Has America learned anything?

El Karacho1647545492

Seriously, every day I read a story about how the Dow Jones is fluctuating wildly, gaining or losing 300 points based on some random event that occurred on any given day. The entire reason our economy is in the shitter is because of speculation based investment. When are these fucking idiots going to learn?

However, that's not the thing that made me scratch my head. This was:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/18/mayors.pork/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

I read the article a while back about the Mayors' conference that suggested 11k "ready-to-go" infrastructure projects that would stimulate jobs, etc, but this is fucking retarded. It's clear to me that the people we're electing into office just don't fucking know how the system or economy work. We elect into office one of two presidential candidates who vow to fight porkbarrel spending, and yet we're still getting this shit! Admittedly some of these things would indeed create jobs, but it's clear that these stupid mayors just came together and said "okay put everything in this proposal that you think will create jobs" instead of "how do we increase the public welfare of our town/country?"

/rant.

Discuss your outrage.

edit: example, the Roger Williams Zoo in Providence wants $4.8m to build a polar bear exhibit. Sure, it'll create jobs in the short term, and probably boost zoo revenue, but what the fuck good does that do the public. Like if the zoo went under due to harsh economy zoologists all over will be feeling the hurt, local communities will start looting zoos and stealing tigers. Fucking retards.

Infrastructure projects are trickle up type things. Get people to work, get them money to spend, they spend it, businesses they spend their money in start to flourish, creates jobs, etc. etc.

Infrastructure projects are trickle up type things. Get people to work, get them money to spend, they spend it, businesses they spend their money in start to flourish, creates jobs, etc. etc.

Oh I agree, but just look at what they consider "infrastructure"

How can a politician have the time to learn proper economics, etc when they have to spend so much time and money just to get somewhere in our political system? Not all, but I believe many politicians get where they're at simply by knowing the right people, greasing the right gears, screwing over the right people, etc. You almost can't blame them, as there is hardly any other way to do it. The way they are funded and who ultimately runs the show because of it, obviously, has much to do with this.

Alex,

Why so glum? Your guy won! He's gonna fix everything. So Merry Christmas to us all! :)

Hey, there you are. I've been missing all your internetz wizdoms. I have a book for you to read. :)

http://www.jjsargent.com/finetooth/deadhorse2.jpg

Alex,

Why so glum? Your guy won! He's gonna fix everything. So Merry Christmas to us all! :)

While GWB has proved to us all that one man can take a country from an extremely high point to the lowest of lows, I think the uphill climb back to the top is a bit more difficult; more so than one man.

We need institutional change, and it starts at the bottom, not at the top.

I guarantee some rep from RI switched a vote so that his polar bear exhibit would get on a spending bill somewhere. Earmarks are around to convince people to go mavericky. "You vote with us on this one, and our committee will make sure your community gets something later" And nobody in congress actually complains because they want that earmark to be for their district, to get them re-elected. If the RI zoo gets their polar bear exhibit, the 10 people that live there will be so excited they'll re-elect him for sure.

SO I bet thismainstreet plan is the culmination of all the earmarks of the people they had to get to switch votes to get the bailout passed, it probably took a lot.

While GWB has proved to us all that one man can take a country from an extremely high point to the lowest of lows, I think the uphill climb back to the top is a bit more difficult; more so than one man.

We need institutional change, and it starts at the bottom, not at the top.

Institutional change will only occur when term limits are imposed on every branch of govt. Conservative, liberal, libertarian etc appoints are still sitting from the Nixon or Carter admins!

Institutional change will only occur when term limits are imposed on every branch of govt. Conservative, liberal, libertarian etc appoints are still sitting from the Nixon or Carter admins!

I actually agree with you on term limits. There definitely needs to be more roatation and fresher minds.