Are 3.4's from the 93-95 camaros reliable motors?

Browning

I know a lot of you have these cars but not sure if any of you have them with the 3.4 or not?

I've been hearing a lot about s10 owners with a 2.8, swapping in a 3.4. I guess the 2.8 intake and accessories will bolt right up to the 3.4. I don't know of any one who has had one of these 3.4 powered camaros and am wondering if they're any more reliable than the 2.8's?

Also, did the firebirds of the above mentioned years come with the 3.4 as well?

Guest 614Streets

Firebirds came with it. These Iron head motors do not have the 3100/3400 intake gasket problems. Its essentially a 2.8 with a .120 overbore and a 3.31 stroke. The 3.4 block is also stronger do to increased webbing. Still a flat tappet hydralic engine.

Externally its the same 15 inch by 15 inch by 15 inch block with the same ho heads. The f body 3.4 is sfi and has a good intake manifold. A vin r s10 or jimmy 2.8 tbi intake bolts directly to the head.

What kind of swap are you doing?

Firebirds came with it. These Iron head motors do not have the 3100/3400 intake gasket problems. Its essentially a 2.8 with a .120 overbore and a 3.31 stroke. The 3.4 block is also stronger do to increased webbing. Still a flat tappet hydralic engine.

Externally its the same 15 inch by 15 inch by 15 inch block with the same ho heads. The f body 3.4 is sfi and has a good intake manifold. A vin r s10 or jimmy 2.8 tbi intake bolts directly to the head.

What kind of swap are you doing?

Which spot in the vin would the R be? Mine has one halfway through.

So overall this would be a decent upgrade from the 2.8? I'm assuming I'll need to use the oil pan from the 2.8. I don't plan on doing anything speedwise to it. The 2.8 has 183,000 on it and while it runs well, I've been debating on trying to locate a 3.4 to rebuild this winter for it. This is just a beater I picked up 4-5 months ago for cheap. Plans as of now include 20's and a traditional BD. First I want to get the motor situation out of the way.

I'm also going to have a buddy fab up a manual rear window for it

Guest 614Streets
Any s10 or blazer jimmy/tahoe with the 2.8 is the vin R. Its a decent upgrade. Toss in a camshaft while your at it they can be found for cheap. The 272 cam is what I have , look at crane. Yep use the 2.8 oil pan.

Any s10 or blazer jimmy/tahoe with the 2.8 is the vin R. Its a decent upgrade. Toss in a camshaft while your at it they can be found for cheap. The 272 cam is what I have , look at crane. Yep use the 2.8 oil pan.

Oh you have the 3.4 in yours?

Pulled it from my old '94 Camaro w/188k. I only drove it once, and it was way under-powered (surprise with 188k), so it's just been sitting. Will need a total rebuild.

edit:

Here's a couple pics when it was still in the car.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/TimTaylor75/Camaro/Camaro025.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/TimTaylor75/Camaro/Camaro024.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/TimTaylor75/Camaro/Camaro023.jpg

Doesn't look much different than that now.

Guest Removed
For 50 bucks who cares if it doesnt turn by hand... get it.

true that man...you buy it for 50 and if its all junk you can scrap it for 35!!! that a deal of a life time dont pass that shit up!!!