Top Gear on YouTube - Diesel/MPG Question

zeitgeist57

I'm referring to the "proper" BBC version (Season 12 Episode 4 was just on this past Sunday)...and I love watching it every week.

Episode 4 had a very interesting economy race...essentially, the hosts could pick any production vehicle they wanted to cover a 750 mile distance on one tank of fuel without any modifications. Of the three vehicles chosen, I was amazed that a Jaguar XJ with a twin-turbo diesel V6 covered the distance in total comfort at speeds topping 80mph and STILL had enough diesel to cover another 150 miles. Calculated fuel economy was 55mpg!!!

Now, if we are really that concerned with fuel economy (thinking of the 35mpg CAFE standards that American manufacturers will need to meet in the next few years) and the Big 3 are pleading to Congress for $25Billion to "retool" for smaller cars...

....wouldn't it make more sense for some of the Federal emissions standards be relaxed to the point that European/Asian cars can more simply be imported? If Mercedes/BMW/Jaguar have diesel versions of their big sedans that get north of 35mpg, I am surprised that we REALLY expect a government bailout to magically save Detroit AND help bring more fuel-efficient cars ***THAT PEOPLE WILL BUY*** to American dealerships...

hmmm...

Sadly the american appetite for diesel in a passenger car aplication was killed when Oldsmobile produced the 5.7 diesel. The engine itself was underpowered, and it did not have a water seperator in the fuel system, so injection pumps and blown headgaskets where a common issue.

You can buy a diesel car here, but the market just dosent seem to want it yet (ewww, diesel is nasty)

IIRC, The Jeep Liberty had a diesel option, and it got scrapped due to poor sales. I would love to see the big 3 figure out how to make a decent diesel compact pickup. Something in the 3L to 4L displacement would be nice, and should have no problem hitting 30 MPG and be able to actually tow something. (VW used to have something like this, was worthless for towing, but got 45MPG and could haul something in the bed)

Also, with Diesel still averaging a dollar more a gallon, people are hesitant to buy, even if it is still cheaper per mile due to the increased fuel economy, the initial price of the diesel scares people away.

once they start putting the diesel's in the 1/2 trucks and more people get familiar with them and their power (becuase all the old diesel arent worth a shit) people will be chaning their minds. Hell everyone i know with a jetta diesel will not sell it or they buy new ones.

IIRC, The Jeep Liberty had a diesel option, and it got scrapped due to poor sales. I would love to see the big 3 figure out how to make a decent diesel compact pickup.

wrong out the ass. they sold every single liberty CRD they produced, and actually exceeded sales expectations. it was a 2 year run(05/06) because of the rediculous emissions standards it would be required to meet if they continued to produce it(07). the liberty CRD was simply to test the waters, nothing more. in 2007, jeep introduced the grand cherokee CRD with a 3.0l V6, and you can still buy a brand new one now.

and, by the huge success of the jetta TDI, i think the US market is perfectly willing to accept diesel powered passenger cars. if the government ever wants to let us have any of course.

i think the US market is perfectly willing to accept diesel powered passenger cars. if the government ever wants to let us have any of course.

Our fuel is crap, that's what keeps the good diesels overseas.

.wouldn't it make more sense for some of the Federal emissions standards be relaxed to the point that European/Asian cars can more simply be imported?

See above. We don't need relaxed standards, the EU is more strict, we need cleaner burning diesel fuel.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7232357.stm

Much of the science is on the side of modern diesel, which has a sulphur content limited to 15 parts per million (ppm), compared with up to 500 ppm found in the diesel of yesteryear.

wrong out the ass. they sold every single liberty CRD they produced, and actually exceeded sales expectations. it was a 2 year run(05/06) because of the rediculous emissions standards it would be required to meet if they continued to produce it(07). the liberty CRD was simply to test the waters, nothing more. in 2007, jeep introduced the grand cherokee CRD with a 3.0l V6, and you can still buy a brand new one now.

and, by the huge success of the jetta TDI, i think the US market is perfectly willing to accept diesel powered passenger cars. if the government ever wants to let us have any of course.

My bad. I had heard that they didnt sell, and havent seen one around anywhere. Wonder when I can find one in a wrecking yard, would be a nice swap into a ranger or S10.

Our fuel is crap, that's what keeps the good diesels overseas.

See above. We don't need relaxed standards, the EU is more strict, we need cleaner burning diesel fuel.

We have had the ULSD for 2 years now. 15ppm sulfur is the USLD standard, works fine with the newer diesels.

The problem with ULSD: older engines are not liking it. some of the beloved VW TDIs (and for that matter any engine with a bosch VE pump) will have a tendancy to lose seals unless the pump is rebuilt with newer seals. Only $500ish plus the labor to remove and reinstall the pump. IIRC, by 2014, all on road and off road diesel will be ULSD, should be great for all the older agriculture equipment that will need pump seals updated.

If that is the case, then why have the Europeans been able to get away with diesels for the last few years without having to go to urea injection (like Mercedes BLUETEC) which is apparently necessary to meet US emissions standards?

Also, we've been running ULSD (ultra-low sulfur diesel) for the last couple of years now...at least it's been in every pump I've been to with my truck from Florida up through Ohio...

EDIT: Didn't see Lustalbert's post...