Audi owners- Input needed

silverhatch

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you goals with the car. Are you looking for 05.5+ new body cars I assume? Cause there was a model year split half way through 05.

The new 2.0L is just a bigger diplacement, upgraded 1.8L T motor. While they tend to have a poor reputaton for coilpacks failing and other little gremlins the motor itself is dead stone reliable if maintained and as long as you don't try to make a million HP out of it.

If your goals are a 300hp+ daily driver you've got the wrong car in mind.

However, my 1.8T '99 has over 165K on the clock now, origional turbo, origional bottom end, etc that's been chipped for >100K miles. About ready for it's second timing belt service with NO major failures ever. Despite interweb rumors of horror stories with Audi's I swear my A4 is the best car I've ever owned...PERIOD.

Andy

I'm looking for a reliable daily driver but it doesn't have to be 300+ hp. I probably won't be added very many modifications if any. I need something all wheel drive because of where I live. I'd like to stick with something turbo also for the power. I would like something also a little "older" person looking than the sti and roomier since I have 2 kids now.

The salesman told us about the coilpacks but that sounds like a small issue and pretty cheap to fix if goes bad. I am looking at a 05.5 and has the 2.0.

As I conveyed over PM, the 2.0T is a great motor. Buy CPO and you won't have to worry for years and years about any failures as it is all under warranty. I use MAG and have nothing but great things to say. All maintenance is free until 50k, but when you buy the car for 600-700bux you can get the maintenance plan which covers the rest and even pays for the timing belt job @ 75k. You can go the first 75-100k with virtually no maintenance costs.

While not the beast the STi will be with mods, they responde quite well to a couple simple things.

Testpipe & Flash let me put down 290tq to all 4. Makes the car TONS of fun and it gets insane gas mileage. 2.0T + Flash = K04'd 1.8T. Definately get the 2.0T.

:)

I really want a new Subaru but he's not going to get a loan for me to have one. Please don't disown me!!! :D

Hatfield right now has a Legacy GT for 16.

Atleast last itme I looked. My buddy got a 05 gt for 16 just a few months ago.

Legacy GT 2.5 Turbo ;) ~250whp with exhaust and tune

We originally we going to buy an LGT but I wanted the Sti instead. I have been working on him to get an LGT but he has looked at the Audi and loves it, so I'm in trouble. The next choice of car will come back to me (we alternate turns) so maybe another Subie will be mine someday.

We originally we going to buy an LGT but I wanted the Sti instead. I have been working on him to get an LGT but he has looked at the Audi and loves it, so I'm in trouble. The next choice of car will come back to me (we alternate turns) so maybe another Subie will be mine someday.

Welcome to the family.

:D

Sorry Ben. :p

Everyone I know who has had an A4 has replaced wheel bearings like it's going out of style. That and ball joints. I think overall they are pretty solid cars though.

If you do end up getting one (or a VW), I can highly recommend Motorkars on King Ave downtown.

Everyone I know who has had an A4 has replaced wheel bearings like it's going out of style. That and ball joints. I think overall they are pretty solid cars though.

If you do end up getting one (or a VW), I can highly recommend Motorkars on King Ave downtown.

+1 For Motorkars. Crazy professional guys with a ton of experience in the vw family.

It's odd I've never had any problems out of my Audi's. Maybe people like to run 30psi in their 18's and hit potholes like they are going out of style. Havn't a clue.

19' wheels on my car for the last 100K miles, and it's slammed, no problems yet. Same goes for the ball joints though there is FINALLY some play in them at 165K miles on the clock. Can't really fault the parts for that one.

Although I will note, my car is the dreaded front drive (GASP!) that all of the Audi guys shun. If I had to do it over agian I'd buy another front driver. My personal feeling is it's better for long term maintenance, which mine has shown to be, BUT aftermarket pars are much harder to find for the front drivers.

andy

You can't go wrong with a Turbo Audi though :) I would give up my WRX for a S4 any day:)

I was going to get one just before I got the STI, then I saw how expensive they are to fix. And they need fixing a lot from what I have read. There was an owner that carries Coil packs in the trunk because they go bad so often so he doesn't want to get stranded on the road. Another Guy posted, that is standard practice for a TT S4. A A4 and S4 are really quite different.

AWD cars in general seem to need wheel bearings replaced a bit more than 2wd cars...atleast thats from the experiences i've had.

B5 audi's had the ball joint problem...b6's and b7's (2002+) do not have those problems.

Supposedly i have the most unreliable audi of them all, a B5 S4...it has not been bad at all.