WalMart will not repair Z rated tires.

nurkvinny

I copyed this article from this website: http://www.retread.org

It basically says some are, some aren't allowed, it depends on manufacturer. I was taught not to do it, so I will continue to think that way.

SPEED-RATED TIRES

This article is part of a regular, exclusive series on

passenger, light truck and commercial tire service,

repair and training produced for Modern Tire

Dealer by Kevin Rohlwing, senior vice president of

education and technical services for the

Tire Industry Association

(TIA).

There are a lot of issues to address

when repairing speed-rated tires.

Some tire manufacturers allow nail

hole repairs in the crown area while others

do not. If a tire manufacturer nullifies the

speed rating after a repair, the tire should

not be returned to the vehicle.

Fortunately, the waters are muddy on

this issue. Why is one speed-rated tire repairable

and another is not? Aren’t they

basically the same from a construction

standpoint? Does the repairable speedrated

tire have special components and a magical

design that allow it to retain the original speed rating

following a repair? Is the repairable speedrated

tire that much better than the one that cannot

be repaired?

You can bet that technicians from the tire repair

material manufacturer are going to join you at the

defense table when a repaired speed-rated tire is

the alleged cause of an accident. They have ample

data and test wheel results that prove properly installed

nail hole repairs within recommended limits

for size and location do not weaken the structural

integrity or speed rating of a speed-rated

performance tire.

By definition, a repair restores the original condition,

so the original speed rating is retained. The

key words are “properly installed.”

Tire repair materials have taken adhesion and

vulcanization to another level when nail hole repairs

are installed according to specifications. The

bond between the components and the tire is often

as strong, if not stronger, than the bond between

the innerliner and body cords. In other words,

you’ll rip the innerliner out of a tubeless tire before

you separate it from a fully cured repair unit.

By following the tire repair material manufacturer

guidelines for installing the nail hole repair

unit, tire dealers give themselves an important ally

in the event of an accident. If a speed-rated tire is

properly repaired, the original condition and

speed rating should be restored.

Technician training becomes even more important

in an area like this where the margin for error

is so small.

Educated technicians understand size and location

limitations, so they never install nail hole repairs

in the shoulder or sidewall.

Educated technicians always remove the damaged

material from the injury and fill the void with

a rubber stem. Educated technicians never repair

tires on the wheel because they recognize the importance

of inspecting the inside of the tire.

When these and other key points represent primary

objectives in the documented tire repair

training program that every technician should be

required to complete, it’s easier to prove that a repair

was properly installed and that some form of

quality control exists.

On the other hand, when companies have no

proof that employees have been properly trained

to repair performance tires, they are at the mercy

of the plaintiff because quality control is impossible

to prove without some sort of established

guidelines and procedures.

Tire repair material manufacturers have been industry

leaders in technician education for decades

and many of them will conduct hands-on training

programs in the field. TIA has a nail hole repair

training program that also can be used to provide

documented proof of training. There’s really no

excuse for allowing technicians to repair performance

tires without the proper training on procedures,

guidelines and limitations. If your company

repairs tires of any kind, documented proof of employee

training is often the first and last line of defense

in the event of an accident. ■

Built, and repaired, for speed

Performance tires require special consideration

By Kevin Rohlwing

This size

reading it fully it says they will accept one 1/4 repair one time in the tread but then give you this long list of other shit that makes it just about impossible to warranty :(

In other words, fuck repairing it unless you want to be liable. No one wants to be liable, so buy a new tire.

I hope this was the explanation you were looking for.

From that link,

I. SUMMARY STATEMENT

1. REPAIR

A Goodyear, Dunlop or Kelly-Springfield manufactured speed-rated tire may be repaired to correct a commonly repairable nail hole puncture in the tread area only, but proper materials and procedures must be applied. INCORRECT OR IMPROPER REPAIR WILL RESULT IN THE TIRE NO LONGER BEING SPEED-RATED BY GOODYEAR, and the warranty may also be affected.

The puncture in question here was a small, straight-in nail hole about 3" from the inner bead.

Nice link by the way.

Any link to proof of this? I ask in a sincere really-wanting-to-know tone, not being a smartass. None of the salesmen I ever spoke to about their lines of tires ever mentioned this fact.

And for all parties, again, they asked Walmart to patch it.

And for anyone doubting plugs, look up the video where Tech (company name) plugged the SIDEWALL of a tire something like 60 times and then drove it for 100,000 miles.

Not doubting the validity of plugs, but I thought Ohio regulations now forbid them?

sounds like she got hit with the 'tax' of owning a performance vehicle.

Ha, true. The ending to the story is that they drove in my dad's vette to a Napa the next day and bought a plug kit and did it themselves in the hotel parking lot... in Illinois. :)

And it's still holding air just fine.

:)

Let me explain some before you say anything else. Shanton, Marty, Cory, and Cody all do it the same way I was told. Shanton is the one that showed it to me. I'm not talking about a rope plug. After taking out the nail or whatever you drill out the spot, and the clean the area around the part you drilled. Pull the rubber plug into the hole,and then buff the area flat. Clean and remove things in the area. Then glue the patch on the inside. After that pull on the plug and cut to have it under the tread. So that is the discount way to fix the problem and not have problems later. So do you understand now?

Let me explain some before you say anything else. Shanton, Marty, Cory, and Cody all do it the same way I was told. Shanton is the one that showed it to me. I'm not talking about a rope plug. After taking out the nail or whatever you drill out the spot, and the clean the area around the part you drilled. Pull the rubber plug into the hole,and then buff the area flat. Clean and remove things in the area. Then glue the patch on the inside. After that pull on the plug and cut to have it under the tread. So that is the discount way to fix the problem and not have problems later. So do you understand now?

All that is true, however this process voids the speed rating on most tires.

he knows how to fix a tire he was asking why walmart wouldn't do it
I was talking to the other guys on the last page that didn't understand what I was talking about when I explained everything. I guess since I'm newer to the site whatever I say doesn't seem to work...

I used to be a Wal-Mart TLE manager ~10 years ago...at the time we converted from patching tires to using the patch-plug combo, never rope style plugs. Then as (obviously) now, we did not repair z-rated tires as a company policy, because as stated many tire companies would void the warranty. However the primary reason you probably already know...liability, they don't want to be sued because someone pushes the repaired tire past it's limits and dies.

I can remember on one occasion that three guys came in that were testing cars for Car and Driver magazine and wanted us to repair a rear tire on a Porshe 911. As much as I would have liked to be the guy who helped them out, I didn't want to be the guy who lost his job over it. Not sure if they still do, but Hocking hills used to be one of their frequent testing grounds, was even mentioned in the magazine back then.

the primary reason you probably already know...liability, they don't want to be sued because someone pushes the repaired tire past it's limits and dies.

This logic is, in my opinion, completely and 100% ignorant. And, you (the collective you) will never convince me the policy was created for any other reason than to make money selling a new tire, mounting, balancing, stems, disposal, warranty, etc.

I could push the limits of ANY rating of tire after Walmart has repaired it and wrap myself around a tree. Why stop at Z rating? How about V, or even H?

This logic is, in my opinion, completely and 100% ignorant. And, you (the collective you) will never convince me the policy was created for any other reason than to make money selling a new tire, mounting, balancing, stems, disposal, warranty, etc.

I could push the limits of ANY rating of tire after Walmart has repaired it and wrap myself around a tree. Why stop at Z rating? How about V, or even H?

Maybe because v and h rated tires aren't rated above 149 mph and up?

Maybe because v and h rated tires aren't rated above 149 mph and up?

Ughh.

That is exactly my point. V is up to 149mph - quite fast, huh? And H is up to 130mph - still cruising, right?

If they will fix my V rated tire, I'm pretty sure I can kill myself at 148.9mph.

If they will fix my H rated tire, I'm still pretty certain 129.9mph can do me in.

Soooo, their "logic" of not repairing a Z rated tire because you might later go "really super fast" and kill yourself doesn't float.

I have to agree with this 100%

Whats the difference? I can wrap a car around a telephone pole at 65 and die from it.

I usually just explain this to people: I can not repair speed rated tires, my deffinition of speed rated is anything other than S or T (basic passenger tire) is a speed rated tire. I point out that this is a liability, and if they don't like it I just charge then cash and tell them it is their problem. No receipt, I didn't do it.