Shotgun recommendations?

hpfiend

Hey all-

I know most of you know a lot more about guns than I do...

What gauge/brand would you recommend for the following with these priorities in mind.

#1 self defense for the wife (I am not comfortable she would be able to use our handgun confidently)

#2 Annual pheasant hunt with the in-laws (last year I borrowed the passed grandfather's gun)

#3 Potential slug use for hunting if anyone were ever to invite me or I got in the mood.

BTW what do you guys do about keeping the kid(s) away from them but stil making them quickly accesible? Biometrics?

Thanks!

Andrew

Remington 870 w/ Slug / Bird Barrel combo, and get a spare smooth bore barrel, and chop it to just over 18"

:thumbup:

KillJoy

Hey all-

I know most of you know a lot more about guns than I do...

What gauge/brand would you recommend for the following with these priorities in mind.

#1 self defense for the wife (I am not comfortable she would be able to use our handgun confidently)

#2 Annual pheasant hunt with the in-laws (last year I borrowed the passed grandfather's gun)

#3 Potential slug use for hunting if anyone were ever to invite me or I got in the mood.

BTW what do you guys do about keeping the kid(s) away from them but stil making them quickly accesible? Biometrics?

Thanks!

Andrew

+1 more for a remington 870 (12 guage, of course). you can even shoot slugs from a smooth bore, so not 100% necessary to have 2 different barrels. plus, you can probably get one for $250, maybe $350 with both barrels. itll last a life time. i've had mine since i was 13 (23 now), its old, beat up, heavily used, and still goes bang every time i pull the trigger

First off, ignore Killyjoy. Don't ever cut a shotgun barrel, that's fucking stupid.

Now then, from personal experience I've learned that a good home defense gun doesn't make a good hunting/clay/trap/target shooting gun. I bought a Mossberg 500 12 gauge some years ago with that in mind, and quickly learned it really can't do everything.

For home defense, you will want something with a short barrel (18.5" is the shortest you will find for legal reasons), and for the wife you will want 20 gauge. As for keeping it from the kids, get some hooks to hang above a door or up on a wall, high enough your wife can reach but not the kids. Also, don't keep anything in the chamber and keep the safety on. That's three steps the kids would have to get past in order to do any damage.

As for a home defense gun. I suggest the Mossberg 500. The reason is that the safety is more intuitive, especially in a high-stress situation like a break-in. Also, I don't know if this is true with all of them, but mine has a rather heavy trigger. This means that you are far less likely to accidentally pull the trigger, you have to WANT to pull it. The downside to the trigger is that it means that when doing ranged shooting, you are more likely to jerk off target, which is why I suggest this only for home defense.

For all of the other shooting, you can't go wrong with a Remington 870, but for cool points I suggest finding a nice over/under. 12 gauge with at least a 24" barrel is a better choice here, far more options in ammo and more likely to hit a small target.

Just remember that no one thing is best at everything. If you HAVE to compromise, I'd probably lean towards an 870 with a short barrel and long barrel in whatever gauge your wife is comfortable with, but compromising sucks.

Agree with Copperhead.

The best sporting gun won't make the best home protection gun.

Get a cheap $80 pump at the local gun show - a beater for home protection (or spend a bit more and get a Mossberg 500, as mentioned - good recommendation)

For sporting, I recommend the semi-auto Mossberg 9200 to beginners. Lifetime warranty on any needed repairs from Mossberg

12 gauge...takes 3" shells and a very nice gun for pretty reasonable prices. I've seen them from 325 - 450. Not much more than a pump 870

Rifled deer barrels are $120 or so...etc

Spend more and get an 1100 or 1187 if you want, but not really necessary to begin with

You'll appreciate the auto when you're hunting and see a big deer...and forget to keep pumping the damned thing

First off, ignore Killyjoy. Don't ever cut a shotgun barrel, that's fucking stupid.

Excuse me? You are a fucking idiot for thinking that. It is a smoothbore barrel. Nothing bad happens. Folks have been doing this since shotguns came about.

:rolleyes:

KillJoy

For home defense, you will want something with a short barrel (18.5" is the shortest you will find for legal reasons), and for the wife you will want 20 gauge. As for keeping it from the kids, get some hooks to hang above a door or up on a wall, high enough your wife can reach but not the kids. Also, don't keep anything in the chamber and keep the safety on. That's three steps the kids would have to get past in order to do any damage.

Your wife would be rapped by the time she gets the gun down, cocked and the safety off. And anyone with guns should teach their children about them, not keep them away so they will find them interesting.

With two kids in the house, loaded guns sitting around is not an issue here...Because they are educated and have both shot them. So to them they are just a boring part of everyday life.

lol raped...

i agree with other children visiting. but heres the thing. they are in areas where the kids no where they are. Being educated, and with what I said. It doesnt even cross their minds to "share" with their friends. On certain occasions we do put them away. (larger crowds of people in the house)

If and when I have kids/wife/whatever......

I'll just plan on having my bedroom be off limits...with a gun rather easily accessible in there. Locked even, maybe

An uncle has a very nice little hidden spot above the front door at his house. A weird little indentation that is behind the trim, where he keeps a snub-nose. I'd consider doing something like that too

Gotta be 6 foot or so to reach up and back there to grab it

anyone with guns should teach their children about them, not keep them away so they will find them interesting.

One of the wisest things ever posted on CR.

I would recommend the Remington 870, vance's has decent deals on them right now. I'd be interested in the deal they have with the 2 barrels for $399. Do yourself a favor and get a good forearm light/flashlight for it. Its a good idea to identify the target, you know.

I've never owned a mossy, but I've shyed away from them on recommendations from friends and forums.

You won't go wrong with an 870.

I've never owned a mossy, but I've shyed away from them on recommendations from friends and forums.

I once had a Maverick 88 (Mossberg 500's Cheap Little Brother).

This gun was a jam-o-matic. I would not hunt with one, let alone risk my life on it.

KillJoy

Excuse me? You are a fucking idiot for thinking that. It is a smoothbore barrel. Nothing bad happens. Folks have been doing this since shotguns came about.

KillJoy

well, if you cut the barrel a fraction of an inch too short and get busted with it, you get to do ten years in federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison. You would also lose the front sight off the barrel. Why go to the trouble when you can buy a brand new factory barrel thats only a half inch longer than the legal minimum? Again, fucking stupid

well, if you cut the barrel a fraction of an inch too short and get busted with it, you get to do ten years in federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison. You would also lose the front sight off the barrel. Why go to the trouble when you can buy a brand new factory barrel thats only a half inch longer than the legal minimum? Again, fucking stupid

So..... cut it at 18.5". For it's intended purpose, who cares about a front sight? For a Defense Shotgun, you will be shooting at about 5 Yards. Point. Shoot. Seek an Ear Doctor.

KillJoy

Wow. You can just come see me at work, we also have some classes we can get her into. Or I could work with her, as I am an NRA certified instructor.

Anyway, good luck with what you choose. However Mike is right that you can't turn one good into three different things. You'll most likely need two shotguns.

Thanks for all of the advice- I am going to look into the mossberg 500 and remington 870...

If I am home I have a chambered glock 19 with high cap mag, laser and a tactical flashlight for the other hand.

I pity the fool...

BTW 360 what age did you start teaching them about guns? Our first is still in the oven.

cinergi thanks for the offer- where do you work? I usually go to the powder room in powell for target practice.

The gun I used pheasant hunting last year was a savage double barrel and I liked having that second shot ready as I am not that good of a shot- I downed two birds on the second barrel.

KillJoy

You have to be sure you get the end of the barrel 100% completely refinshed when you do this to avoid corrosion and such.

So..... cut it at 18.5". For it's intended purpose, who cares about a front sight? For a Defense Shotgun, you will be shooting at about 5 Yards. Point. Shoot. Seek an Ear Doctor.

You're kidding right?

Go take a defensive shotgun class at TDI before you start giving advice like that

He was referring to using it in his home for home defense. If you have a clear line of fire > 5 yards, you have other options or a VERY large home.

KillJoy

You always aim whatever firearm you are using no matter the gun or the situation. You never just "point and spray". A shotgun is not a magical "implode everything in front of it".

Bad advice. Take a defensive shotgun class before you give advice like this.

Go take a defensive shotgun class at TDI before you start giving advice like that

Agreed.

Not to mention the perp's lawyers would have a hay day with you if you shot their client with a 'sawed off' shotgun.

Ask anyone who knows me. I'm 100% against half-assing things. Do it right, or don't do it at all.

Thanks for all of the advice- I am going to look into the mossberg 500 and remington 870...

If I am home I have a chambered glock 19 with high cap mag, laser and a tactical flashlight for the other hand.

I pity the fool...

BTW 360 what age did you start teaching them about guns? Our first is still in the oven.

cinergi thanks for the offer- where do you work? I usually go to the powder room in powell for target practice.

The gun I used pheasant hunting last year was a savage double barrel and I liked having that second shot ready as I am not that good of a shot- I downed two birds on the second barrel.

I am right down the road from Powder Room. http://www.blackwingsc.com

Wow. You can just come see me at work, we also have some classes we can get her into. Or I could work with her, as I am an NRA certified instructor.

Anyway, good luck with what you choose. However Mike is right that you can't turn one good into three different things. You'll most likely need two shotguns.

Im actually planning on taking one of these classes the first week of December with my Mossberg 500.