Diesel truck question

starkmaster03

I think we have a challenge... pm me

Ha ha a challenge right now would be hard to answer consindering my current location. If you hit the county pulls in the summer maybe we could meet up and shoot the shit. Ill be home just in time for them, and maybe by then Ill have the new turbo put on so that I can hold the throttle wide open for longer than 4 seconds before pegging 1600*+.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll wait for Chris to chime in, if I remember correctly he had a injection pump go bad, or a couple... and I do belive they are lubricated by the diesel, so if your starving the pump, its bound to go bad. What I don't understand is if its a power gainer of just a insurance policy. Granted I don't want to but a $1600 inj. pump. Some people swear by it, but I just see it as a "save your ass" part. I'm just trying to figure out the pacticallity of it with my application.

I have been through 3 pumps. The first one was due to lack of fuel pressure. Upgraded to the Fass and and maintain at least 18psi at idle and never drop below 9psi at WOT. That is all with larger fuel lines. My second and third pump it was the brains that just gave out. If your fuel press drops and cant feed the IP you will loose it. Any vp44 owner is so scared of the loss of fuel/lubrication to their pump. I know guys still scared running ULSD through their trucks due to the process in making it ULS that takes alot of the lubrication away from the fuel.

You are right, it is not so much the performance gain at first as is the peace of mind of reliability. At the same time you are going to need the better pump anyways when it comes to feeding it more fuel down the road. So far my new Schied injection pump is holding up great and is feeding a set of 200hp sticks with my edge on 5 almost always. I love my fass and like scotty said it is noisy but I like the sound cause then I know its working;) My vote is go for it. If it was me doing it all over again I wouldnt buy any different pump and spend any less.

What are the current mods/future plans for your truck?

AEM Cold Air, Banks Intake, 4" Exhaust, Edge, Rumor has it injectors (the dealer's word from prevous owner)... I want to do leveling kit and fass for sure, maybe injectors. When I get to that point I'll have to do a little more reserch on turbos and hopefully be around 400/750ish. Level 6 after I get the pump. The only thing stopping me is tranny and pump, It worries me if I push anymore power. Then I'll be the one breaking shit. I'm @ about 35lbs, any advice? Whats your mods and about hp rating w/ 42lbs

AEM Cold Air, Banks Intake, 4" Exhaust, Edge, Rumor has it injectors (the dealer's word from prevous owner)... I want to do leveling kit and fass for sure, maybe injectors. When I get to that point I'll have to do a little more reserch on turbos and hopefully be around 400/750ish. Level 6 after I get the pump. The only thing stopping me is tranny and pump, It worries me if I push anymore power. Then I'll be the one breaking shit. I'm @ about 35lbs, any advice? Whats your mods and about hp rating w/ 42lbs

Yeah in my opinion your are playing death games with the vp44 on the stock lift pump when runnin your edge turned up, that is of course if your wire is tapped. I hope you at least have a FPress guage. If you are looking to get your tranny built stronger without a built price tag let me know. The guy who did mine charged me around 1500 and it is holding up strong for 20k miles with edge cranked, 200hp sticks, fuel mods, and other small bolt ons. If your only seeing 35psi I doubt you have any type of injectors worth writing home about, I was hitting 35psi on stock injectors with just the edge. My 42psi is extremely inefficient because it is on the stock turbo and I am sure very hot air. I have to slap on the new HTT 66mm turbo, head studs, and do something with the gaskets when I get home. I will also be upgrading to even larger injectors. I am going to see exactly what this tranny can do before I spend the 6500 on a new one. I would like to get another TQ though and use with this trans.

I'm peeking at about 35 now, on level 5. The tranny was just rebuit by the prevous owner adout 15-20k ago. And again I don't know what went in to it. The turbo game I haven't even looked into, I have a friend who bought a "1 size larger" then stock turbo and he isn't going to use it because of the lag, so thats an option. Thats where this turbo bussiness looses me. So I haven't messed with it yet, but injectors and maybe a wastegate/turbo next. What do you think your inj. bumped you up too, worth it... on my next mod list.

The first one was due to lack of fuel pressure. Upgraded to the Fass and and maintain at least 18psi at idle and never drop below 9psi at WOT.

While lubrication with the ULSD fuel is a concern, you hit the important stuff right on the head. Everyone and their mom knows that VP44s are sensitive to inlet restriction. Failed lift pumps = way too much restriction! The main thing I wanted to say though is that 18 psi at idle is pretty high for VP44's, any higher and I've heard that the pressure actually locks the pump....just an FYI.

Regarding lubricity...I've been using Diesel Kleen Power Service (gray bottle from WalMart) in my '82 6.2L Silverado. I'm hoping it's a good additive for restoring some lubrication that is lost on the 15ppm ULSD. The truck liked Power Service in Florida, where I noticed a difference in summer (hot, really humid) with the way it ran on a tank of treated diesel vs stock ULSD. Up here in Ohio's winter, the truck is running really strong most of the time from the cold air so I can't tell if its making a difference in smoothing it out or not.

BTW, I was at Kroger's on Bethel, and noticed their diesel is just LSD (500ppm sulfur) and not recommended for 2007 and later diesels. What is the sulfur content for off-road diesel? I go to the Speedway on Reed and Henderson and it's 15ppm.

D. Up here in Ohio's winter, the truck is running really strong most of the time from the cold air so I can't tell if its making a difference in smoothing it out or not.

BTW, I was at Kroger's on Bethel, and noticed their diesel is just LSD (500ppm sulfur) and not recommended for 2007 and later diesels. What is the sulfur content for off-road diesel? I go to the Speedway on Reed and Henderson and it's 15ppm.

I would be surprised if that is ACTUALLY 500 ppm sulfur fuel, it would be against EPA regulations.

Off-road and on road fuel is all the same. The only difference is that the offroad fuel is not taxed, it is tinted with red die so that law enforcement can tell who is trying to beat the system by using non taxed fuel for on highway applications.

What do you think your inj. bumped you up too, worth it... on my next mod list.

Is this in regards to the vp44. Keep it until yours dies.

As far as your trans, save up the money now for a new one. That way you have it in the bank once you start making some power and your finally takes a shit. Cause it will. Time is the question.

While lubrication with the ULSD fuel is a concern, you hit the important stuff right on the head. Everyone and their mom knows that VP44s are sensitive to inlet restriction. Failed lift pumps = way too much restriction! The main thing I wanted to say though is that 18 psi at idle is pretty high for VP44's, any higher and I've heard that the pressure actually locks the pump....just an FYI.

Wow I almost forgot about you. Do you still work for Cummins?

Actually the 18psi has bothered me a few times. I have tried to talk to many people regarding it and enough have assured me that I am fine that it takes my mind off of it. I still consider maybe adding in a regulator.

Wow I almost forgot about you. Do you still work for Cummins?

Actually the 18psi has bothered me a few times. I have tried to talk to many people regarding it and enough have assured me that I am fine that it takes my mind off of it. I still consider maybe adding in a regulator.

Yeah I still work at Cummins. :D

If I remember right 18psi is the threshold. If you could lower it to 10-15psi for the injection pump inlet pressure I think that would be best. The main things with these pumps is, like you said, a good lift pump (not failing). Theoretically, as long as the inlet pressure to the VP44 does not go into vacuum you should be good.

Also, like he said, if you have a VP44 pump that is running strong; don't change it!

Is this in regards to the vp44. Keep it until yours dies.

As far as your trans, save up the money now for a new one. That way you have it in the bank once you start making some power and your finally takes a shit. Cause it will. Time is the question.

I plan on keeping it but upgrading the lift pump to a fass 150, Thanks for the info, I knew the vp44's were touchy but not that sesative on the inlet restrictions. Let me know about your sticks when you upgrade them with that new setup next spring, I'll be interested in the old ones

• Upvote 1

As soon as I get home and I finish the paint you are welcome to come see what she can do with the setup I have now and Ill throw the new turbo on and you can we can see how it changes. I strongly dont recomend doing what I did and you need to start thinking about head studs if you are going to have a turbo that will support those type of injectors. I sent you a pm back so you can let me know what you think about everything.

Berto I have a couple things Id like to run by you here soon. How familiar are you with the cummins programing (Powerspec, and Celect)? I have some questions regarding ISX's. Ill try to send you a pm here shortly with more regarding this and an issue with my truck Id like to get your opinion on.