Engine Building Options?

Cordell

As most of you know I melted holes in my pistons last week, and I am planning out the build. I haven't had to plan out a build like this before. I was considering a balanced rotating assembly as a replacement, but this seems to be overkill for my goals with this engine. I think I may just replace the pistons, but I am not sure what to go with. Obviously i want forged but there are so many out there. Anyone have any recommendations for a LS1? I know the block will have to be honed, and I would think balancing the new pistons with the original crank and rods. Where would you guys go for this work? I want it to be a good engine, but I want to build something much bigger in coming years and that will require upgraded trans and rear. I'll pull it back out in few years in favor of the bigger engine and will probably put it in a truck (not the one I have now obviously). I just am not going to wait forever to get my car back on the road.

Thanks for your guy's input.

If your going to do another build in a couple years on a much bigger scale, then don't waste the money on the bottom end just yet. Throw some slugs in it and be done with it. Look up M&M head service (740-369-6442) in Deleware, they will take great care of you. You dont need to re balance with the new pistons, and I also don't agree with pre balanced assemblies.

do you know for a fact there are holes in the pistons?

I haven't torn it down completely yet, so no. However the plugs had no ground strap or electrode left on them, and there was oil dripping out of the headers. I suppose the problem could be in the head, but who knows until it's apart.

Guest Removed
I haven't torn it down completely yet, so no. However the plugs had no ground strap or electrode left on them, and there was oil dripping out of the headers. I suppose the problem could be in the head, but who knows until it's apart.

electrode being gone is from being lean, and or oil in the mixture.

oil or is it fuel/water loosened carbon dripping from the header? :confused:

pull the heads!

Guest Removed
def oil, and I will get the heads off this week.

well if you went lean, and sohved the ring gaps closed i could see oil from the oil ring pack getting in the exhuast, that or your sucking oil in the intake stream thru the pcv system causing it to go lean and knock the plugs out like you did. you could borrow my leak down tester if you like? and my expertise!

Okay Rob check this out. Car never got leaner than 11.8:1 according to my wideband (which was in the other bank of cylinders), didn't do anything abnormal on that run except shut off after realeasing throttle and smoking (seemed white maybe a little bluish but I was too pissed at that moment to pay a lot of attention), didn't knock upon refire just missed really bad obviously. If you were going to guess, what do you think happened?

Guest Removed
didn't do anything abnormal on that run except shut off after realeasing throttle QUOTE]

a sign of going lean! ie not enough fuel!

throw some plugs in it and see what happens! see if it still runs rough and smokes. it will smoke some if shit is in the exhuast!or at least run a compresson test!

warm it up check for noise and pull the oil cap and check for major blow by!

report back with findings!

you may have just pushed a head gasket, but the "oil" from a header is never a good sign.

im just wondering if it is true oil.

+1000

if you really did fuck up a piston and you just want the car back on the road buy one new piston and a set of rings lightly hand hone the cylinder and put it back together....

hell you can even leave the motor in the car if you can get the oil pan off to get at the rod bolts

I'm also going to be the the odd man out and tell you to use columbus col-weld for machine work they have always done me right

Guest Removed

plus 2 on col-weld.

and if theres a hole in a piston, i have bore checking mics(is layman terms) and a hand hone etc.

plus while the heads are off we could throw a port job at them. ;)

plus 2 on col-weld.

and if theres a hole in a piston, i have bore checking mics(is layman terms) and a hand hone etc.

plus while the heads are off we could throw a port job at them. ;)

Thanks for the offer, I may just get my Dad's compression gauge tommarow. I'll let you know how that goes.

I have my mind set on a certain set of CNCd heads. Porting these stock LS1 heads won't do half of what a set of aftermarket heads will do.