Wheelie tips

12oclocker

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing beats what one biker gang member said when asked why he could flip his license plate up and out of sight:

"Keeps down on unwanted attention"

He also went onto explain why he had a machete strapped to his gas tank as well...

The $ makes you think about it doesn't it. I got caught with my front wheel in the air going WELL OVER the 65 mph speed limit on an entrance ramp last Saturday. The officer first thanked me for pulling over for him, reminded me that even though the speed limit isn't posted on the ramp it is still 65, asked to see my licence, & then proceded to talk about bikes for a while. No handcuffs, no ticket. Go figure.

• 3 weeks later...
ANY modern sport bike will wheelie...

This doesn't necessarily meant that you should wheelie any modern sport bike. Depending on the location of the oil pump and return, some bikes (my Katana for example) will starve the engine the second it goes above 10-15 degress above horizontal. GSXR's and I'm sure CBR's don't have this problem, but you shouldn't assume that any and all sportbike can wheelie without major engine oil starvation problems.

Cheech, the odds of you causing any engine damage from popping a quick wheelie is pretty slim, but i agree if you don't have it set up properly, riding wheelies for long distances can cause the damage you described.

Cheech, the odds of you causing any engine damage from popping a quick wheelie is pretty slim, but i agree if you don't have it set up properly, riding wheelies for long distances can cause the damage you described.

I'm not going to tell you you aren't correct, but if you want to remove the flow of lubrication to an engine with ridiculously tight tolerances that's spinning 6 to 7,000 times a minute while on one wheel with a shifting center of gravity and balance point that's totally up to you.

I'm not going to tell you you aren't correct, but if you want to remove the flow of lubrication to an engine with ridiculously tight tolerances that's spinning 6 to 7,000 times a minute while on one wheel with a shifting center of gravity and balance point that's totally up to you.

Look.. these bikes are stunted frequently by people that are rocking wheelies for days on end without much issue. The occasional wheelie here and there isnot going to hurt your motor period....

Look.. these bikes are stunted frequently by people that are rocking wheelies for days on end without much issue. The occasional wheelie here and there isnot going to hurt your motor period....

The bikes being used by stunters are designed to be able to withstand repeated and prolonged wheelies. It goes into the planning and design of bikes like the GSXR, CBR, Yamaha R-series, ZX- and ZZ-series, so on.

All I'm saying is just because it's a "sportbike", like my Katana or an Aprilia can be considered a sportbike, doesn't mean that they are all designed the same way to withstand the same things. There may not be lasting motor damage (and with the occasional wheelie there probably won't be) but given the fact that they were never designed to do it in the first place that's not a chance I would want to take with something that could easily do very bad things to me.

The bikes being used by stunters are designed to be able to withstand repeated and prolonged wheelies. It goes into the planning and design of bikes like the GSXR, CBR, Yamaha R-series, ZX- and ZZ-series, so on.

All I'm saying is just because it's a "sportbike", like my Katana or an Aprilia can be considered a sportbike, doesn't mean that they are all designed the same way to withstand the same things. There may not be lasting motor damage (and with the occasional wheelie there probably won't be) but given the fact that they were never designed to do it in the first place that's not a chance I would want to take with something that could easily do very bad things to me.

I think almost all Aprilia's have dry sump, at least the 1000's do. Wheelies are no problem with these bikes, hell the front end is in the air through 1st and 2nd gear most of the time anyways.

Just pointing it out.

No offense but this is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.... These bikes are designed to be raced... not stunted..

We are not talking about riding wheelies for days, we are talking about the occasional wheelie.

No offense but this is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.... These bikes are designed to be raced... not stunted..

We are not talking about riding wheelies for days, we are talking about the occasional wheelie.

:plus1:Yeah, I'm not really sure that the wheelie is on the list of engineer's design specifications at the big 4. And for most of us non stunnas, you're more likely to do fork seal damage than engine damage.