Car alarm questions

Ryan218

This is something id like to get for the Mustang. whats a decent alarm that wont completely break the bank? just unlock doors lock doors and maybe be able to open the trunk? not needed but i don't know whats all out there. also. i don't like best buy touching my cars. last time the complete butchered it and it would not even start after they fucked it up. anyone here do installs like this?

for those who have had one or put one in whats involved? i hate wiring with a passion so i really would rather not have to do this.

Get accurate wiring schematic for your car, match wires from car alarm, hunt them down, and splice together. It's just time consuming.

As far as what alarm to buy, the nice ones have to be ordered online because most alarm companies require "professional install". I got burned on this bullshit once. I have seen a few CompuStar systems, very nice but kind of pricey. Audiovox and Bulldog are fine and can be bought without the bullshit of professional install.

Anything that you can flat-out buy/install yourself will have a high failure rating FYI. If you want a good alarm, spend the money.

Bullshit, if it's installed correctly, only off-brand cheap junk has a failure rate. You can order quality kits all day long of the internet if you know what to look for, but find the same kits in a car audio shop and they won't let you have it without custom install. I don't trust most of these shops just because they own a pair of strippers and a wiring book. Fuck that, take your time and do it yourself, it isn't that hard. Finding a place to trust would be harder.

Bullshit, if it's installed correctly, only off-brand cheap junk has a failure rate. You can order quality kits all day long of the internet if you know what to look for, but find the same kits in a car audio shop and they won't let you have it without custom install. I don't trust most of these shops just because they own a pair of strippers and a wiring book. Fuck that, take your time and do it yourself, it isn't that hard. Finding a place to trust would be harder.

I won't get into details, but again, most are cheap alarm systems that you can buy yourself. I'll agree with places that do good install work.

Car alarms are not worthless? If they are set up correctly and have all the features activated they are good. Plus adding an extra siren and back up battery for them helps out. Put in a fuel cut off switch as well and hide that. If you do it yourself make sure you hide the brain in a place that is bolted down and not visible under the dash.

Put in a fuel cut off switch as well and hide that.

This, or a battery kill switch, is really the only effective theft deterrent. If there is an alarm out there, the chances are infinitely high that someone has already figured out a way to get past it. Its just the way things are.

It sounds like this guy is looking more towards the effective keyless entry rather than super-high-tech alarm mechanism.

I don't know anything about alarms but I agree with Twistedrx7, go with some kind of kill switch in a hidden location (above the dead pedal, for instance, so you can easily activate it with your foot in a seated position) and you will have peace of mind.

This, or a battery kill switch, is really the only effective theft deterrent. If there is an alarm out there, the chances are infinitely high that someone has already figured out a way to get past it. Its just the way things are.

It sounds like this guy is looking more towards the effective keyless entry rather than super-high-tech alarm mechanism.

I don't know anything about alarms but I agree with Twistedrx7, go with some kind of kill switch in a hidden location (above the dead pedal, for instance, so you can easily activate it with your foot in a seated position) and you will have peace of mind.

yes and no. i would just like something that if the door is somehow op end when the door is locked that it will go off and scare them off. i dont lock my car right now. i keep the thing clean as i can. and all gas receipts go into the center console. i can tell a few times people have routed though my car when its parked at school and im getting really pissed off because of it.

and gear head. send me a PM when you have the information!

thats a good idea.

alarms are great to detuer your walk up thief. if somebody really wants ur shit they will get it.

these are highschool kids routing though it. thats why i want the alarm. so if they try and get in it gose off then run away. everywhere i take the car i park where i can watch it.

these are highschool kids routing though it. thats why i want the alarm. so if they try and get in it gose off then run away. everywhere i take the car i park where i can watch it.

get a remote on/off switch and electrify your door handles. pretty sure thats extremely illegal but do it for the lulz

I put a VALET 712T made by DEI on my foxbody. I loved it- OEM quality remote and it worked flawlessly for the 4 years I had the car. It had a flashing LED as a theft deterrent.

I put bulldog stuff on my wife's car years ago and it was fine as well but the quality was not as good as DEI- the remotes were extremely cheap

I worked in this industry for fifteen years and know it very well. If you want some experienced input gimme a call anytime. 614 507 8183 My name is pete. Im no longer workin in this industry so im not tryin to sell you anything. Just have alot of knowledge if you want some insight.