DirecTV vs Time Warner?

Slimpsy1647545505

Currently, and for the past 8 years I've been a Time Warner customer. . .and before them I was with another cable provider. I've never had satellite service so I don't know how reliable it is . . . or even how good it would suit me, as I would still need to keep roadrunner through time warner.

So I thought I'd come here and ask before I made a bad choice. I just know I'd like to have more HD access, and I know DirecTV has some 130 HD channels, where as time warner only has about 20 or so.

So, any suggestions? Should I just stick with Time Warner or is it a good time to switch over????

I was on DirecTV from 2000-2002. I got rid of them when I moved. My biggest complaint was that I'd lose the signal in a heavy snow or rain storm. That drove me nuts, hence I dropped them. I've heard that it's gotten better, but when I was at my father's last weekend up in Michigan, with all that rain they got, he lost his signal a few times. So who knows if it's really better than it used to be... :o

I had Dish Network a few years ago and my biggest complaint was the signal dropping during heavy rain. It didn't happen often but it was enough to drive me nuts since when the weather is bad that is most likely when you are going to be in the house watching tv. I only kept it for 1 month and got rid of it.

I haated Direct TV. We didn't even have to have a BAD storm, and we would lose signal. Maybe it is a bit better now though... I'd hope so cause it couldnt have gotten any worse.

Your dish is/was pointed wrong.

For me to loose signal, I have to not be able to see outside.

DirecTV rules.

DirecTV rules.

There are always two very distinct arguments about DirecTV, one is you lose signal in the rain, the other is if you ever lose signal your dish must be on backwards.

So, what's the secret to "properly" orienting a dish? I haven't tried Dish in the past and this is a sticking point for me, unless there is some reliable way to point the dish how do I know I won't end up like every other unhappy customer?

DirecTV rules.

+10000

Cable sucks I would never go back. Even during the heavy winds last week our Direct TV never went out. We have RARELY ever had a problem.

There are always two very distinct arguments about DirecTV, one is you lose signal in the rain, the other is if you ever lose signal your dish must be on backwards.

So, what's the secret to "properly" orienting a dish? I haven't tried Dish in the past and this is a sticking point for me, unless there is some reliable way to point the dish how do I know I won't end up like every other unhappy customer?

1. Put it somewhere without trees, or if you cant, trim the trees out of the way.

2. Mount it to something completely solid.

3. Use this calculator and installation guide to determine where to point it: http://directv.com/DTVAPP/customer/dishPointer.jsp?_requestid=78077

4. Fine tune for optimum signal, mine is a constant 99% on a clear day.

5. ????

6. Profit

The only thing about DirecTV for my family is that it is starting to get expensive to have so many different services for things in my house that we are considering switching U-verse again (we were going to when the started the service in my area, but my mom backed out for some reason). It would be a nice way to consolidate all of our services together.

I haven't had DirecTV for about 5 years. When I did have it I had very little issue with it. I installed it myself and kept working at aiming it until I had awesome signal, and it would only blip once in a while in the severest of storms. IMO most installers just aim it and leave, and that sucks. I have Time Warner now, it's not bad but it's not great either. I do have to say my RoadRunner is faster than anyone else I know with simmilar service. I would rather have DirecTV instead of cable.

Direct TV over cable.

NFL ticket or any sports venue you prefer

BBCA - Top Gear

BTN - Havent miss an OSU game (Im living in georgia so I dont know if BTN is on cable providers in Ohio so this could be irrelevant)

The bad

Goes out in severe storms thats it.

And the contract 18 months vs cable no contract.

4 years ago , my direct tv would go out in a bad storm , heavy snow or even if it was cloudy . Since 2 years ago I have not had it go out for any reason . I do not know if they upgraded anything or not , all I know is I have not had a problem for atleast 2 years .

So Direct tv is > cable

Blahahahahah you guys who "lose signal" must have had one of those mexican satellite installers set you up. Its all about dish pointing, if its not right then yeah a little puffy cloud could throw your signal down a bit.

The satellite coordinates come in the set up instructions. First and most important LEVEL THE DISH MOUNT. If its not level you will spend hours even finding the satellites.

If you really wanna set it up right get a really good installer to come out with the special dish pointing tool that they use to fine tune it.

Mine only goes out when its so bad outside that everything should be turned off anyway.

I've had TW, dishnetwork, and now have directv and I'll never use the others. They are completely crap and cost way to much for their crap.

Oh and don't buy a contract. I always buy the gear up front at best buy or where ever and just pay the sub monthly. You get it at a much cheaper rate and who cares in 2-3 years if your equipment is old. you saved 2-3 times the cost of the new equipment and can go buy yourself and upgrade whenever you want.

Evan

Yeah, the best thing to do is to go to best buy and buy your own equipment. Especially equipment that has been opened already. My dad got a hell of a deal on two brand new Hughes receivers about 7 years ago that had been opened but returned for whatever reason.