Straight cut gear trans

Sam1647545489

Anyone ever dealt with a trans with this type of setup. I am wondering if there is anyway it can be streetable. I found a good deal on a Liberty Racing built T5 made into a sequential straight cut gear 4 speed. it says launch with a clutch and shift without one. Now what if I wanted to drive down high street through campus with this trans. How would that work?

Anyone ever dealt with a trans with this type of setup. I am wondering if there is anyway it can be streetable. I found a good deal on a Liberty Racing built T5 made into a sequential straight cut gear 4 speed. it says launch with a clutch and shift without one. Now what if I wanted to drive down high street through campus with this trans. How would that work?

By far the best way to go while on a track but they are not much fun on the street. I would not consider one for something you plan to cruise around in.

Idk about sequential, but on a normal manual straight cut gears I would see it as being pretty streetable. There were straight cut gears in the formula ford I autocrossed a couple years ago and i still used the clutch to shift, you don't have to , but I did most of the time because it was easier on the gear box. On the other hand I could not out shift the gearbox, whereas on the MR2 the gearbox does not shift as quickly as I would like it to without grinding. A dog box always seems to grind in some way when you are sitting stopped and put it into first, I could never put it in first without grinding it in some way.

Just a little info, not sure if it's on the right track, but that's my short experience with them.

IMO, if its a non synchro dog box, its not worth it to street the trans. Although liberty transmissions are badass and sound awesome w/ that high pitched whine, a lot of our customers with dogbox trannies say they're pita's. definately nothing you can really "cruise" with-- you'll be hating the grinds every shift, unless you're at high rpm.

Guest Removed

synchro'ed or none? none will suck ass street driving!there are some out there that arent true straight cut gears, but not as angled as the stockgears..thats more of what your looking for!

viper slayer t-56 that bitch and be done with it! spec stage 2 clutch while your at it!

you'll have to set the trans crossmember back,and shorten the drive shaft. if theres room.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

found this on another site

im selling my complete tko set up it was pro shifted by liberty, also included is the mcleoud bellhousing, centerforce clutch, aluminum flywheel, yoke, shifter, and clutch cables, all like new...

asking 2000.00 for complete setup call me if interested 513-907-6681 thanks Ron

Straight cut gears whine loudly and shift better when done quickly. They do not make for smooth driving on the street both audibly and physically. Sometimes there is a wide gray area using components from a purpose built race car on a street car... using a dog box (sequential or otherwise) is not one of them, it is a race only item.

Very Noisy.

one of my friends has a set of straight cuts in his daily. I'll get his attention to this post see what he says

i have 1-4 straight cut with a stock 5th. all syncro'ed. 1-4 make a whine noise like a supercharger on accel and decel, but they shift way better than stock trans and never grind. if u can find straight cut with syncro and dont mind the supercharger sound i def recommend them as the teeth can be made way thicker than helically cut gears

post 116 and 124 have pictures comparing the stock gears to the straight cuts i have

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=548884&page=5