Grand Prix 3.8 Running Condition

nurkvinny

My 02 Grand Prix GT 3.8 started fine after work tonight. It ran fine for the 1/8 mile drive to the Speedway on Steltzer. I filled up, and when I started the car to pull away, it would not stay running.

Anything under 1400rpms, and it would die. I had to drive home (including 2-3 miles of bumper-to-bumper holding the idle up above 1400-1500. Car sounded rough at all rpms. Reminded me of a vacuum leak.

No engine lights, no other symptoms.

Any ideas? I would have said bad gas, but the fuel that was sitting in the fuel rail would have still been from the previous tank, I would have thought. Problem continued ~30 miles (and is still happening).

Engine has 88k. Full tune up done a couple months back. Has K&N CAI and 160 stat.

Guest Removed

IMO, you drove car low on fuel(bad for gm's, under 1/4 tank) and you got gas, hit the hot asspump with cold ass fuel and basiclly pulled a sam and gave it a shocker!

that or you got some dirty ass gas! possible water in tank. cars that sit with a low fuel level in winter will get moisture in the tank causing the same issue!

or just got some random stupid sensor failure. but this is my best guess over the interwebs!

IMO, you drove car low on fuel(bad for gm's, under 1/4 tank) and you got gas, hit the hot asspump with cold ass fuel and basiclly pulled a sam and gave it a shocker!

that or you got some dirty ass gas! possible water in tank. cars that sit with a low fuel level in winter will get moisture in the tank causing the same issue!

or just got some random stupid sensor failure. but this is my best guess over the interwebs!

All things I thought of too (except for someone giving the shocker). :) The pump would have only been on for literally 60-90 seconds though. I'll check the pressure tomorrow.

I went and and restarted it, and it would idle now (but still poorly). Something's not firing or burning right.

Guest Removed
kind of sounds like watery gas.....check pressure and post back. check it running too. and if you have a relief valve, leave the motor running and hit the relief valve(easy volume test) the car should stay running. cause i have seen so many pumps have correct pressure, but not enough volume. but that shouldn't be your issue

Guest 614Streets
kind of sounds like watery gas.....check pressure and post back. check it running too. and if you have a relief valve, leave the motor running and hit the relief valve(easy volume test) the car should stay running. cause i have seen so many pumps have correct pressure, but not enough volume. but that shouldn't be your issue

Yeah +1 if it dies when you hit the relief than regardless of psi than the volume is down and pump is junk.

Well. You could hook a FP gauge up to it and see where the fuel pressure is at.

If you unplug the maf the car should run fine. I unplugged my maf at dragway 42 since it was dead and drove the car home over and hour and never had a stumble.. even at idle. I also wasn't throwing a code either. I just had my laptop on at the track and noticed that the maf would read 2400 hertz and then go to 124.03 and flat line. Replaced the maf and it was fine.

Vinny. If you're around either tomorrow or Wednesday I can hook up my laptop/scanner to it and see what it's doing if you want. Since you were right off Steltzer and Agler, I"m less than a mile away from there. I'm home for the next two weeks too, but wife is having surgery tomorrow so it might not be a good time.

Guest Removed
Rob, why are you editing his post?

Did you mean to click, "Quote"? :)

i have done that but i hit the back button...the advise he left where my blue lettering is was shit! basiclly he was saying there was no way it was bad gas. :rolleyes:

hence why i left the comment i did,and changed the colors. :)

Should have pressure readings around 6pm. Here is something odd... on a "normal" start up with this car, after about 3 seconds, the car idles up a little and I can hear a lot more sucking air sound through the CAI. Last night, that little extra RPM and sucking sound never happened. It just fell on its face.

After sitting all night, the car started normally this morning, but feels like it's running on 5 holes.

Should have pressure readings around 6pm. Here is something odd... on a "normal" start up with this car, after about 3 seconds, the car idles up a little and I can hear a lot more sucking air sound through the CAI. Last night, that little extra RPM and sucking sound never happened. It just fell on its face.

After sitting all night, the car started normally this morning, but feels like it's running on 5 holes.

I'm guessing the maf took a shit or is taking one. Mine was doing that at the track.

i have done that but i hit the back button...the advise he left where my blue lettering is was shit! basiclly he was saying there was no way it was bad gas.

And still removed a descent part....fuel filter!!!!!! If he's on 88k miles on the original, thats an obvious issue..duh!!!

I've done more work on 3800s than most and quite honestly I am real good at diagnosis via description(3800s only).....I've done, broke, and fixed everything on these cars.

You'll see I'm NOT wrong ;) ...So feel free to edit my post if I post about another kind of car...but not ones with 3800s..

KTHNXBY,

Jeremiah

Ok kids...

Key on, engine on = 41psi constant and 43psi peak while giving it gas

Key on, engine off = 40 to start, and it bleeds off quickly ( <1 minute ).

So... pump, regulator, leaky injector?

BTW, is that a T-10 or so adjusting screw I see on top of the regulator?

change the fuel filter ...please..10part..could fix all your issues

pressure drop once key is if is normal...you have a return line;)...

not the regulutor....is your car a 97/98?...... can't see that im using my phone. if so it could be the relay in the fender

did you hit boost while giving it gas. it should spike up to mid 50s psi