Why do I love Cobras?

Guest Hal

You know why I love cobras? Because they make me realize that I am glad I have a chevy.:D J/K I had to throw something out there. Really though I have a big sweet spot for just about any 03 or 04 Cobra, especially a black one. I have just not known as many people with them.

i knew those aluminators would turn out to be junk. i've bought plenty of parts from tousely ford---they have ford GT pumps for super cheap, i also bought my whipple from them for under $3k. i'll also be getting an 8.8 housing from them this year--$500 or so.

This is why. They were built to take abuse. Most people don't do a motor swap like this when the pop the stock one.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116418

Fast forward to post 15 for some good stuff.

I would agree if I didnt see one lock up a motor trying to keep up with my "POS" Colt on the top end. :gtfo:

And 1 Minute of reading netted me this. Quoting the owner of the car.

"Currently the injectors are maxed at 36 PSI. Car makes 1000 at the wheels thru the 4r70W. We made this power long ago but it took 7 motors to figure out how to keep it together."

Yep. Thats one sweet piece of Ford engineering alright...

I would agree if I didnt see one lock up a motor trying to keep up with my "POS" Colt on the top end. :gtfo:

that's a well-known problem with these cars. for every problem, there's a solution. a $120 solution to cool the cylinder heads--ford never claimed their engineers were that smart.

And 1 Minute of reading netted me this. Quoting the owner of the car.

"Currently the injectors are maxed at 36 PSI. Car makes 1000 at the wheels thru the 4r70W. We made this power long ago but it took 7 motors to figure out how to keep it together."

Yep. Thats one sweet piece of Ford engineering alright...

Read further, all motors were lost with a hole in at least one piston. Also read that he tried more than just stock engines. That is tuning my friend. They ran into some problems with lean conditions at one point because of the 99-01 Cobra intake they were running. With the BS3 they can control the amount of fuel delivered to each cylinder individually.

As for your buddy locking up his motor, he should've known better. He shouldn't have been doing any top end pulls without the even cooling mod.

that's a well-known problem with these cars. for every problem, there's a solution. a $120 solution to cool the cylinder heads--ford never claimed their engineers were that smart.

Oh, I know. But this was back in 04 when they were newer, and the issue was still mostly unknown.

Read further, all motors were lost with a hole in at least one piston. Also read that he tried more than just stock engines. That is tuning my friend. They ran into some problems with lean conditions at one point because of the 99-01 Cobra intake they were running. With the BS3 they can control the amount of fuel delivered to each cylinder individually.

As for your buddy locking up his motor, he should've known better. He shouldn't have been doing any top end pulls without the even cooling mod.

Are you trying to write off Seven, count them Seven fucking motors as "Thats tuning?!?!" You kidding me?

I need some of that Ford Dank your smoking. :gtfo:

Are you trying to write off Seven, count them Seven fucking motors as "Thats tuning?!?!" You kidding me?

I need some of that Ford Dank your smoking. :gtfo:

You really think you can't pop 7 motors due to poor tuning? What are you smoking? Keep in mind, he has had this car built for a few years now. 7 motors due to tuning issues over a couple years is completely possible. Read on, he even states tuning was the issue on most.

PS. I'm a little sick of everyone saying I'm a Ford guy. I don't like Ford, I like 03-04 Cobras.

HEAT, lean condition, incorrect timing, but for you Cobra owners I'll bet heat has alot to do with it.

Not on turbo cars with the even cooling mod. IAT2 temps are lowered significantly.

You really think you can't pop 7 motors due to poor tuning? What are you smoking? Keep in mind, he has had this car built for a few years now. 7 motors due to tuning issues over a couple years is completely possible. Read on, he even states tuning was the issue on most.

PS. I'm a little sick of everyone saying I'm a Ford guy. I don't like Ford, I like 03-04 Cobras.

You can pop 230857123 Motors if the tuning is off, but then

1) Why would you not change the tune?

2) If your an idiot and cant tune your car, why cant you switch tuners?

3) a GOOD Motor should have SOME resistance to a lean condition, or detonation. Ran my motor to 14 to 1 numerous times since I was out of injector. 700+whp later, 2 years, and the motor is still running storng.

For these reasons, I see no excuse for the motor eating Cobra.

You can pop 230857123 Motors if the tuning is off, but then

1) Why would you not change the tune?

2) If your an idiot and cant tune your car, why cant you switch tuners?

3) a GOOD Motor should have SOME resistance to a lean condition, or detonation. Ran my motor to 14 to 1 numerous times since I was out of injector. 700+whp later, 2 years, and the motor is still running storng.

For these reasons, I see no excuse for the motor eating Cobra.

Maybe 1 and 2 are are good points. I don't see any reason for them to have popped so many. A lean condition plus too much timing would be a bad thing. I'm simply pointing out that a stock longblock can hold that type of power with a good tune.