Auto bailout collapses in Senate

dragknee66

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/12/11/murky-future-for-auto-res_n_150148.html

A $14 billion emergency bailout for U.S. automakers collapsed in the Senate Thursday night after the United Auto Workers refused to accede to Republican demands for swift wage cuts.

Apparently it would be worse to have wages cut then to not have a job at all. :rolleyes:

Move to Mexico...All Mexicans are here.

Actually it's not good at all down there right now. My fiancee's old employer has bene moving a lot of stuff down there and people from her building would make frequent trips. Right now the gang wars are really bad. A couple American workers have been beheaded and they send the heads to their employer. Some of my fiancee's co-workers were caught in crossfire and had to get on the ground under a car, and a few weeks ago one of the restaurants they frequest was fire-bombed.

I'm almost glad she got laid off after hearing all that. I wouldn't be able to sleep if she had to go down there again.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/12/11/murky-future-for-auto-res_n_150148.html

Apparently it would be worse to have wages cut then to not have a job at all. :rolleyes:

No, they present 2 options:

1. Pay us our current wages.

2. Pay us un-employment & welfare for the next 50 years.

Either way they get paid....and hell, lets throw a riot in there for good measure.

So what kind of loss hourly are we talking here. I dont know the numbers. What would be the difference between a GM employee and a Toyota/honda of comparable salary. I am pretty sure Honda Marysville makes decent money. What are the realistic numbers cause i honestly dont know what type of cut they are talking about.

So what kind of loss hourly are we talking here. I dont know the numbers. What would be the difference between a GM employee and a Toyota/honda of comparable salary. I am pretty sure Honda Marysville makes decent money. What are the realistic numbers cause i honestly dont know what type of cut they are talking about.

Older Article

KillJoy

Here is a new article with a little different figures...

------

(AP) Hourly wages for United Auto Workers laborers at General Motors Corp. factories actually are almost equal to those paid by Toyota Motor Corp. at its older U.S. factories, according to the companies. GM says the average UAW laborer makes $29.78 per hour, while Toyota says it pays about $30 per hour.

The difference is in benefits, with the unionized factories having far higher costs.

GM says its total hourly labor costs are now $69 including wages, pensions and health care for active workers, plus the pension and health care costs of more than 432,000 retirees and spouses. Toyota says its total costs are around $48. The Japanese automaker has far fewer retirees and its pension and health care benefits are not as rich as those paid to UAW workers.

The UAW has not been able to organize workers at a Toyota plant in this country; it does represent workers at one joint GM-Toyota plant in Fremont, Calif.

------

KillJoy

GM says its total hourly labor costs are now $69 including wages, pensions and health care for active workers, plus the pension and health care costs of more than 432,000 retirees and spouses. Toyota says its total costs are around $48. The Japanese automaker has far fewer retirees and its pension and health care benefits are not as rich as those paid to UAW workers.

That is dam close to a 50% Increase for the UAW....

:mad:

KillJoy

So essentially if GM said hey guess what figure your own health insurance out and kept paying them there current salary. They could save there own company.

Possibly.

Or.....

Pay Cuts in General (ESPECIALLY the highers up... they are the ones responsible for the fuck up anyways)

OR...

Cut Pensions

OR....

Cut Benefits / Pensions to those who are already retired...

It's GOT to be better than cutting off the hand that feeds you.

KillJoy

I have no sympathy for people who build cars or sell cars.

Let em all burn. The economy won't go into depression. We'll survive. Ford will be fine regardless. Car mechanics will be fine. And all those UAW workers can find other jobs they're qualified for. Ditch digger comes to mind...

For the record I was also against the Financial Industry bailout.

I have no sympathy for people who build cars or sell cars.

Let em all burn. The economy won't go into depression. We'll survive. Ford will be fine regardless. Car mechanics will be fine. And all those UAW workers can find other jobs they're qualified for. Ditch digger comes to mind...

For the record I was also against the Financial Industry bailout.

I <3 Mowgli.

The economy goes up and down. I'm of the opinion that no amount of money we throw at it is going to save it. We're just going to have to suck it up, grab our ankles, and go along for the ride. It'll eventually get better, but for now, things might not be as 'American Dream' as you'd like. Such is life.

I <3 Mowgli.

The economy goes up and down. I'm of the opinion that no amount of money we throw at it is going to save it. We're just going to have to suck it up, grab our ankles, and go along for the ride. It'll eventually get better, but for now, things might not be as 'American Dream' as you'd like. Such is life.

That was always my attitude, but now my livelihood depends on Fords survival.

That was always my attitude, but now my livelihood depends on Fords survival.

I feel for all the people (save for UAW folks) directly connected to these companys. I really do. But I don't think there's much we're going to be able to do besides: ride it out, cope as best we can, restructure, and move on to eventual better times.

It's inevitable. It's gonna be shitty for a while. :(