steering wheel shake

Guest tbutera2112

Guest tbutera2112

drivin moms car today and at freeway speeds on hard braking the steering wheel shakes violently, which led me to think it was a rotor issue....well i got to work and coming down bethel doing 40-45 i got on the brakes hard and its fine...only does it at higher speeds...rotor issue? ideas? thanks

mazda 3

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if it happens when the brakes are applied then that singles it to a brake problem..well 99% of the time atleast lol.

pads and rotors and you are good to go, also make sure to clean the hubssss

No need for all that money to be spent. If the pads/rotors have decent life, then just get the rotors turned. Then take the pads and rub them on a concrete surface (sidewalk, driveway- side to side) until you get a new or close to new surface on the pad. Lube your slides/clips and you'll be good to go son. Do it all the time, and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

thanks guys..its an 04 with 70k miles and no brake work ever done...gonna throw pads and rotors on it and see if that works

Make sure you use a scotch bright pad and clean off the hub before putting the new rotor on. a piece of rust/debris the size of a booger between the hub and rotor will cause a vibration as bad, or worse than, a warped rotor.

Make sure you use a scotch bright pad and clean off the hub before putting the new rotor on. a piece of rust/debris the size of a booger between the hub and rotor will cause a vibration as bad, or worse than, a warped rotor.

And puts you some damn anti-seize on them therrr hubs too

No need for all that money to be spent. If the pads/rotors have decent life, then just get the rotors turned. Then take the pads and rub them on a concrete surface (sidewalk, driveway- side to side) until you get a new or close to new surface on the pad. Lube your slides/clips and you'll be good to go son. Do it all the time, and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

he used the words, "shakes violently" which leads me to believe the car has a good amount of miles which then in turn leads to everything needing to be replaced.

the cost of rotors these days really outweighs having rotors turned. of course unless its a very small shimmy, then cutting is in order.

also sub the hill billy driveway pad technique for a 8''x10'' piece of sand paper lol...

And puts you some damn anti-seize on them therrr hubs too

a men. i dont even want to go into what i went through with my old car after 2 salty winters. i actually managed to snap the face of the hub off the body, in turn requiring me to get a whole new hub/bearing/snap ring, ie, $200+. made sure i got a $6 bottle of anti-seize and coated the front of the hub/back of rotor. slid right off when i needed to remove them after that.

ill be putting new pads and rotors on it and burnishing it correctly

if you're doing it this weekend, i might come over to check out the set up. im sure its something simple, but i haven't messed with them yet...i may need to pull the g/fs soon (07 3i)...just need to find out wtf that little wire piece is on the outside of the calipers.

Guest tbutera2112
nope...not my car so im not rushing it...ill be working on the rear brakes on the stang this weekend and hopefully have it moving under its own power again after my track day incident

Guest tbutera2112
i should just clamp off my rear brake lines and do brake deletes!!! rears only do like 30% of my braking anyways, i dont need them!! that will have me 45 dollars getting a new bracket and pin kit!

he used the words, "shakes violently" which leads me to believe the car has a good amount of miles which then in turn leads to everything needing to be replaced.

the cost of rotors these days really outweighs having rotors turned. of course unless its a very small shimmy, then cutting is in order.

also sub the hill billy driveway pad technique for a 8''x10'' piece of sand paper lol...

Hill billy? No son...the concrete is better than your Abercrombie gina paper way. Didn't you see I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night?

If there was a problem, YO I'd solve it. Check out the hook while my dj revolves it.

Hill billy? No son...the concrete is better than your Abercrombie gina paper way. Didn't you see I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night?

If there was a problem, YO I'd solve it. Check out the hook while my dj revolves it.

You're an idiot.

Not the kitchen

Not the place for half-assed tech advice that will not properly repair a problem either. At least, the last time I checked, that's not what this section is for.

Tyler, in the future, don't scuff your pads on concrete. Just FYI.

Edit: If I were a mod/admin, I would delete stupid shit for tech.

Guest Removed
Not the place for half-assed tech advice that will not properly repair a problem either. At least, the last time I checked, that's not what this section is for.

Tyler, in the future, don't scuff your pads on concrete. Just FYI.

Edit: If I were a mod/admin, I would delete stupid shit for tech.

but what if the mod does not know tech? :confused:

i so wish i was the mod to this section!stupid people like that would not be allowed to post in this section unless asking a question! :bangbang:

but what if the mod does not know tech? :confused:

i so wish i was the mod to this section!stupid people like that would not be allowed to post in this section unless asking a question! :bangbang:

As one of the most knowledgable techs on here, I agree you would make a good mod for this section. It would be ideal to have a couple actual techs moderate this section. I nominate you and AJ.

Guest Removed
As one of the most knowledgable techs on here, I agree you would make a good mod for this section. It would be ideal to have a couple actual techs moderate this section. I nominate you and AJ.

:eek: :gtfo:

i know nothing about cars. ask anyone here :(