Painter/Mechanics and others experienced with compressors

XChris1632X

I finally got my truck to a clean barn with plenty of room and a compressor to use so I can get this painted. About 20 mins into sanding on my truck yesterday the compressor is spitting water like someone hooked it up to a garden hose. It is a Cambel Hausfeld 60gallon/6hp but only single stage. I know it is a little underpowered for what I like to use but I am trying to make it work. The problem is that with the DA it is running so much that the water is just insane. I know it wont be as bad without the DA but it will be too much to paint with. I went to NAPA today and bought a $50 water trap filter and it isnt catching anything. Infact the water is just going right through it just the same as before. Having a lot of hose shouldn't affect the water build up should it? I am running with about 50 ft of hose attached, but I dont see how that makes a difference. What are some things I can do to make this thing work without water going into my paint job?

I am thinking part of the problem is the fact that I am over working it and it is getting hot and drawing the moisture in. Any other suggestions as to why it is collecting so much moisture? If I was to buy a bigger one, say 80 gallon 2 stage 5.5 hp would that eliminate the moisture since it wont have to run near as much. I have always heard this would be perfect size for what I am doing. The 60 gallon I am using now is just cheap and worn out. I am thinking about either renting one or going and buying a new one.

Will all compressors this size tend to do this? Will it help if I go bigger. I am going to burn this thing up anyways if I keep using it. By the way things have been looking so far it doesn't matter where I put the filter in the line, water is going to pour out. Jesus could hold this filter anywhere in the line and he is going to get soaked with water.

Well the compressor I was using finally gave out fully. I am looking to go buy one tomorow. I am looking at a couple 80 gallon 2 stage compressors right around 5 hp. I have always been told that is a good compressor to paint with and still be able to run DA's and such. I am hoping that I might not have the same issues with water with a bigger compressor and one with a 2 stage motor. My question is which one to get. I really didnt want to spend the 2k on the Ingersol I wanted so I will prob settle for one that is about 800-1k. I am looking a craftsman proffesional and a Cambell Hausfeld. I thought the Craftsman would be a little better product but they are the same exact price and the when I compared them on Sears.com the Cambell seemed to flow a couple more scfm then the Craftsman. Anyone got any recomendations for which to buy? Or should I just rent one from somewhere and not worry about it?