Anyone Have a good scanner?? cylinder misfire 98 Malibu 3100 v6

CJINOHIO03

Would a good scanner like at a dealer tell me exactly what is wrong with it?

The car has been running bad and has progressively gotten worse. Now the check engine light is on constantly. Sometimes now it will cut off and wont restart unless you spray engine start (ether) in the throttle body. I dont want to start throwing a lot of money or parts on a car with 200k.

Within the last few months I have changed the plugs and swapped wires, coil, and ignition module of a normal running 3100 V6. None of this has helped and some times when it will not start there is a strong gas smell. Could it be a injector or pump?

I have posted one of my previous posts below with more info.

My friend has a 98 Chevy Malibu V6 3100 with about 200k miles. It will randomly start running like shit like it is misfiring etc. Sometimes if you shut it off and re start it will stop doing it. Most of the time the check engine light doesnt come but it did the other day. I checked the obd codes and it came up 0300 cylinder misfire.

It didnt say what cylinder it is and the manual for code checker said it could be a lot of different things. It has been running ok the last few days though. One day it started sputtering but didnt through the code again. She doesnt want to throw a lot of money into it. What should be checked? replaced etc? I think it has the orignal plug wires but has had the plugs changed before. Thanks CJ

Those engines have injectors go bad all the time, especially with a lot of miles. You'll have to figure out which cylinder is giving you the problem. As with everything there are a couple other possibilities, but if the plugs, wires ect are good I would be looking into the injectors.

I definitely don't think the injectors are the problem. Obviously you did the obvious stuff - spark plugs, wires, coil, etc. If it's misfiring on more than one cylinder you can count out the cylinders, unless it's cam-related. I think the fuel filter is a missed fix, as well as the fuel pump, unless you're running deficient on all cylinders.

Sounds like a timing problem.

Well I went over to Rickys (Skold) last night. He has a super nice Mac scanner. Well it is misfiring on almost every cylinder. Not just two ie like one coil is bad etc. He pulled up the history and one cylinder has like over 1000 misfires. Anyway he is used to working on foreign cars(Lexus Evos etc) but did verify cam sensor and few other sensors are working properly.

He didnt have a compression tester or fuel pressure gauge. He said he thought it could be a bad fuel pump and/or clogged filter or low compression. I changed the filter today. It is running better but still not right. I ran down to auto zone besides the normal cylinder misfire it is now showing po171.

Auto zone print out say can be oxygen sensor, ignition misfire or fuel injector problem. Does this sounds right? I am about go crazy but dont want to throw a lot of money at this car. Any other suggestion or inputs?? Thanks CJ

I have access to the best scan tools money can buy, unfortunately I don't have the time to diag something right now. I would suggest taking it to a shop.

Thats odd, I didnt think MAC sold Verus. ;)

Thats odd, I didnt think MAC sold Verus. ;)

Nope, we sell The Navigator. Above and beyond Snap-off :D .

All arguments of companies aside, have you seen anything on The Navigator yet?

Nope, we sell The Navigator. Above and beyond Snap-off :D .

We can go head to head on this, it will not end well for you. :)

The navigator is a Pegysis, I had a OTC rep tell me they released it 6 months to early. The verus blows it out of the water, I had both of them in my hands (well, I always have a verus) a few days ago.

We can go head to head on this, it will not end well for you. :)

The navigator is a Pegysis, I had a OTC rep tell me they released it 6 months to early. The verus blows it out of the water, I had both of them in my hands (well, I always have a verus) a few days ago.

I can tell you it will end well. I mean, you must not realize that the Pegysis and Navigator are similar but, not the same. Ours was not released early either. Oddly enough, I have units going out while the Pegysis is recalled to fix the issues we found.

For instance, I see optional J2534 reprogramming on your Versus. Mine is already built into the VCI module. No extra Pass Thru Pro II needed.

Now, right now both tools are actually very similar. I will tell you, the future is going to be quite different for The Navigator. This is just an introduction.

BTW, all I do is answer questions on tools all day. I highly doubt you will best me at my own game.

Edit: Ours also comes standard with Dom, Asian, and Euro. That includes all the OBD1 cables. Not to mention the 18 month subscription to the software when you buy it.

Edit 2: We also do it $3200 less.

I can tell you it will end well. I mean, you must not realize that the Pegysis and Navigator are similar but, not the same. Ours was not released early either. Oddly enough, I have units going out while the Pegysis is recalled to fix the issues we found.

For instance, I see optional J2534 reprogramming on your Versus. Mine is already built into the VCI module. No extra Pass Thru Pro II needed.

Now, right now both tools are actually very similar. I will tell you, the future is going to be quite different for The Navigator. This is just an introduction.

To bad it can't go to the OEM websites to download the files needed to utilize J2534, you need a seperate computer for that. Not to mention most shops have no clue, or don't want anything to do with reflashing. Some do, they step up and buy a passthrough pro II (made by Drewtech, who makes the OEM reflashers, only 3 companys manufacture them).

or we could talk about troubleshooter vs. pathfinder

A true working OS (windows XP) vs. Linux and limited ability that go with that

Graphing 16 pids vs Graphing 3 pids

I can go on if you would like.

BTW, all I do is answer questions on tools all day. I highly doubt you will best me at my own game.

Edit: Ours also comes standard with Dom, Asian, and Euro. That includes all the OBD1 cables. Not to mention the 18 month subscription to the software when you buy it.

Edit 2: We also do it $3200 less.

It's half the tool, I would expect half the price.

BTW, I work full time for Snapon diagnostics. I am more involved in everything scantools than you could imagine.

Well I went over to Rickys (Skold) last night. He has a super nice Mac scanner. Well it is misfiring on almost every cylinder. Not just two ie like one coil is bad etc. He pulled up the history and one cylinder has like over 1000 misfires. Anyway he is used to working on foreign cars(Lexus Evos etc) but did verify cam sensor and few other sensors are working properly.

He didnt have a compression tester or fuel pressure gauge. He said he thought it could be a bad fuel pump and/or clogged filter or low compression. I changed the filter today. It is running better but still not right. I ran down to auto zone besides the normal cylinder misfire it is now showing po171.

Auto zone print out say can be oxygen sensor, ignition misfire or fuel injector problem. Does this sounds right? I am about go crazy but dont want to throw a lot of money at this car. Any other suggestion or inputs?? Thanks CJ

Well is po171 means it's running lean... did it tell you what bank? I had this same code in a '94 Mustang CJ - changing the fuel injectors and fuel filter didn't help.

Expose the MAF and see if it's dirty in there. If it is, take some brake cleaner and a cotton swab and clean it; be careful not to damage the sensor, as I'm sure you know. I would move on to the O2 sensor if that doesn't help - they are the cause of a lot of funky problems. Again, have you checked the EGR system? After that you could screw with the injectors, but I don't think that's your problem...

Hope this helps...

Gabe

To bad it can't go to the OEM websites to download the files needed to utilize J2534, you need a seperate computer for that. Not to mention most shops have no clue, or don't want anything to do with reflashing. Some do, they step up and buy a passthrough pro II (made by Drewtech, who makes the OEM reflashers, only 3 companys manufacture them).

or we could talk about troubleshooter vs. pathfinder

A true working OS (windows XP) vs. Linux and limited ability that go with that

Graphing 16 pids vs Graphing 3 pids

I can go on if you would like.

Oh, I know nothing a Drewtech. They don't make a #RFT290 that is J2534-1, 2, and 3 compliant :rolleyes: Your info is wrong too, many more make reflahers. Only 3 are really reliable. The Navigator was designed not to let techs go to many sites.

Pathfinder is getting outdated and won't be around much longer. Like I said, future, son.

Go on if you would like. I'll see if I can hear you when I'm sitting 30 ft away holding my scan tool still reading my graphs in real time. I just don't like being teathered to a car I guess.

It's half the tool, I would expect half the price.

BTW, I work full time for Snapon diagnostics. I am more involved in everything scantools than you could imagine.

BTW, I work full time for Mac Tech Support. I am more involved in everything with our tools than you can imagine.

If you'd like, I'll refer you to our electronics expert.

I guess you're getting just like the Snap-off distributors. Overly cocky about over priced tools?