First time at track (Mid-Ohio, July 11th)

Buckeye Bullitt

I will be going to Mid-Ohio this Friday for a NASA HPDE. Any advise? I think I have everything on the car ready. I am a little concerned about my battery tiedown, but can't find a better one and it has never been a problem at AX or Trails. Everything else I can think of should be good (tires,brakes,...)

Will anyone one else be there?

Matt

I'll be running Saturday and Sunday and will probably stop out Friday.

Be sure to print out the HPDE tech form from NASA's website and bring it with you. Your battery must be secure, the tech will give it a good shake along with the wheels, seat, and seatbelts.

Do you have a cai? You could take out your headlight for better air to the filter. Some people do this. It may or may not help. What tire pressure are you running?

Do you have a cai? You could take out your headlight for better air to the filter. Some people do this. It may or may not help. What tire pressure are you running?

The intake should be fine (in fender well). Not 100% sure what tire pressures to run. Probably high 30s to start?

Couple of questions...

1) Do you need eye protection (goggles)? I saw it mentioned someplace but no where else mentions it, just a snell rated helmet.

2) Do regular corvettes (non-convertable, non-coup) require a roll bar? I wouldn't think so, but the top is removable.

Thanks,

I wouldnt run higher than 32 psi. 30 should be perfect IMO. Depends on your mods. I believe if your in the 13's you need a helmet which is where you will probablly be.

The intake should be fine (in fender well). Not 100% sure what tire pressures to run. Probably high 30s to start?

Couple of questions...

1) Do you need eye protection (goggles)? I saw it mentioned someplace but no where else mentions it, just a snell rated helmet.

2) Do regular corvettes (non-convertable, non-coup) require a roll bar? I wouldn't think so, but the top is removable.

Thanks,

To be honest, make sure your car runs well and that everything is solid. Do not worry about stuff like tire pressure and car specifics. Trust me, you'll feel like a noob once things get going. After you have the first driver's meeting, the last thing you'll be thinking about is how your car is setup.

Also, I just got my track booklet thing in the mail that my instructor filled out with specific advice for me and what to work on as well as everything I did well on. It's very neat. I can't wait to go back. Good luck.

Ray and I will both be up there both saturday and sunday though only as volunteers to help pay for our event in august. I'll come find you Matt at some point.

I can't say for sure about the Vettes but if the top is removable you should be able to remove it(they let the vert cars run top down).

Matt, get that battery down good as they will want it very secure.

Ray and I will both be up there both saturday and sunday though only as volunteers to help pay for our event in august. I'll come find you Matt at some point.

I can't say for sure about the Vettes but if the top is removable you should be able to remove it(they let the vert cars run top down).

Matt, get that battery down good as they will want it very secure.

Unfortunately, I will only be there on Friday. I can't wait though. Should be a lot of fun. I realize my driving skills are about 0, so I am not expecting much the first time.

The reason I asked about the corvette was that I read somewhere that "anything without a fixed top had to have a roll bar." Since technically you can remove the top of a corvette (?not fixed?), does that mean all corvettes not just convertibles need a roll bar?

The reason I asked about the corvette was that I read somewhere that "anything without a fixed top had to have a roll bar." Since technically you can remove the top of a corvette (?not fixed?), does that mean all corvettes not just convertibles need a roll bar?

just the verts.

just the verts.

Thanks, What about the eye protection/goggles? I read somewhere that they were required in addition to a helmet, but no where else mentions this(including the tech sheet). I just want to make sure I have everything. My biggest fear (other than crashing) is to get there and not be able to run.

Thanks and sorry for all the questions.

I am desperately trying to get my car in order for mid-ohio at this moment.

Today (money permitting):

1) Mount/balance anzenis

2) Go to BAP and get rear axle

3) Install rear axle

4) Install new brakes/rotors

5) Bleed brakes

6) Alignment

7) Tune at IPS at 3pm

Anyone want to help :) ?

If I get even half of this shit done I will be there. I'll post back up here tonight.

Unfortunately, I will only be there on Friday. I can't wait though. Should be a lot of fun.

Gotcha, guess I won't see ya then. I'm sure your going to have a lot of fun, I'm doing my first one at MO next month for all 3 days!!

AJ, are you going up just friday as well? I will be there sat/sun like I said.

Also, anyone planning on the next event in August at MO?? Ray and I will be there for all 3 days in the S2000.

I'll be there friday as well, and in tech on sat-sun. My car is essentially ready, but there's some fit/finish to do tonight. I'll be in the red Cougar.

On the track: DO NOT ABUSE YOUR CAR. You're not drag racing, you don't need to bang gears, ever. You won't be needing the extra half horse power from a removed headlight, it won't matter. Just be smooth, take it easy on your syncros and watch your temperature. Roll on and off the brakes and don't overheat them (ask your instructor to help you). Your power steering fluid may boil, but it's not a big deal. :)

I will recomend checking your tires pressure, just to make sure you're not rolling anything. If you can, chalk a white line on your side wall and it will tell you how they're doing.

I wont be able to make it, I have an HPDE the weekend after at Gingerman. Just make sure you follow the lines and dont overdrive. I would highly suggest riding in car with someone of an instructor level before you go out just so you can see how the course is supposed to be driven, it will really help out when you drive.