Diesel truck question

starkmaster03

I'm thinking about buying a new truck, looking for a Chevy/GMC 2500HD 4x4 with the 6.6L. I've got two in mind one but one is an 03, Black with grey leather, 6-speed manual and 126K miles. The second is an 02, red with grey cloth, auto and 78K miles. My question is, how reliable is the 6-speed manual, I've only heard cons about getting one with the Allison trany but nothing about the 6-speed. They are asking the same price for both, what are they worth in today's market?

Thanks guys.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the 6spds are uber rare. drive one i fuckin hate em. Way to grabby, ive drove a 5/6spd since i was 14 and hate the duramax 6spds, the auto are fine. The new auto 6spd is the best one but its 2006+ trucks.

If you want a manual go dodge. they drive like a cadillac for a 6spd truck.

I'm thinking about buying a new truck, looking for a Chevy/GMC 2500HD 4x4 with the 6.6L. I've got two in mind one but one is an 03, Black with grey leather, 6-speed manual and 126K miles. The second is an 02, red with grey cloth, auto and 78K miles. My question is, how reliable is the 6-speed manual, I've only heard cons about getting one with the Allison trany but nothing about the 6-speed. They are asking the same price for both, what are they worth in today's market?

Thanks guys.

The 6-speeds from what I've heard are pretty rock solid. The Allison is a great tranny providing you don't cross the 750FTLB mark and drive it like you stole it. I'd say the 02 should still get within the $18K+ range, they still have a good re-sale no matter the market. Depending on cab, size of bed, and options, they'll still be in the upper teens. Here's a KBB example price:

02 Crew Cab Short bed 4X4 in Good condition with the standard options

$16,000 at the moment.

You'll be happy with the Duramax trucks, they respond very well to an exhaust, intake and programmer.

The 6-speeds from what I've heard are pretty rock solid. The Allison is a great tranny providing you don't cross the 750FTLB mark and drive it like you stole it. I'd say the 02 should still get within the $18K+ range, they still have a good re-sale no matter the market. Depending on cab, size of bed, and options, they'll still be in the upper teens. Here's a KBB example price:

02 Crew Cab Short bed 4X4 in Good condition with the standard options

$16,000 at the moment.

You'll be happy with the Duramax trucks, they respond very well to an exhaust, intake and programmer.

Both are short bed, four door, and I already have EFI Live for the TA so the programming is covered.

Both are short bed, four door, and I already have EFI Live for the TA so the programming is covered.

:cool:

I'd suggest an MBRP 4in Turbo back, and any one of the intakes on the market. I've seen over 20MPG freeway on Duramax's. Should run 200K with little problems, I'll be looking come spring for one. I'd personally go with that 02' with the auto. I'd rather not row my own gears towing things.

:cool:

I'd suggest an MBRP 4in Turbo back, and any one of the intakes on the market. I've seen over 20MPG freeway on Duramax's. Should run 200K with little problems, I'll be looking come spring for one. I'd personally go with that 02' with the auto. I'd rather not row my own gears towing things.

I believe that you were the one the mentioned in another thread about not buying newer that 04 because of the turbo back exhaust regulation. Did I recall that correctly?

Yeah, I'll be using it to tow the car to rentals and to tow a my gf horse trailor to her shows. That's why I was thinking th 02.

my girlfriends brother always wanted diesel truck, his old late 80's gas ford truck just did not have the balls to pull the things he needed for work, he ended up finding the truck at richart in columbus, it is a 2005, white, auto extended cab, with long bed, super nice snow plow set up , had a nice jason cab on the back also, the truck is crazy clean. He wanted to me to look over the truck which I could not find anything wrong . He got the truck out the door for 18500 and only had 52k on it , which was a steal in my book , I spoke with the guy and said they are having issues selling trucks in general. and said a few have been around or on the lot for a year. good luck finding what you want.

It has been my experience that most trucks have been abused in some way, I would never trust someone who states a vehicle has never been towed with especially if it is a vehicle capable of towing. You should always thoroughly inspect any vehicle before purchasing and hope you have a little bit of luck. Also what type of hitch is needed for the horse trailer?

It has been my experience that most trucks have been abused in some way, I would never trust someone who states a vehicle has never been towed with especially if it is a vehicle capable of towing. You should always thoroughly inspect any vehicle before purchasing and hope you have a little bit of luck. Also what type of hitch is needed for the horse trailer?

Just a hitch, it's a tow behind, not a 5th wheel.

Gooseneck or 5th wheel. Horse trailers tend to be on the larger side meaning 12K+

guess most people you know have 60k plus invested in a trailer.

most hose trailers are 4-6k. plus the horses. so 8-9k. which a 1/2 can pull

95% of my customers tend to have the larger trailers. I know of quite a few people that don't use their diesels to tow a thing, but if the truck is rocking a gooseneck it'll tend to have towed the heavier loads. Meaning putting lots of stress on the transmission, which is a common weak point on diesels. That was my point, and yes I know most do tow with their diesels. Under 10K pounds I wouldn't worry, but the 12K+ I'd second guess. Might have to be ready to replace an tranny, and a good one isn't cheap.