A law question

jerrodh

I sold my truck awhile back ago and the guy that bought it still has my tags, I'm unable to contact him and the guy is pretty questionable. I'm pretty certain he's still driving on my tags and worst yet he may have lost the title from last I heard meaning the truck may still be in my name. Is this cause for concern for my well being? And if so How can I fix this?

I assume you do not have a bill of sale, notarized or no? If so, you have proof that you sold your car and it is no longer in your possession.

As far as the tags go, you are supposed to remove them yourself before the car changes hands. If you had an agreement to get them back and that agreement has not been fulfilled, you may report them as stolen.

^ tru.

Report them stolen for sure.

As to why people still sell cars and dont transfer the titles WITH that person.. is beyond me.

The BMV might tell you wether or not the car has been transfered out of your name if you still have the VIN or old title number. Not quite sure if they would or not really

As to why people still sell cars and dont transfer the titles WITH that person.. is beyond me.

i know... wtf is up with that?

and i cant fathom why you wouldnt take the tags off when you sold the car? nothing good can come of giving them to someone else.

Yeah I know, got caught up with the sale and mistrusted the guy but oh well. And I actually did go to the title office with the guy and I signed what I needed to sign and walked away. When he was done we left and he took me home. The idiot then supposedly lost the title afterwords and said the BMV said the transfer didn't go through and I hadn't got a hold of him since.

But oh well BMV trip tomorrow and if necessary I'll file a report after that.