2WD Locker/Traction Control?

zeitgeist57

I have a locker in my Camaro, and one in my S10. The locker screws up the traction control/ABS in the Camaro, but I don't drive it in the snow. The S10 doesn't have any of that crap, and it goes better than any 2WD I've ever driven in the snow. However it will slide constantly. I steer all winter with the throttle, and get some mean looks from other drivers because of it. If I put some weight in the bed I would have to try to get it stuck. I like it, but I doubt most people would.

It would help alot. Off Road a locker can be the difference between climbing a very muddy hill or not climbing it at all. The same has applied in the snow for me. You can tell a traction difference even with an lsd over an open diff, even in a 4WD vehicle. Tires would also make a huge difference.

If you do get a locker for a 2wd spend extra money for a selectable model. A true locker will destroy your tires very fast on dry pavement and can easily cause you to spin out on wet/icy pavement.

My mud truck simply has its differential carrier welded so that the spider gears are a big blob of metal (lincoln locker.) Thats the cheapest way to go, but I'd never do that to anything except a dedicated offroad vehicle.

Last winter in the big snow my offroader got to pull another truck out of a huge ditch while climbing the road bank on the opposite side at a 45 deg angle to the incline. Luckily the ground wasn't totally frozen during that storm so my 38" boggers had some nice soft ground to eat.

I was thinking about putting a limited slip/selectable locker on my pickup for the winter. Has anyone had any experience of the effectiveness with a 2WD locker in the snow?

Truck is an '82 3/4ton Silverado - 9.5in 14-bolt semi-floating axle.

FWIW, in a truck I would much rather go with an open diff in snow. LSD's are one of the main reasons knucklehead soccer moms wreck their SUV in snow.

An LSD is great in mixed traction environments like dirt, mud or gravel but on snow or ice on paved roads...no way. One wheels starts to spin, then the LSD shifts the torque to the other wheel and all hell breaks loose. Going slow, pulling out a stuck vehicle...no issue....but driving at speed and on paved/crowned roads....enjoy. Especially in an old truck with no ABS or Traction Control.

My Trailblazer LTZ didn't have the simple $150 LSD option and I picked it that way purposely. She was never off-road, and I didn't buy her to be...but in snow and on the roads during winter, she was a champ. Just get some good rubber and be safe. If you do get one, just make sure you keep a good bit of weight in the back.