Need Police/Animal Control Assistance

Razorback

Okay fellas, need some input here. I'm having a problem with a neighbor here in Gahanna. These people have 3 dogs that they frequently let out and they run around the yards in the area. 2 of them just chased the g/f down the street and tried to bite her. I've called Animal Control before this (they're actually on their way out for this incident tonight). What are the laws on this matter, and what do I need to do to ensure these clowns stop doing this? I can get it on video if I need to, but don't know if anyone will even spend the time to look into it? Any cops on this board, please chime in. I like animals, but if the dogs are going to be outside, they should be on leashes. We keep ours on leashes when they go outside. Thanks much for your time.
  • Upvote 1

last time i checked. A dog in ohio has to be on a leash, and if not on one. in a fenced yard. Trained to not leave the yard, or has a invisable fence. Up here in cleveland If ur dog is cought running around loose the animal control takes the dog to the pound if found. Then you will be paying a fine, and haveing a ticket for it. plus my city has a noise ordanance law. after 10pm all dogs shouldbe inside so not to be barking outside,

and anything that makes noise can be sided after 10pm.

You live near Putty?

?

last time i checked. A dog in ohio has to be on a leash, and if not on one. in a fenced yard. Trained to not leave the yard, or has a invisable fence. Up here in cleveland If ur dog is cought running around loose the animal control takes the dog to the pound if found. Then you will be paying a fine, and haveing a ticket for it. plus my city has a noise ordanance law. after 10pm all dogs shouldbe inside so not to be barking outside,

and anything that makes noise can be sided after 10pm.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't want to see them lose their dogs, I just want them to follow the laws like everyone else. I'll just keep on this course. If it happens again, I'll call again and ask if a video is necessary.

You live near Putty?

That was the first thing I thought of too!

Buwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Muwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay I'm done.

not sure of the exact situation, but when a dog sees you running, its chase instinct kicks in. fast body movements and high pitched screaming will only make it worse. when you start running, they will start chasing and when they start chasing they definitely try to nip and bite you. its just how their brain works...

best course of action is when approached by a dog, remain calm and still. make slow deliberate movements. things that are not making noise or moving are boring for the dog. what the dog finds boring, it will soon leave alone.

the average person cant outrun the average dog. maybe usain bolt could...

im not trying to say these people should let their dogs run all over town. absolutely not.... but just some insight from a dogs POV :)

So slowly pull your gun...

rofl.

first, i'd get animal control involved (like you're doing), and also talk with your neighbor. let them know that you will take a golf club to the dogs' heads if they come at you or your gf again. sounds cruel, but it is what it is--and i have 2 dogs. bring the golf club to show your neighbor what part of the club you will hit the dogs with--that should do the trick.

worked for me in the past when I needed to resolve a skunk issue. found him dead about two weeks later under a deck in neighbors yard. /that problem.

^^ lol.

christ u people are evil in cbus.

kick the dog that is chasing you in the head.... eventually it will get the idea that chasing humans is a bad idea.

chunks of beef marinated in radiator fluid, toss them in their yard in very early morning so they get them upon being let out as they wake up. repeat as needed. /problem.

That will work great. Might even get a few squirrels/coons while your at it. Cut the tails off for me if you do it:-)

Evan

lol you guys are killin' me w/ these suggestions. :) I did see the Animal Control guys show up last night and they did go up to the house. I hope they made no bones about the fact that these people are breaking the law and fines and loss of the animals could be involved. This was our second time calling, but by no means was it only the second incident. If I see the dogs out without leashes again, I will get video and call a third time and offer the video as proof.

Thanks very much for the feedback. :)

Don't shoot the dog, unless it took a piece of you with it as it left. Shoot the owner for being a negligent peice of shit. Sure, the dog can occasionally be houdini and get of a fence or whatever, but if the owner doesn't try to contain the animal, the just shoot them, preferable in the knee or groin. Knee equaling, rememberance to tie dog up, and groin, take retard out of gene pool. end of story.

Yeah, document for sure. I do know a little about this as I have had several neighbors call animal control on my dogs suspecting them of being Pits, they are actually boxers. They came out a few times and inspected them, so while they were here I asked them about rules. I had my dogs trained, so I never have them on leashes, but they are always under my supervision. This is actually legal. your neighbors are for sure breaking the law. They must be confined to their yard while not being supervised. My point in this is when you get the dogs on tape, make sure you point out the fact the owners are no out there. Good luck and remember a good stiff arm with your palm into the nose will put down almost any dog forever.

Yeah, document for sure. I do know a little about this as I have had several neighbors call animal control on my dogs suspecting them of being Pits, they are actually boxers. They came out a few times and inspected them, so while they were here I asked them about rules. I had my dogs trained, so I never have them on leashes, but they are always under my supervision. This is actually legal. your neighbors are for sure breaking the law. They must be confined to their yard while not being supervised. My point in this is when you get the dogs on tape, make sure you point out the fact the owners are no out there. Good luck and remember a good stiff arm with your palm into the nose will put down almost any dog forever.

Good info here -- is it legal for the dogs to be outside in their yard, not fenced or leashed if the owners are out w/ them? Are you saying it's only breaking the law if the dogs actually leave the property with or without the owner present? (this makes sense, I was just under the impression that every animal needed to be on a leash or behind a physical fence in Ohio).

Good info here -- is it legal for the dogs to be outside in their yard, not fenced or leashed if the owners are out w/ them? Are you saying it's only breaking the law if the dogs actually leave the property with or without the owner present? (this makes sense, I was just under the impression that every animal needed to be on a leash or behind a physical fence in Ohio).

That is the misconception. The dog can be loose anywhere, unless specified (i.e. some dog parks, private property...), as long as it is under supervision AND OWNERS CONTROL. I had to prove this to the animal control people that my dogs would listen to me. So, if you do get them on camera and the owners are out there, just show that the dogs are not listening to their owners - assuming the owners tell it to stop or stay. The camera can be your best friend, if you get the right info on it.

One more thing I thought of. Check into local laws where you live. They could be different than mine. I technically live in Columbus, so all of the Franklin county laws apply to me. Smaller city's could have their own rules, Powell, Reynoldsburg, Gahanna, etc. Also, if you have a HOA, they could place rules that are fineable also, even though the city says its ok. Either way, good luck.

chunks of beef marinated in radiator fluid, toss them in their yard in very early morning so they get them upon being let out as they wake up. repeat as needed. /problem.

I relize you are joking btw. but

I would like to say if someone did that to my dog I would have a piece of lead that I would show them it would just so happen to be heading towards them at a high volicty.

I would like to know the whole story since I had a incident with my neighbor at one time. When I first moved in I had got a dog that was not used to being contained in a yard he was from a farm like place.

Well he got out a couple times at first and my neighbor came over telling me how my dog she called a pit bull was going to attack her and eat her dogs because her and the 2 others had all ran up at her. When in reality he is friendly and wanted nothing more then to great and meet her.

This happen 3 times in total that joe got out.

1. Little boy who cuts my yard left the fence unlatched

2. Front door was not properly closed and joe ran out when someone came over.

3. Friend came over and held the door open like idiots and joe got out.

Now if they are just tools and really don't take care of there animals then calling animal control is the proper solution.

Yes/no. I would certainly talk with the neighbor about dogs off leash and the incident. I would also work with animal control/police. I've done that with three neighbors in our block that constantly keep their dog off leash in their front yard and none have control when I'm walking our dogs on leash with my family.

The good news is my dogs have been charged twice in 12yrs and attached once. That pisses me off still. Animal control is aware and I know they have been warned by them.

All of them now know that I do carry protection now as I've made it clear if their dog attacks mine or my kids, I will end them for good and won't wait for them to try to pull them apart. I wasn't a dick about it, but they continue to keep their dog off leash still. My only concern is my kids will witness it but my son is old enough and knows what I will do in the name of protecting him and his sister.

I don't have time to fight liberal BS battles like dogs and restraint with my neighbors. If they want wild dogs they can't control off leash running the neighborhood, then they can go live in the country, paint their fence blue, park their boat on their lawn and let the dogs chase tires down a gravel road. I live in the quiet burbs for a reason.

We do have several neighbors who walk their dogs without a leash and have them out front during the day. But they all have such well behaved dogs that I couldn't coax them, in fact I've seen nothing coaxes them away from their positions the entire time I've been here. Even my dogs pissing and barking doesn't make them flinch. That's perfectly cool in my book.

Everyone has accidents where dogs get out, that's understandable. However, folks who continue to think it's cool to let their dog run up on others outside in their neighborhood or parks piss me off. Even if their dog is friendly, other dogs may not be and they have zero control over that.

I for one don't/won't risk my 2-5yr olds safety because an owner thinks it's cute to have a lab or a bully like them in the face.

I relize you are joking btw. but