Ambien?

Slimpsy1647545505

I've been having trouble sleeping more than 4 hours a night and getting to sleep in general so my doctor prescribed me Ambien today. I have no experience with this drug nor do I know anyone that has used it. . so I was wondering if any of you take it and if it worked or didn't work for you.

this is NOT a permanent solution. i don't care what the commercials say, i would avoid using this for a prolonged period of time. i give this all the time for people in the hospital to help them get some sleep---the hospital is a very difficult place to sleep--but i refuse to prescribe it once they leave. i'm not an internal medicine doctor though.

i just don't think an otherwise healthy young adult needs a sleeping pill, unless something else is going on.

this is NOT a permanent solution. i don't care what the commercials say, i would avoid using this for a prolonged period of time. i give this all the time for people in the hospital to help them get some sleep---the hospital is a very difficult place to sleep--but i refuse to prescribe it once they leave. i'm not an internal medicine doctor though.

i just don't think an otherwise healthy young adult needs a sleeping pill, unless something else is going on.

Free prescriptions??

And there you go. I hate medication I cant even stand taking something for a headache. There is something else in your life causing you to not be able to sleep. Diet/ exersice / maybe you are in need of a new bed. Stress could also cause it.

I am no professional. But kirk is. I would say the medication should be last resort if all else has failed.

There is something else in your life causing you to not be able to sleep. Diet/ exersice

QFT

Improving on these 2 things has made a profoundly positive impact on my sleep over the years. That being said, I'm no doctor. I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.

If that doesn't work, perhaps try the tried-and-true "overdose on whores and beers then pass out" approach...:p

tons of things that can cause difficulty getting to sleep---eating too late, caffeine (sounds obvious, but people who drink caffeinated pop at dinner could still be feeling the effects), depression, stress--new job, etc. etc.

This man speaks the truth.

Too many people treat the symptom and not the problem. Not getting enough sleep isn't the problem, it has to be somewhere else.

......and personally, my sleep is shitty after beers or anything PM(Tylenol/Advil)...I go to sleep, it's just not as relaxing.

this is NOT a permanent solution. i don't care what the commercials say, i would avoid using this for a prolonged period of time.

yep.

The six pack of soda today and the two cups of coffee with dinner might have something to do with it too.

I do not normally take pills, but Ambien is one of the few that I will. I have a random insomnia problem. I used to stay up sometimes all night just waiting to go to sleep. It was as if my body was asleep, but my mind would not stop. It actually drove me to do some pretty weird/crazy and dangerous stuff at times. My family doctor prescribed Ambien to me and I LOVE it. I only take it when I know I am going to have an insomnia episode. All I can tell you is when you take it you better be in bed. I can never remember getting sleepy, turning off the TV, or setting my alarm. I usually can be wide awake watching TV and then wake up the next morning with no memory of anything. The great thing is I do not feel groggy after 7 hours of sleep. It basically seems to knock me out, erase my memory, and then leave sometime in the middle of the night like a bad date. The pill is the size of a large mouse turd. Take it with plenty of water because it can get stuck in your throat easily.

I have never had the bad experience that Hal obviously has, but I do not doubt it for a second. I wouldn't be surprised if someone were to tell me that they were an Oompa-Loompa while on this shit. I read on the warning label that came with the prescription that it can make you do random stuff that you are unaware of. This is a well illustrated story of what I read on the warning label:

"...some people become sexually uninhibited and display extreme sexual behavior while on Ambien. Again, most do not remember acting that way or that they engaged in sexual activity when they wake up the next morning. While some may find this to be a side benefit rather than a side effect it can be dangerous. Often the person tends to not have inhibitions about WHO they have sex with. One woman reported that several people who knew she was taking Ambien used it as an opportunity to have sex with her when she normally would not have done so with them."

I did a simple Google search to find that. http://ezinearticles.com/?Ambien-Side-Effects-May-Make-You-Think-Twice-Before-Using-It&id=430781

Again, be careful. :D

A couple years ago I took Ambien for about a month, and it made me feel like shit to the point where I was sleeping even less. Hopefully it'll not do that to you, but I changed my diet, and started working out, along with not stressing so much & thats been helping me more than any drug did.

as others have said, you need to treat the cause, but in my case, when I'm just wired and my brain is going I'll take two Valerian Root to calm me down and help clear my brain from spinning and if I'm not feeling sleepy to begin with one melatonin tab also. within 30 minutes I'll be sleepy as hell and out for the night.

both are safe and natural and work great. sympathy sex from the wife helps too :D

i was gonna say, i sleep better after some rigorous activities...wether it be going to the gym and jogging/biking/swimming, sex, doin work around the house, etc.

doesnt have to be right before bed. i hit the gym about 730 til ~9pm, and if i want to sleep at 9pm or midnight, my body is ready for it

I would not go in and ask for a drug from your physician. Instead, try telling him about your symptoms and listen to what possible solutions he/she suggests. If medication is an option, I would only take that route as a last resort.

Pharmaceutical Co. marketing prescription drugs like this is ludicrous.