PLEASE HELP my dog...

zeitgeist57

My Weimaraner hasn't eaten anything in a day. She's been a little lazy all day long, but played a little bit with her ball earlier this afternoon.

Now, it's almost 7pm. My wife went out to dinner, and I'm here at home, watching my dog throw up in our backyard (watery) and lay in the grass looking miserable.

Anything I should look for? She doesn't seem to be in any pain, and her stool looks fine. We have an apple tree in the back yard and she seems to like eating apples (sometimes the rotton ones)...don't know if that helps at all...

Blue will be 9 years old this coming October 8th. She has a slight inner ear infection that I've been cleaning. Otherwise, no other problems to speak of...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just went out and saw her most recent poop. It looks soft and dark, but not bloody. She also threw up what looks like bits of yellow fruit...almost like pineapple. I'm guessing it's apple, but seems way too yellow...

She looks hungover, but she's drinking the bowl of water I gave her outside...

My dog (and MANY MANY others that I know of) eat apples ALL the time. You can call poison control, but I really don't think there's anything wrong with eating apples, I've never heard anything about it. Sounds nerdy, but I'm on a dog forum and we talk about this kind of stuff all the time.

Anyway,

I think it might be a stomach bug, dogs get them too. Try to at least hold off on food until her belly settles down a bit. If you take her to the vet and it's the stomach bug they can put them on antibiotics that will make them better in a few days. Then, you can maybe try some boiled chicken or rice, it's easy on their stomach. It's good that she's drinking some water. If you can, check her temp.

Taking her to the vet would definitely give you a piece of mind :)

Sounds like your dog could be eating fermented apples. Very possible she's experiancing a hangover if she's eaten to many. I've seen a few animals that have done it. Squirrels and the occasional deer that are all drunk.

This guy may be on to something. The natural sugars in the apples could easily ferment when they rot. Shouldn't be an issue, but if the dog doesn't eat tomorrow I would get her checked out to make sure.

We're going to take to her to the vet tomorrow. I try to throw the apples away, but there are a ton of them out there. I know I don't get all of them...can't be helped.

Thanks for everyone's help. She's sleeping now. She drank some water and held it down....

My dog (and MANY MANY others that I know of) eat apples ALL the time. You can call poison control, but I really don't think there's anything wrong with eating apples, I've never heard anything about it. Sounds nerdy, but I'm on a dog forum and we talk about this kind of stuff all the time.

At obedience school there were a few times where dogs were "out sick" from eating apples. So while the dog may not DIE, it doesn't seem like a GOOD thing for them to eat.

No need to see a vet if the dog is drinking and holding it down, i've had alot of dogs as long as i could remember, just sounds like a sick dog. Taking muds advice to see if there is abdominal pain is definately a good idea though.

She just got up to go outside...had a really hard time getting up...she's hunching her back and acting like her back legs are gimpy. She also looks barrel-chested to me...

I'm fearing bloat...wife is coming home from dinner and I may take her over to the vet...:(

Suck it up and grab the checkbook / credit card and hit the emergency vet office.

I'm a sap for dogs and have spent more than I care to admit caring for our two Boxers over the years.

Most recently our male was hit hard with what they believe to have been meningitis. Tests came back inconclusive, but they treated him for 30 days nonetheless and thankfully he's back to normal after weeks of struggling and nearly not getting up without terrible pain. It was fairly expensive and exhaustive in terms of testing and treating, but he's my buddy and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

She just got up to go outside...had a really hard time getting up...she's hunching her back and acting like her back legs are gimpy. She also looks barrel-chested to me...

I'm fearing bloat...wife is coming home from dinner and I may take her over to the vet...:(

If the dog is throwing up for more than a day, get an appt at your vet asap, or go to emergency services (I work at the OSU Vet Hospital ER, (614)292-3551).

I'm not sure about the consequences of eating apples specifically, but I do know that dogs do not need vitamin C (which happens to be in apples) because im pretty sure their body manufactures it on their own...

best wishes for your dog,

Erin

I'm not sure about the consequences of eating apples specifically, but I do know that dogs do not need vitamin C (which happens to be in apples) because im pretty sure their body manufactures it on their own...

best wishes for your dog,

Erin

"DOG"- your best sourse of vitamin C. Pet's will be disappearing left and right.

Alot of good info spread thoughout this thread. It is very possible it's the apples. SOmeone in here said that it's ok for them to eat apples, so it must be ok for the dogs. WRONG. If you can, check its temp. If it's above 101, be worried.

Either way, to be sure, just go to the vet. And don't let it eat apples. Rotten or otherwise.

What about apples is bad for dogs?

My German Shepherd gets a stomach ache all the time but he eats anything he can get in his mouth. I laughed my ass off one day I was picking up poop and found one of the wife's socks that he shit out.

Our husky once got a hold of a bunch of Hershey kisses. We didn't know about it until a few days later when the wife saw the foil out in the backyard.... in the shit piles.....

:lol:

that's scarey as chocolate is toxic for dogs.

our male this season was getting into peaches that were falling from the nieghbors tree.

I didn't know until I say him puke up like 5-6 pits at one time on two different occasions. Not sure what I was thinking the first time, other than WTF :confused:

The next time he did it though I went and watch him in the yard. Like a fucking vacuum cleaner he was. That explains why I never saw any peaches on the grass :o

Our husky once got a hold of a bunch of Hershey kisses. We didn't know about it until a few days later when the wife saw the foil out in the backyard.... in the shit piles.....

:lol: