Dry nitrous question

Cordell

Anyone experienced in spraying N2O through a MAF please try to answer this. If you are running a certain air fuel ratio under wide open throttle without nitrous, how much should that change when spraying? I am just looking for a theoretical answer to get some idea of what really happens. Should I have to adjust fueling to get a starting point? There is plenty of info out there on timing, but not a very clear definition of fueling a dry set up. Thanks for any info you have, and no I haven't bought anything(for those worried about me getting faster :p ).

I am no expert here but as long as you are not running a huge shot the computer will see the extra air (from the MAF) and add fuel. You run into problems when you tap out your stock injectors. As long as you stay 100 hp or less (most say 150 but I am conservative) you should have enough injector.

So in answer to your original question the same ratio as before the nitrous.

So in answer to your original question the same ratio as before the nitrous.

That is what I was thinking. I think I will richen power enrichment a little anyway. I just hope that my current combination isn't already close to the limits. It is really just a mild cam, not anything crazy.

Anyone else?

agreed.. wet kit is alot safer

No such thing as a SAFE way to use n2o, either way is about the same. My brother has a write-up or atleast links to each of there up and downsides, as soon as I can get a link to them I'll post it up in here.

Guest Removed
No such thing as a SAFE way to use n2o, either way is about the same. My brother has a write-up or atleast links to each of there up and downsides, as soon as I can get a link to them I'll post it up in here.

in a way dry kits are safer. no fuel in the intake stream means no fire. unless a intake valve hangs open then there could be a issue if there is enough fuel to feed the fire!

a up side to a dry kit is that you can freeze the complete intake charge of air!

this is how i hid the kit on my old interga. and how i was making 75hp on a 60hp jet.

rick anderson perfers the dry kits. he adds fuel thru the injection system using his pms systems.

just get the plate system that goes behind the throttle body(wet kit) and be done with it. much easyer to work with in the long run(for a n20 noob). and make sure you run all the safety items. window switch, bottle heater , blow down tube, filters and so on.

I prefer the dry kits. Its all about burning fuel. Injectors atomize fuel better that the plates or nozzles.

The bigest thing effecting the A/F ratio in the LS1 kits is the nozzle placement in relationship to the maf. Most like the nozzle spraying nearly at the maf. I always ran a tune that had increased the P/E when I was using a MAF.

I run A dry kit now but no MAF all the fuel is added with the P/E.

I recomend that you have a wideband on the car when you you first spray it. You will also want to log the car with HPT or EFI live. If you cant tune then have someone there that can. Watch the injector duty cycle so you can see if the fuel system is up to snuff. Fuel pump upgrade is always a good idea with these cars.

I always start out with a really small shot (50shot) with a new kit to check the kits function and the cars reaction to the nitrous.

The LS1 dry kits use the MAF to increase the fuel instead of bumping fuel pressure.

Glad you chimed in Ray. It sounds like I was on the right track. I will be running EFIlive with a wideband. I am in the process of setting up custom operating system 5. What kind of A/F would you be looking for, I'm 12.5-12.8 NA and I was thinking something in the low 11s on spray or should I try richer?

There is no such thing as a safest nitrous kit, they both have drawbacks. You just need to decide the route you prefer and accept the risks associated with that certain kit.

Here are a couple threads to skim:

Nitrous, The Cheap Power Adder? Think Again: http://www.dayton-fbody.com/DFBAbb/viewtopic.php?t=2717

Here's a nice wet vs. dry discussion: http://www.dayton-fbody.com/DFBAbb/viewtopic.php?t=2421

Good info from people who prefer both sides. Read the pros and cons of each and pick your own poison. Neither is the absolute best or safest.