Washing Machines...

Akula

My clothes washer died. It is old and I don't like it anyway, so I want to buy a new one.

I have looked around and am not real excited about the choices but saw something I had never seen, Staber. Anyone know about these?

I refuse to buy another front load as they are designed poorly and tend to grow mold. But the Staber is a topload, that works like a front load.

Epinions doesn't like it recently. Anyone have a good top-load suggestion that is easy on water?

I got a set of Whirlpool Duets frontloaders from Appliance Mart....Then places wanted $260 for the stands and I said kiss my ass and built this for $30. Minor help from Skinner.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee207/bixsman/stuff011.jpg

Don't know much about them, but since they are close, it may be worth a drive to check them out at the factory ?

Seem pretty nice. How did you find out about them?

Heard about them reading about the stench that comes from my front-loader.

I got a set of Whirlpool Duets frontloaders from Appliance Mart....Then places wanted $260 for the stands and I said kiss my ass and built this for $30. Minor help from Skinner.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee207/bixsman/stuff011.jpg

That actually looks pretty good :thumbup:

Heard about them reading about the stench that comes from my front-loader.

I'll have to show this to my sister in law. They paid like $1,500 or so for a front load and she hates it. Says it doesn't get clothes anywhere near as clean as it should and thta when they got back from vacation it stunk. When she called the manufacturer, they suggested leaving the door open between uses.

We do that on our top load for that exact reason and have been for years as it's not big deal. On a front load in the laundry room, it sticks out into the room and is not a solution to their design problem. Crazy shit.

I'll have to show this to my sister in law. They paid like $1,500 or so for a front load and she hates it. Says it doesn't get clothes anywhere near as clean as it should and thta when they got back from vacation it stunk. When she called the manufacturer, they suggested leaving the door open between uses.

We do that on our top load for that exact reason and have been for years as it's not big deal. On a front load in the laundry room, it sticks out into the room and is not a solution to their design problem. Crazy shit.

Your sister got a bad set. These sumbitches are magic. They use less water and can take a bigger load. The mfrs spin cycle is so violent that if they are not level, they'll walk all over the place. Clothes come out damn near dry it spins so hard. No stinky stenches either. Traditional washes fill the tub regardless of the amount of shit in it. These only fill enough to wash what you put in. You spend a little more $$ on HE detergent, but worth it. Not as hard on linens either.

No matter how magic, the water left in the drum and around the gasket cannot evaporate. That's why they say leave the door open. I know the advantages to the washer, its why we had front loads on the submarine. I just hate how they aren't manufactured correctly and they get the funk.

There is never still water left anywhere in mine...You speak as if it's a wheel with water in it or some shit. Until you have a set...stay away from what "the critics" say on this one. It's not true in this case.

There is never still water left anywhere in mine...You speak as if it's a wheel with water in it or some shit. Until you have a set...stay away from what "the critics" say on this one. It's not true in this case.

Sounds like he is speaking from personal experience....

Although I have heard of certain brands being better/worse about the mold smell than others.

Your sister got a bad set. These sumbitches are magic. They use less water and can take a bigger load. The mfrs spin cycle is so violent that if they are not level, they'll walk all over the place. Clothes come out damn near dry it spins so hard. No stinky stenches either. Traditional washes fill the tub regardless of the amount of shit in it. These only fill enough to wash what you put in. You spend a little more $$ on HE detergent, but worth it. Not as hard on linens either.

The balance and walking is an issue on top loads too, thus why they come with adjustable front legs. Our top load also doesn't fill the tub all the way, it only fills to where the water needs to be for the load you select.

Granted, there are supposed to be benefits to front loads, but in her case, I think it's a Sears brand aka whirlpool or whoever the OEM is and it came highly rated.

Personally, we have a fairly need set and won't need them for a while, but if I had to, I'd still stick with a top load. I'm old fashion that way I suppose.

My wife and I went GE front load about 2.5 years ago and we couldn't be happier. From what I've read in Consumer Reports, they have a very good reliability rating and all that jazz, but I found that out after we had purchased them.

We too went the Appliance Mart route and came out pretty happy. I have only had one nemisis and that is baby sock and change that clog the drain tube filter.

http://www.geappliances.com/products/introductions/frontload/models.htm

Otherwise, I think it's a superior product. And I have never had a moldy issue, however we do leave the door open after our weekend laundry "blitz".

ApplianceSmart is awesome...go to the one in Hilliard just south of Cemetary Rd, and talk to a woman there named Amal Awada. 614.876.8771

No matter what you want (top- or front-load), she will give you a great deal on it.

Personally, I bought a HE Fridgidaire Affinity washer (and matching dryer) and have been very very satisfied with the performance. I am also amazed at the job it does in getting even dirty car-work clothes clean. Plus, while HE detergent costs a little more, I've been using the same bottle since June and I still have plenty left. The dryer does a really good job as well. Bought the set for less than $950 with tax, wires and hoses.

I bought a set of Maytags from ABC warehouse in Mansfield. $1500 out the door with 3 year extended warranty. The stench people get is because they are dumb and lazy. Leave the door cracked, and use the cleaning tablet once per month and you are good to go. My friend has a set of LG's and he was having problems with them smelling all the time until the goof ball read the directions and started taking care of them.

We would never go back to top loads. The amount of time the wife spends doing laundry is reduced enough she now has time to pack my lunch for the next day and massage my feet after a hard day at work.