Honda CRX HF - Starting/running problem

dakotart

I believe the problem is the fuel pump relay.

The car will usually start, run for 2-3 seconds and then die. Farther attempts the car barley starts and dies immediately. I can turn the key, without starting several times and get it to start for 2-3 seconds.

Randomly, the car will start with no problem and not die. the above problem seams to be random.

I checked in my haynes manual and it stays that the fuel pump relay for a fuel injected 1991 CRX, is under the drivers side dash next to the fuse panel. The relay is supposed to have 7 or 8 pins (i can't remember but its not the standard 4 pin relay)

I cannot find this relay.

So, Does anyone know if I'm looking in the wrong place? Does anyone have a picture of the relay?

Advanced auto, autozone, and NAPA don't have a listing for the relay. they all asked me to bring in the old one and they can cross reference.

Thanks in advance for any help

-Rich

look a little higher in the dash..its not next to the fuse box!

it almost looks the size of 3 normal relays..

gray box, with a bracket on it. 1 wide plug with 8 pin hole and 7 wires coming out. some pins will have 2 wires coming out of it.

I had some windshield leaks but thought that I had fixed them all. I still have the relay pulled out from under the dash and the new one is in the car. I'm waiting until the next time the problem occurs before trying the new one. Since the day I made this post, I haven't had the problem.

Maybe the windshield is leaking again, however, with the way the relay was mounted, it should not have gotten water inside it.

it happened again today. I went to my brother in laws (2 blocks away) then back home for 5 minutes and then to Kroger. when I went to leave Kroger it started and died.

I swapped in the new relay and it fired right up on the first crank.

I can't see the internal contacts of the old relay from the way that it is soldered. O well. I already bought the new one and I think that its going to fix the overall problem. :-)

Thanks for the insight of the actual problem (water in the car)