For the CR Hillbilies

XChris1632X

12V and 24V are like H22's to honduh fanatics. I swear the 24V was the Cummins brute everyone loved, I will check myself.

Just from some quick searching it looks like both engines have a large following of people picking one over the other for different reasons.

12v - less stuff to break, easier to work on, better fueling?

24v - better flow (obviously), more potential peak hp

The guys I know must just happen to be fans of the 12v

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It didn't beat the mustang, but 12's ain't bad.

I plan on getting a 24V next spring. I've been dying for a diesel truck for sometime. Nobody round Columbus has a fast diesel.

you should go to LARUE and watch the trucks run there, alot of the boys from woodstock are running 11 second cummins. I think dan toops truck on here is running 12's.

We've got a 2001 Dodge Cummins 4x4. It's a 6-spd truck, and it has the HO 24v motor (505 ft/lbs). We have a Diamond Eye exhaust that's waiting to go on, and I'd like to get an Edge tuner for it. It's a great, powerful truck.

You all have so much to learn, There has been a cummins rail that hit the 6's this year. Mind you these are low budget rigs, that a bunch of hillbillys put together!LOL.

8000lbs trucks running 10's and they drive to the track, and pull there campers there!

jeff dean has a fast duramax. it was at the track alot last year. i belive it went 12s. he owns a shop located in lancaster called on track automotive. i think he does alot of pulling.

Probably did a late model 24V swap, those early diesel motors are garbage and most were non-turbo.

The non turbo junk ones where in the late 70s. All of the dodge diesels post 89 are 6BT based cummins engines, weather 12 or 24 valve, all turbo. The VE pumps (89-94)are easy to turn up, but are limited on the top end due to the pump head size (12MM I belive)

If you want to go nutty, pick up a VW diesel with a VE pump, and swap on the pump from a 4BT cummins. same pump body, bigger pump head. If you can keep the kraut diesel from poping head gaskets, you can put enough fuel to make 275/450 in an engine that will fit in a small vehicle.

Actually I've seen a local truck with 300hp 500+ torque. That's gotta be quick right?

My truck passed this the day I put exhaust on it.

Scotty2Hotty are you thinking about going to the Urbana pulls on Aug 2nd? I am thinking about pulling again there. The only bad thing is there will be a shit ton of fucking Crank it Up Diesel trucks there. Their little circle jerk, blown out of proportion ring of trucks irritates me. Mainly because of Kyle Michaels and all of his dumb fucking nuttswingers. People think this guy is a god and he isn't. Some of the Crank it up trucks are very respected by me, don't get me wrong but I think the hype is what turns me away.

12v - less stuff to break, easier to work on, better fueling?

24v - better flow (obviously), more potential peak hp

The guys I know must just happen to be fans of the 12v

12v are cheaper, easy to work on, and break less stuff all because of the lack of electronic parts. They take a lot more to make the same amount of power as a 24v. There is less to go wrong.

24v makes way more power, and you have the adjustability on the fly of different power levels when using a programer like my Edge Comp box. The biggest thing to go wrong on 24v are the fuel systems, mostly the Injection pump and being the most expensive to replace. All three of mine cost about $1,600 a peice. I have unfortunatly been going through one about once a year.

Both truck suffer from weak auto trans and some rear ends. I have been through both of those already. With my new Injectors I am on borrowed time with my torque convertor.

Can't believe I missed it, I've been wanting to go to that for a while. Aurora 2000? :D

I don't know what turbo yet. Depends on what converter I buy. I am going to be getting a new tranny soon built for unlimited horse power, try to break it warranty for about 7 grand.

It's Pickaway county. They're idiots. Believe me. :D

I went to that pull and was not impressed at all but I didn't see much break.

I think dan toops truck on here is running 12's.

Yes it did run 12's but I believe it was with either a different convertor or different turbo. He is re doing his setup now because his turbo and convertor don't match. He cant get the turbo to spool soon enough. I now run his old injectors he used to get him in the 12s.

We've got a 2001 Dodge Cummins 4x4. It's a 6-spd truck, and it has the HO 24v motor (505 ft/lbs). We have a Diamond Eye exhaust that's waiting to go on, and I'd like to get an Edge tuner for it. It's a great, powerful truck.

Get the Edge comp, your truck will be a completely different truck to drive. You will need a clutch though. Don't waste your money on the Edge with attitude IMO. I hope you have gauges. Be aware of your vp44 if you tap the wire which is what gives you most of the power from an edge box or any tuner of that matter. I know someone who has a redline box for sale. They are the strongest fueling box.

How much do the sleds weigh?

Someone told me that the sled I hooked too Friday was about 32K pounds. They add and delete weights depending on the different classes.

you have to admit that Kyle Michaels truck runs good, its just like drag racing he who has the bigger pockets win ... we went to piketon today and pulled got beat by evan davis again by 6" so its another 2 nd place for us.

My truck passed this the day I put exhaust on it.

Scotty2Hotty are you thinking about going to the Urbana pulls on Aug 2nd? I am thinking about pulling again there. The only bad thing is there will be a shit ton of fucking Crank it Up Diesel trucks there. Their little circle jerk, blown out of proportion ring of trucks irritates me. Mainly because of Kyle Michaels and all of his dumb fucking nuttswingers. People think this guy is a god and he isn't. Some of the Crank it up trucks are very respected by me, don't get me wrong but I think the hype is what turns me away.

This is one of the funniest posts i have ever read on here, you logic on what HP you have is just pisses me off and it makes diesel enthusiast's sound stupid. Its like the guy that stacks two boxs and and add them to his rated HP,LOL. Please try to learn more before you speak. It sounds like you are now getting some nice parts for your truck. Good luck with your truck, they are fun!!!

That is crazy...you only need to see the first like 30 seconds, but I have never seen a truck do doughnuts like this. The 6 second diesel vid is sweet too. I really like diesels and haven't really though about the after market beyond exhaust and tune. There is a lot of good info in this thread for sure.

Scotty2Hotty are you thinking about going to the Urbana pulls on Aug 2nd? I am thinking about pulling again there.

I'd like to go, but at the same time I got drill that weekend, so I'm not too sure if I'll be able to go or not. I go to drill down in Tarlton, so I might be able to make it there in time.

jeff does do alot of pullin but has stop this year do to all the bitching he said and i also think it has been faster than 12's now. he just won a shootout for the dieselpower mag out in utah

Jeff's truck has not been out since the Diesel Power shootout, he was having turbo trouble. He took the engine out last week to rebuild it. There was nothing really wrong with it other than he wants to go faster so pistons, rods, heads, and cam are all in the works.

I think it has gone 11's with the help of NO2, still 12's on fuel only. Soon low 11's maybe 10's on fuel.

I drive it.. it breaks,

Did you guys have any luck with the Duramax you were getting ready to pull?

That is crazy...you only need to see the first like 30 seconds, but I have never seen a truck do doughnuts like this. The 6 second diesel vid is sweet too. I really like diesels and haven't really though about the after market beyond exhaust and tune. There is a lot of good info in this thread for sure.

That dude is one doughnut away from blowing up the whole fucking gas station. what an idiot.

Jeff's truck has not been out since the Diesel Power shootout, he was having turbo trouble. He took the engine out last week to rebuild it. There was nothing really wrong with it other than he wants to go faster so pistons, rods, heads, and cam are all in the works.

I think it has gone 11's with the help of NO2, still 12's on fuel only. Soon low 11's maybe 10's on fuel.

I drive it.. it breaks,

Did you guys have any luck with the Duramax you were getting ready to pull?

i dont pull myself my cousins do and i just help them out they have a dodge

and they are very competitive they are the lee brothers if you go to the pulls you will know who im talkin about there truck is a moroon and sivler xcab dodge

It didn't beat the mustang, but 12's ain't bad.

I plan on getting a 24V next spring. I've been dying for a diesel truck for sometime. Nobody round Columbus has a fast diesel.

Look closer...we're out there;)

12v are cheaper, easy to work on, and break less stuff all because of the lack of electronic parts. They take a lot more to make the same amount of power as a 24v. There is less to go wrong.

24v makes way more power, and you have the adjustability on the fly of different power levels when using a programer like my Edge Comp box. The biggest thing to go wrong on 24v are the fuel systems, mostly the Injection pump and being the most expensive to replace. All three of mine cost about $1,600 a peice. I have unfortunatly been going through one about once a year.

Both truck suffer from weak auto trans and some rear ends. I have been through both of those already. With my new Injectors I am on borrowed time with my torque convertor.

Umm...WRONG!

12v's = THE NO HOLD BARRED, POWER KINGS;) One did 1450hp a couple weeks back, about 400hp ahead of anything with a VP injection pump and 24v's:D The Common Rail 24v's are coming quick though, a couple of them have been DARN close to 1300hp on spray, around 1000hp on fuel only.

Get a clue, and stop spouting off about HP numbers until you get on a dyno and prove them. 200HP injectors and an Edge juice with a stock turbo...please, please stop making the rest of us diesel lovers look bad.

Chris

This is one of the funniest posts i have ever read on here, you logic on what HP you have is just pisses me off and it makes diesel enthusiast's sound stupid. Its like the guy that stacks two boxs and and add them to his rated HP,LOL. Please try to learn more before you speak. It sounds like you are now getting some nice parts for your truck. Good luck with your truck, they are fun!!!

Umm...WRONG!

12v's = THE NO HOLD BARRED, POWER KINGS;) One did 1450hp a couple weeks back, about 400hp ahead of anything with a VP injection pump and 24v's:D The Common Rail 24v's are coming quick though, a couple of them have been DARN close to 1300hp on spray, around 1000hp on fuel only.

Get a clue, and stop spouting off about HP numbers until you get on a dyno and prove them. 200HP injectors and an Edge juice with a stock turbo...please, please stop making the rest of us diesel lovers look bad.

Chris

Actually I never quoted any specific numbers and I was being very sarcastic with what I wrote. Sorry I forgot to use a fucking smiley face or state that I was exagerating. Anyone one that knows me will vouch for that fact that I don't think my truck is all that powerfull, on its way to getting there maybe, but not yet. I don't claim to have very much power because I know I don't and so do people like you who know what they are talking about. All I was sarcastically trying to say was that the numbers he quoted are not crazy high numbers or really all that impressive in the world of highly powerfull diesel trucks. Sorry for any confusion and just for the record so that no one else gets all worked up over another dumb post, for clarification to all my truck is nothing special and I will never try to pass it of to be and is nothing to compare against a highly modified truck.:rolleyes:

And as for the 12v comment I was speaking in regards to a stock to slightly moddified truck. Most people in this thread prob have way more interaction with that type of truck compared to a trailor queen 12v that has been totally worked. I know all vp trucks have their limitations and I do know that most of the biggest hp number trucks happen to be 12v's. I do not know as much about 12ers as I would like to but I am starting to learn more. One day I would like to own one and it would be my pick if I was going to build an all out pulling truck. You my friend need to relax.