Bad front wheel bearing "rule of thumb" reminder.

excell

I forget which side is usually going bad when you steer the vehicle left or right and the sound increases:

Steer right and the sound increases, it's the _________ bearing.

Steer left and the sound increases, it's the _________ bearing.

Make sense? Help!

jack car up spin wheel by hand touch coil spring and feel for vibration

This has worked for me a few times. I always listen while driving turn left causes the right side to load and would make more noise if it's the right side. Obviously the opposite is true, turn right to check the left. In many cases both wheel bearings are bad by the time I see them, especially on those damn grand ams and malibus.

^ i always suggest to customers to do both(same axle) at the same time. saves them money, covers your ass in case for some fucked up reason you diagnose the wrong side, and saves them from being in again for the same problem on the same axle.

jack car up spin wheel by hand touch coil spring and feel for vibration

A mechanics steth. will usually give you an answer too. However, on both methods, you can run into a harmonic resonance problem.

Guest 614Streets
A mechanics steth. will usually give you an answer too. However, on both methods, you can run into a harmonic resonance problem.

Down at atlas we had one that you couldnt diag until you put it on the microphones. By microphones I mean the owner got a 2way radio type of tool that allows you to put up to 4 boxes with microphones in them and they are each on seperate channels. Hop in the car and wear a headset while driving. You can switch between channels...

That tool is the bomb. $

Down at atlas we had one that you couldnt diag until you put it on the microphones. By microphones I mean the owner got a 2way radio type of tool that allows you to put up to 4 boxes with microphones in them and they are each on seperate channels. Hop in the car and wear a headset while driving. You can switch between channels...

That tool is the bomb. $

yea chassis ear's are a really neat tool, pricey though!

Remember Chris to torque everything to the correct ft lbs. :lol:

did you get the those bolts replaced?

lol

I ordered new bolts today. Had to overnight them. My buddy who's worked on hundreds of these truck has never seen one stretch like that. Go figure. :)