Anyone got a metal lathe?

GonneVille

I need to have some Delren plastic machined, and the info says it can be done using the same tools as steel without risk of fouling. Is there anyone out there who can do some lathe-turning for me?

All I need is to have a round plug slightly smaller than 4" made, and ring lands cut into the sides.

I have a mini-lathe. I might be able to get this done.

Do you already have the Delrin?

KillJoy

Yes I do. I need check some measurements, though. Basically, I want to build a piston valve. It needs to fit inside a 4" PVC pipe, with just enough room to slide freely. One ring land should give me all the seal I need.

Yes I do. I need check some measurements, though. Basically, I want to build a piston valve. It needs to fit inside a 4" PVC pipe, with just enough room to slide freely. One ring land should give me all the seal I need.

That does not sound too hard.

:D

How long will it end up being, and how long is you stock?

KillJoy

That does not sound too hard.

:D

How long will it end up being, and how long is you stock?

KillJoy

Well, that might be the hangup. What I have is a 1" thick block, about 1'x8". How difficult would that be to get into lathe-able shape? Or is it something I'd have to buy round stock for?

Thanks, Rick and Andrew. I'm gonna see what KillJoy can do. If he doesn't have the right tools, I'll get in contact with you guys.

Mike, yeah, you guessed it. I want to build a 4" to 2" piston valve. The whole thing is, a piston valve can open faster than anything but a diaphragm valve, which operates on the same principle, but buy custom building it, I can eliminate some of the convolutions inside an industrial valve and get a higher flow rate.