filing an accident report...question

evan9381

little lengthy, but i need some help from anyone that knows about this.

like 3 weeks ago, i bumped someone coming out of a parking lot. we were still on private property. he had started to go, i looked left to find my spot in traffic to go, lifted my foot of the brake, and bumped this guy, to find out he actually didnt go. why, i dont know. not the point at this time.

the damage was so minimal, it wasn't funny. the bolt from the license plate of my car hit his bumper, didnt even punch thru. theres just a small, maybe 8-10mm "C" in his bumper. well, knowing that police wouldnt do anything on private property, we exchanged info. i gave him my cell #, told him to get an estimate, if it was cheap enough, i'd just pay him out of pocket to avoid insurance.

he gets an estimate, wants a little over 700 for the repair and a rental for 3 days. trying to keep it off my insurance which finally got down to a reasonable amount, i agreed to do that. have him meet me at the bank today, get the estimate, and have a general release typed up for him to sign. well, the release stated that i would make the check out to the body shop, c/o him. he trys to tell me im going to make it out to "cash", and i basically told him no fucking way. he calls wife who works for an attorney, whoopty doo, she trys to say its my responsibility to reimburse them for the damages. i told them im more than willing to fix what i damaged, but im not giving them 700$ with no garuntee the car will even get fixed.

well she trys to play hard ball, say they'll go ahead and file a police report and go thru the insurance. i told her thats fine, because if they do, they will do the same thing and write the check to the body shop. at this point, im done trying to be nice, tell them to go ahead. she said shes going to have one of the attorneys call me and "explain my responsibilities". whatever. i leave the bank

so looking at the CPD website tonight, i see this

"What if the police are not taking accident reports at the scene?

In some circumstances, the Columbus Division of Police may not be taking any motor vehicle collision reports that only involve property damage, and no injury. This may occur during very inclement weather or if there is a critical incident occurring within the City which demands a large police response.

If you are involved in a collision and officers are not responding, exchange information with the other involved parties and within 24-hours report to the Police Headquarters Information Desk (Main Lobby) to complete a report. The officers at the Information Desk will give you further instructions at that time. Or you may obtain an accident report online. The reports are available in .pdf format and must be printed out at home and either mailed or brought to Police Headquarters. The Division of Police does not accept faxed accident reports. "

so will they even be able to file a police report ~3 weeks later? and will the insurance company take a claim after that time frame with nothing filed? i mean, who's to say this didn't happen a year ago and they're just now trying to do something about this. the only thing they have is my info, really nothing to prove the date it happened.

sorry for the long thread

good point. i guess if they were to try to say it was last night, i have proof of phone calls from him from monday, clearly over 24 hours prior, as well as the copy of the estimate he got, which im sure has a date on it somewhere. i wonder if i could take any recourse if he were to fraudulently file a report against me, after the time frame given.??

Bitch wants to play hardball? Fine. "It never happened and I have no idea who these people are."

that would be nice if there weren't phone calls exchanged and if they went into a bank and on video tape. i don't see them getting too far with you at this point. good luck and keep us updated.

Your insurance company will take care of it... Since they're the claimant though, they will issue a check to them directly for the cost of the damages based on their estimate. The other driver is entitled to a rental while their car is being repaired, but not until the car goes in the shop. Insurance will probably require a paid invoice from them to reimburse, or they'll setup direct billing with the rental company. As for the police report, it was an accident on private property, you've admitted fault, I wouldn't think that the insurance company would require it because the facts of the loss are not in question.

they are trying to dick you, keep your $700, and not fix the car.

and $700 is waaaaaay overpriced for a fix like that

i agree 100%. i figure if they try to call me back, i'll tell them my new proposal is to send them to 2 body shops of my choosing, and i'll pay them the lowest estimate they get, or ill offer them 200$ and not worry about what they do with it. otherwise, i'll let insurance handle it.

For a full size shop 700 to repair and refinish a cover is just about spot on. Thats not at all off. I just did and identical repair except 2 license plate bolt marks, on a fleet vehicle, and received a check for $1200

i had 2 huge dents repaired on a quarter panel through insurance for that price, and the work was perfect and from a shop.