Question for the CR Economists

morabu

so with the price of Oil falling to the floor, why has the price of food not followed?

we were all told how everything we use has Oil used in it's life line somewhere, whether it is in plastic bottles/containers all the way down to the big factor of transportation of the food.

is it just because "they can"?

this shit has gotten ridiculous, and now that oil has plummeted, i say they have no legitimate reason to keep hammering us with their oil "surcharges"!

especially with the economy getting worse by the day.

discuss

I doubt things like food will go back down, but it didn't just move exactly how oil moved either. If it were to go down it would take a while. Back when gas started climbing the prices of everything else took some time to catch up, so to think anything would just come back down isn't very realistic. Just consider how many people affect this, first the shipping company would have to lower their prices back down. Why would they? Well they'd want to be more competetive then the other shipping companies, this would cause the smaller ones to act first, the ones who are trying to get bussiness up. Then the wharehouses and retailers would have to lower their prices, and they'd do that for the same reasons. To be more competetive, but gas or more importantly diesel prices could go back up by then and stop this process. I would be surprised if prices do anything more than level off for a while.

Just my 2 cents, since most of you fuckers won't read it anyway.

Al of the grain products you are purchasing where produced over the summer and fall when diesel was still high. A fair amount of that grain was probably already sold during the spring on grain contracts, when people where offering $4/bu + for corn to guarnte the grain that they would need at that set price rather than the potential cost of fuel driving th open market price higher at harvest time. Since those grains where already bougnt at that price, the end comodity will still be at the higher price to cover the contract it was purchased on.

Remember is not just the grin used for bread, also the cattle feed for the beef and milk, chicken feed for the eggs and KFC extra crispy goodness, ect.