LS7 money question

AJ

i am rebuilding a 2006 LS7 that had a dropped valve. now i can do it a few ways here, i can rebuild it to stock pan to heads or i can put it back together so it will bolt into a LS6/1 car.

so would you rather see a LS2 front cover and vette or f-body oil pan with the crank cut down for a LS6 (vette or F-body) balancer and wet sump? stock or aftermarket cam?

or put it back with the LS7 front cover and the dry sump? stock or aftermarket cam?

either way its getting fordged pistons.

also how much would you pay for a rebuild LS7? it did have a hole in the block and head, it also had 4 sleeves replaced. 3 just because of a mark i saw at the very bottom that i did not like, one because it was cracked.

i was going to put this in my vette but i think even though it would be super awesome since i already have it i can use the money to be debt free sooner.

if anyone is intrested in this engine i can build it to your specs. for your car (hint hint scott).

not too sure, i was thinking in the $6500 range if i do the stock rebuild. depending on what the person wants the price would go up (i.e. aftermarket cam and oil pan.) so call it 7k for the long block and be well over the 505hp mark. thats half of what it cost new so thats a pretty good deal still.

Understood. But, here is your "competition" -

Never hurt LS7, with aftermarket cam and supporting mods for $8500, and that is shipped to your door.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-parts-sale-wanted/1963803-fs-2007-ls7-longblock.html

And, from our fellow member - 1k mile LS7 shipped for $7500

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-parts-sale-wanted/2028467-wts-1k-mile-ls7-long-block-minus-intake.html

You asked for opinions. Mine is this: when I can buy an engine that has never been hurt with 1,000 miles on it for $7500 shipped (so, $7000 picked up probably), $6500 is not a good deal for one that has had a hole in the block and re-sleeved.

The other comparison, for the modded LS7, would be $8000 picked up vs. your $7000. So, again, your's is cheaper, but in my mind, it's like buying a salvage titled car. It just isn't worth the same and can't be compared apples-to-apples.

Not trying to get in a pissing match man, the LS7 is badass in any form.

Edit: shiping not included in the $7500 motor.

Guest tbutera2112
Scott just a heads up I looked into LSxing my Third Gen....

I would have about 8 grand in everything.

including the motor/trans right?

will you shoot me a pm with some pics of the c6 wheels on your car? my dad is thinking about c6 wheels on his iroc but cant find decent pics of them on a red third gen

I can just hone mine and throw in new pistons, already picked up a used set of cylinder heads for damn near nothing. Some gaskets and bearings and I'll be pretty close. I'm just helping my Dad get his Mustang drivable again so I can use his garage. Although I'm very tempted to snag a used LM7 (dirt cheap) re-ring it and beat the piss out of it while putting together something a little more special. Who knows.

AJ you should put it in the V. I'd buy the LS6, I don't want to put anything in my car other than an aluminum gen3.

You asked for opinions. Mine is this: when I can buy an engine that has never been hurt with 1,000 miles on it for $7500 shipped (so, $7000 picked up probably), $6500 is not a good deal for one that has had a hole in the block and re-sleeved.

The other comparison, for the modded LS7, would be $8000 picked up vs. your $7000. So, again, your's is cheaper, but in my mind, it's like buying a salvage titled car. It just isn't worth the same and can't be compared apples-to-apples.

Not trying to get in a pissing match man, the LS7 is badass in any form.

Edit: shiping not included in the $7500 motor.

then again you don't know for sure that the 8000 engine didn't have sleeves put in it or what happened to that engine before. that block is not serviced so its not like they went to a dealer and bought just the block and put it together.

scott, if you can talk her into it than i will sell you an LS6. good luck with that though lol.

so if 7k is too much for this engine than what is a fair price for it then? 6k? 5k?

Are we talking about a long block? If I understood this right AJ said prepped for install which I would assume is a long block. $6k sounds like a good deal, but I wouldn't be buying it so my opinion doesn't account for much.

BTW installing new sleeves in the block should not make it's value any different, new sleeves makes it just as good as new. Anyone who cares about re-sleeving a block should stick to the old-school shit they are used to.

Anyone who cares about re-sleeving a block should stick to the old-school shit they are used to.

This isn't about old vs. new. ANYthing that was hurt badly enough to put a hole through a block and put a hole through a head is not worth nearly as much as a non-repaired engine to me; I am sure some people would pay that much.

I understand what shit for these engines cost, and I think it's cool there is one here on CR for sale (or soon to be I guess).

When, or if, this is posted in the For Sale section, I'll personally delete any comments questioning the price.

Guest tbutera2112
This isn't about old vs. new. ANYthing that was hurt badly enough to put a hole through a block and put a hole through a head is not worth nearly as much as a non-repaired engine to me; I am sure some people would pay that much.

i guess its preference...if i could get a motor that was rebuilt like AJs for 6500 instead of one that was never rebuilt, for 7500+ shipping or 8grand, i would go with the 6500...