School me on Radar Detectors.

Farkas

The things are tools guys, you don't just plug them in and magically you will not get a ticket. Just like any tool you need to know how to use them and you still need to pay the fuck attention. All my tickets come from not paying attention like if I am late for something. I went almost 2 years without a ticket when I had my detector.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The things are tools guys, you don't just plug them in and magically you will not get a ticket. Just like any tool you need to know how to use them and you still need to pay the fuck attention. All my tickets come from not paying attention like if I am late for something. I went almost 2 years without a ticket when I had my detector.

My point was no detector I had would warn me of lazer, or tell me there was a helicoptor clocking me. What the fuck good is that? Most cops aren't dumb enough to sit out where they can be seen for miles.

How many tickets have you got from a helicopter or Plane? It does not happen to frequently in Columbus, Marion yes, Columbus not many. You can almost always see a copter above the road when you are driving. I see them all the time, but never see anyone pulled over.

How many tickets have you got from a helicopter or Plane? It does not happen to frequently in Columbus, Marion yes, Columbus not many. You can almost always see a copter above the road when you are driving. I see them all the time, but never see anyone pulled over.

2, one on 71 headed south around Mansfield, and the other headed towards Zanesville on 70. Both were a over 2 years ago. About 2001 and 2004 if I remeber right.

2, one on 71 headed south around Mansfield, and the other headed towards Zanesville on 70. Both were a over 2 years ago. About 2001 and 2004 if I remeber right.

My point exactly, outside of Columbus. They are mostly run by the Highway Patrol, which does not patrol 270 and the major freeways here in Columbus too much. I see CPD more than State Patrolmen.

Well not much point speeding in town.

Everyday occurrence for me....

I have done the speed limit on 270 to prove a point to my wife, if you do 65 on 270, you are a danger to the other cars as they are doing 10-15MPH faster than you. 270 flows at 72-80MPH everyday.

get yourself a jammer. theres a fixall =0. and is your car the one in dox garage? looks sick btw

Damnit, is Doc giving everyone sneak peaks of my car? I hope you didn't pay the man to see it.. it isn't much to see, yet :).

Back on topic-

In my own case I don't speed often, but the biggest reason I do want a radar is for my own reassurance that if I am being tagged, I know it. I still speed on occasion, maybe 5-10mph, but like I said.. it would be nice to know when radar is being shot or not.

I have done the speed limit on 270 to prove a point to my wife, if you do 65 on 270, you are a danger to the other cars as they are doing 10-15MPH faster than you. 270 flows at 72-80MPH everyday.

That isn't what I mean, and i don't want to debate speeding versus impeding traffic.

As noted

"usually just to pass or have fun for a short spurt" :D Was it early in the morning...like real early? I do recall while heading out of town back then early in the am.....blue or burgundy jeep ?

By no means am I throwing stones, just stating what I saw. I enjoy "driving" as much as the next guy.

It was late morning, and I'm sure the car was responding well in the cold.

BTW, its a black jeep commander.

LOL, thats what I said, until I was awarded a 74 in a 65 by a plane.

Everyday occurrence for me....

your fucking kidding me right?

when do you commute noon?

fucking traffic never goes over 60 when I drive to work

your fucking kidding me right?

when do you commute noon?

fucking traffic never goes over 60 when I drive to work

I Go into work at 6AM and could do 120 easy. And I go home at 3:30pm. I never see traffic. And I work downtown just like you. 670 to 270 to 161 east is my way home.

Most cops aren't dumb enough to sit out where they can be seen for miles.

I see a fair number of them well before they clock me and make the V1 go off with laser. You just have to know where they sit and watch for them. I'm always looking 1/4mi ahead. What I've seen is they typically clock me at <1/4 mile....more like 800-1200 feet or so. Easily seen.

Just watch the sides of the road, under bridges in the shadows, on top of over passes, etc....there are spots where they will nail you as you pass by as they wait on the on-ramps, but again, just have to speed smart and keep an eye out.

Most of the time you can simply watch ahead, scan traffic and you'll see break lights indicating a cop. Never be the lead car, never speed out in the open, don't use the fast lane as the fly-by lane. Avoid weaving like a nut or drawing any crazy attention.

I agree that I-270 typically flows at 72-80mph so ducking under cover of other cars is usually the way I go without issue.

By no means am I throwing stones, just stating what I saw. I enjoy "driving" as much as the next guy.

It was late morning, and I'm sure the car was responding well in the cold.

BTW, its a black jeep commander.

I didn't take it the wrong way. I deserve the stone in terms of spirited driving, I don't mind.

However, I work out of a home office and unless it was early in the morning on the 11/5 it wasn't likely me. I left at 6am that day and came back late the next night. Other than a trip out 33 NW through Marysville on my way to Southbend, IN last week, and my trip to BMW Financial at 6pm just the other day, I've not been on I-270.

I do remember going by a guy in a dark colored jeep early on the 5th because I got a call, moved to the center lane and then he flew by me as I cruised and talked.

I dont understand how people are saying radar/laser detectors are useless. You guys do know you have to step on the brakes when it goes off right?

I've gotten a speeding ticket ONCE in the last 3 or 4 years I've had a radar detector and it was only because I was rocking out and the the music was too loud for me to hear it go off.