive home and nothing happened. The lights come on, the gauges work, the radio does not work and the fuel pump makes a little queef noise. I am about to loose my mind. Keep in mind I never got EFI to actually conect so I don't see how that could effect it. I even cut the wires to the DSP5 switch so it couldn't make a complete circuit. Now it is stuck in a friends driveway in London.

My buddy is stressed out and becomes horrible to deal with because this thing is his pride and joy. I feel like shit because I am the only person he ever trusts to work on his shit since he has zero knowledge about anything automotive. I really don't want to loose his confidence in me and I am worried I did something wrong. Our other friend pays people to work on all of his shit and the whole time is telling him I don't know enough and his truck is going to throw a rod or some shit. I'm stressed out to the max and just want all of this to be over. I have to get this truck running tomorow and I don't know where to begin. I really need help, and infact I am begging for it. I just need someone to personally help get me started on it just to make this right. I am even willing to pay for it. I appoligize for the being so long and I probably sound like a simple minded douche bag but I am desprate. My buddy spent so much time defending me to everyone and explaining to them that I can make his truck something and I feel I am starting to make us both look shamefull. Their expectations are very high and I do usually get a lot of credit from them when I do prove to them I am capable of things they never thought I was, but this is not going that way.

I need to relax and normally I would be calm and get things worked out but not with this truck. I would really be gratefull if someone could help me. It is asking a lot but I am willing to make it worth it for someone. If anyone has some time to even spare to call me, I would be overly gratefull. Cell=614-348-7854 anytime is a good time for me right now.