Street Racing Charge On WBNS 10TV

KillJoy

Those charges are no joke. However irresponsible street racing may be, those charges are far too severe for what occurred. Had his own car crashed into another motorists I would completely understand any charges received. That's a bit much for the crime IMHO.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Brandon should be charged for all of those things. He did not hit anyone as stated. George assumed the risk of dying when he agreed to illegally race.

His actions certainly meet the legal defintion:

Involuntary Manslaughter: In order for a person to be found guilty of involuntary manslaughter the prosecution must prove

1. That someone was killed as a result of the action.

2. Second, in the circumstances existing at the time, the person's act either was by its nature dangerous to human life or was done with reckless disregard for human life

3. The person either knew that their actions were a threat to the lives of others or knew that the circumstances that could reasonably be a threat to the lives of others.

All the charges are certainly balls to the wall serious, but then in any situation like this, they pull no punches and load up the charges. They'll never go in light on charges. Never.

Staton's wife and neighbor told investigators that the other man called Staton and challenged him to a race. When asked about the race the driver told police that his car "started breaking loose, so (he) let off the gas," allowing Staton to speed past him.

Staton's neighbor, who was following behind with Staton's wife, said that "after the race was over they both hit their brakes to slow down." The neighbor said it was "5 or 10 seconds later" that Staton lost control and crossed the median, 10TV's Glenn McEntyre reported.

Sounds to me like somebody should of gotten a lawyer before they made a statement to the police. This is just going to be more grief to Georges family which im assuming they dont need.

By that logic the family and state should sue GM, the companys that made the performance parts and the state for not having a solid barrier seperating the two lanes.

:rolleyes:

-Marc

No, because their actions or inactions were not the direct contributing factor to the deaths/injuries. The cars didn't kill people, people racing cars did.

Just playing devils advocate for the sake of conversation here too...so don't get too bent....

No, because their actions or inactions were not the direct contributing factor to the deaths/injuries. The cars didn't kill people, people racing cars did.

Being the husband of a lawyer your opinion may be skewed, but a sensible adult would look at the situation and realize charging that kid with manslaughter is bullshit.

-Marc

Being the husband of a lawyer your opinion may be skewed, but a sensible adult would look at the situation and realize charging that kid with manslaughter is bullshit.

-Marc

I'm looking at it as a father.....if my son or daughter were killed by I'd go after everyone that contributed. Both of them were involved in the race. Charges don't follow cars that are smashed; the follow those that were involved in the situation.

If he was coming home from a bar drunk, the bar tender and establishment are both going down too....different law, but another one that I agree with.

Saying brandon was apart of it, then the neighbor and wife would be just as much since they were there and knew what was going on.

I was thinking that too....especially the nieghbor...and they may still do that if things don't work out as easily. There's leverage there yet to be had. I would call that a card still facing down.

I know you are, but at the same time ruining an 18 year olds life for something he did not do is not justice.

-Marc

Part of the above is the prosecutor making a point for everyone to take note of. ie...stay away from anyone engaged in such actions.

I'm looking at it as a father.....if my son or daughter were killed by I'd go after everyone that contributed. Both of them were involved in the race. Charges don't follow cars that are smashed; the follow those that were involved in the situation.

If he was coming home from a bar drunk, the bar tender and establishment are both going down too....different law, but another one that I agree with.

The woman didnt die did she? I was under the impression she made a full recovery?

So you support suing gun manufacturers for the product they produce? Or maybe the gun store that sold the gun?

-Marc

So lets say I'm trespassing on a private lot and challenge a guy to a foot race. During the race he has a heart attack and dies. I could be arrested for manslaughter? Its an illegal act I caused that resulted in the death of another...

Wow... just wow!

Dude none of you even know any of it. All you can say is what you say on the news. I went to court yesterday in front of a grand jury. Had to answer tons of questions about the whole situation. Had miltiple detectives come to my house investigating this, asking me questions. Asking me alot of shit about this site and stuff from this site. I do not think Brandon is at fault for this at all. How can they say George wrecked due to racing. In the report it says he was drinking alcohol and it was a cold damp night and the roads were covered in black ice. I am sure non of those helped either yet all they focus on is the racing aspect. I mean I have lost control of my truck when it was icey out and went off the road. Are they gonna charge the guy driving next to me for my wreck. For all we know is that George and Brandon were just driving down 70 and george lost control and brandon turned around to help and now he is getting charged. Now I am not saying George is at fault either but I do think they do not need to pin this on Brandon by any means. Also I wanted to add alot of shit that is posted on here was in the court. The police are monitoring this whole website. This is the major reason why I have been seriously thinking about not posting on here anymore. There are to many people not taking responsibility for their actions. People need to man up and stop putting the blame on others.

The woman didnt die did she? I was under the impression she made a full recovery?

So you support suing gun manufacturers for the product they produce? Or maybe the gun store that sold the gun?

-Marc

She didn't make a full recovery. She's still messed up badly...has a brain injury and is learning to walk...not to mention her legs will never be right and have plates and pins in them. 6 weeks in a coma....I can't imagine what that put her and the family through. All this on her way home from work and making her way through school. Sad.

Gun manufacturer...as a manufacturer no. However, if you and a buddy robbed a bank and your buddy killed someone with a gun, I would support the prosecution going after you as an accessory to the murder. Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Also I wanted to add alot of shit that is posted on here was in the court. The police are monitoring this whole website. This is the major reason why I have been seriously thinking about not posting on here anymore.

Wow..... simply wow.

:eek:

KillJoy

Yep someone has given them full access to everything here.

Chris has already stated he would cooperate with the police. It was in a thread. Even PMs.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53231

Recent actions by a few members of Columbus Racing and the ensuing backlash has prompted me to clarify the position of Columbus Racing and clearly explain what we're about:

First, so that all know, not only am I an administrator of Columbus Racing, I also host the forums and website in their entirety. My position with my company allows Columbus Racing to share a server in the best collocation data center in the Midwest with ridiculous amounts of bandwidth completely free of charge.

Columbus Racing, as an "entity", does not condone street racing or any other illegal activity and we adamantly encourage people to take it off of this forum. Columbus Racing exists solely for friendly banter and legal organization of like-minded individuals.

I will always cooperate with any legal investigation, without repulse, and every member should know that nothing is safe including private messages. I have many months (even years, in some cases) of complete backups and all are open and available to any member of the law.

Nothing is "safe" on the internet. If you want to do illegal crap, don't do it on the internet and certainly don't do it on our forum. I understand this may upset you, but I felt a reality-check was in order.

didn't mean to confuse....using another example of a person involved but not directly involved being charged just as brandon is being charged.

I was more confused with the idea that you actually agree with the drinking analogy and how the bartender and establishment are at fault? :confused:

Seriously, how is it in anyway, their fault?

They're just trying to run a business. It's not their place to decide how much alcohol you can handle.

Gun manufacturer...as a manufacturer no. However, if you and a buddy robbed a bank and your buddy killed someone with a gun, I would support the prosecution going after you as an accessory to the murder. Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

So by this logic (tying it back into this thread) if you are robbing a bank with your buddy and he shoots himself you will be charged with his death...