Large Hadron Collider nearly ready....

Aaron

"Really Big Things" on discovery chnl did an episode on that. They said the collision site of the two particles reaches some crazy stupid temperature. Something like 3 Trillion Degrees if memory serves right. They compared it exponentially to the temperature of the sun. This is for less than a split second though. Pretty amazing stuff.

^ building that is no where near anything, that could be considered a failure.

The Tacoma Narrows Bridge was considered a marvel too. My bet is that someone just wasted a lot of money.

The Tacoma Narrows Bridge was considered a marvel too. My bet is that someone just wasted a lot of money.

It served as an example to save future generations money. Mistakes are to be learned from. Almost every success is the child of many failures.

Describing a scientific marvel as a waste of money without scope to see its potential is mind-bogglingly ignorant. Of course people tend to lash at things that they can't understand, so here's the WIKI to facilitate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider

If any of you are seriously interested in String Theory, multiple dimensions and physics check out "The Elegant Universe", parts 1-12. It's about 2 hours long, but it will completely blow your mind and describe, in a nutshell, the theory of everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz8JbD3PSec&feature=PlayList&p=2AFF07EDCA918C2C&index=0

It served as an example to save future generations money. Mistakes are to be learned from. Almost every success is the child of many failures.

Describing a scientific marvel as a waste of money without scope to see its potential is mind-bogglingly ignorant. Of course people tend to lash at things that they can't understand, so here's the WIKI to facilitate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider

I did not say we were not going to learn from it. You are putting words in my mouth. My money is on it not working. Due primarily to the complexity and size of the project.

I did not say we were not going to learn from it. You are putting words in my mouth. My money is on it not working. Due primarily to the complexity and size of the project.

Your quote exactly ...

My bet is that someone just wasted a lot of money.

this thread has taken an interesting turn. makes me wonder a couple things...

first, does the doc's opinion that this is "wasted money" stem at all from his beliefs, or more succinctly, his disbelief in the big bang, or is it just a general opinion from an engineering standpoint.

second, are the reactions of the others in this thread to his fairly innocous remarks based on their perception that "everything with the doc is a religious thing", and therefore more vehement than say if v8beast or hal or someone who hasnt been as forthcoming about his views had made the same comments.

curious.

i will say this, doc, you raise hackles almost everywhere you walk in here. right or wrong, i applaud your steadfastness.

this thread has taken an interesting turn. makes me wonder a couple things...

first, does the doc's opinion that this is "wasted money" stem at all from his beliefs, or more succinctly, his disbelief in the big bang, or is it just a general opinion from an engineering standpoint.

i will say this, doc, you raise hackles almost everywhere you walk in here. right or wrong, i applaud your steadfastness.

In the bold.