Opinions wanted - Wheels Here

TTQ B4U

you do understand that before a wheel company can sell a wheel it goes through way more rigorous tests than your 4,000 lb sled would ever put a wheel through...right?

Yes, even the chinabay wheels are tuv ect. However, tell that to the numerous owners who have hit potholes in the cheap rims and had a large piece(s) come off/huge stress cracks.

If you don't think there is a distinct difference between the $99 wheel and we'll say for argument forged BBS wheel in overall stress resistance and strength I am going to slap you with a trout.

:D

i took an oem wheel off an 04 m3 with a crack from a pothole the other day, not to mention tons of audi/vw wheels. matter of fact I've seen tons of oem wheels crack probably over a hundred in just a few years time.

the root of this story, is that any wheel is going to crack or bend to a point where its useless and not holding air if you hit the right hole/object i dont care who makes it.

i took an oem wheel off an 04 m3 with a crack from a pothole the other day, not to mention tons of audi/vw wheels. matter of fact I've seen tons of oem wheels crack probably over a hundred in just a few years time.

the root of this story, is that any wheel is going to crack or bend to a point where its useless and not holding air if you hit the right hole/object i dont care who makes it.

I know you work in the "industry" so this will be repetitive for you, but maybe other people aren't as savy.

Forging uses intense heat and pressure to transform a [solid} slug of alloy material into the final shape of a wheel. Forged aluminium is about 300 per cent stronger than cast aluminium, yet less material is needed to produce the same "cast alloy wheel", which results in a lighter product. Because of the basic limitations inherent in forging, most forged wheels are two or three piece units. In two-piece construction, a centre is forged and welded or bolted into a spun or stamped outer rim. In a three-piece wheel, the centre is bolted to an inner and an outer rim half. This stands as an advantage of being easily customisable for a variety of widths and offsets.

Casting is a relatively inexpensive way to produce a high-quality, fairly strong alloy wheel. There are two methods used. One, system is known as gravity casting... whereby the molten material is poured into a mold and allowed to cool. These molds are usually made by machining a piece of material on CNC machine equipments to produce a wheel that only requires minor finishing (like drilling or possibly trimming of some excess metal) to be considered complete. The other and better system used is the low pressure or negative pressure casting. Here instead of pouring the molten material into the mould, the molten alloy is drawn up into the mould using a high-pressure vacuum. This eliminates much of the trapped air found in gravity casting process, producing a stronger wheel that is less porous than a gravity-cast one.

i love you oh god of the audi's....ps did you pick a damn tire yet?

Still torn as hell to be honest sir, maybe you can render your opinion.

Love to have the contiextreme, but heard they have somewhat weak/mushy sidewalls and prone to stress. Although that was a generation or two ago, and seem to be better now. -(only availble in 96 load rating)

Next up, the Falken XE-912's look promising, not nearly as good in the snow as the conti, but great treadwear and generally fantastic reviews. +(comes in 100 load rating)

Kuhmo ASX, Have these on the A4 now, decent tire in the dry, not fantastic in the wet, but managed to get me through a foot+ of snow this winter without a problem. Great treadwear, +(comes in 100 load rating)

If they weren't soo pricey I'd really like to put the pilot A/S on here, and I still might as the S8 wont' see many miles a year.

Decisions, Decisions.

why not pick up a set of mazda 3 17" wheels for about half that.

x2. Pick up my Snowflakes once I get new rims/tires. Ultimate sleeper w/ Mz3 rims. They'll never see it coming and the Ricers might lay off ya' if they think you're a Regular 3.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k10/tripleskate/DSC01202.jpg

Sorry photobucket resize failed.

contiextreme = Flat spotting every morning, annoying as hell.

If they weren't soo pricey I'd really like to put the pilot A/S on here, and I still might as the S8 wont' see many miles a year.

That is what I have in the garage right now (Pilot A/S 235/45/17) that will be put on the STI in October. I hear they are pretty good.