Construction/Garage door installers

Buck531

I need someone to come out and give me an idea if it will even work or not. I have a 2 car garage that's all cinder block. The garage door is only 10 feet wide. I need somone to come out and see if it's possible to install a 16' garage door. Some cutting of the cinder blocks will be needed. I'm not sure about the support of the garage though.

Free estimates are better.

I can probably get you a good price on perfectly cutting the cinder block if you have someone else tuckpoint finish blocks back in place, and do the garage door and securing the opening.

Ok. here's what I got. It's sorta a pic. best I could get right now. I might snap one later on the weekend.

http://bucky.kicks-ass.net/car/buick/99regal/regalgarage.jpg

Right now it's a 10' wide by 7 ' tall. On the left side past the car if you measure 16 feet from the right side of the beginning of the garage, the left side of the walk in door is exactly 16 feet. I know I'd have to move the door to the side but that's fine. So I'd only need the top/bottom of the block cut. The left "barn door" is open all the way. 5' would need to be cut out.

I just don't know if it would fall down in the middle :).

I believe you can span a lintel that far. If you use thick gauge steel. Or you can cut it and cut beam pockets in place and span the opening with a steel beam then cover the steel beam with new block. How much weight do you need to carry above the opening?

No fucking clue. That's why I need someone who knows WTF they're doing to come over and tell me what's needed and how much it'll cost :).

If you find someone who can do the block and garage door work, but does not want to enlarge the opening, let me know. I can enlarge the opening but you would need to either use a 2x8 board on the sides of the openings after cutting(you see this alot, cheap and easy), or have a mason retooth finish block in place for the finished look. If you get me the thickness of the block, and square footage which would be remained above the opening after widening, I can figure weight of the total square footage needed to be braced and determine wether you can get by with steel lintels only, or if you need to span the entire thing with a steel beam.

If you find someone who can do the block and garage door work, but does not want to enlarge the opening, let me know. I can enlarge the opening but you would need to either use a 2x8 board on the sides of the openings after cutting(you see this alot, cheap and easy), or have a mason retooth finish block in place for the finished look. If you get me the thickness of the block, and square footage which would be remained above the opening after widening, I can figure weight of the total square footage needed to be braced and determine wether you can get by with steel lintels only, or if you need to span the entire thing with a steel beam.

Cool. Is this something that's really expensive to do? I dunno. I'm getting a few grand back in taxes and I was guessing somewhere around 2k for the entire job. I don't know though.

I know teh garage door will run like 800 or so maybe a grand with an opener. What about the steel brace and the work for cutting it out?

I could have it cutout and removed for only a few hundred. Like I said, you can go cheap and only use a 2x8 to cover the edge of the block, or go expensive(relatively) and have a mason retooth a nice looking new edge. Keep in mind once you cut your block you will be splitting the courses. This means you will see the inside of the blocks after cutting. Hence the reason to cover it up. If you can hang your own door, you'll definately save some $$$$$. The steel would probably cost a upwards of a few hundred depending on if you need some cheap flat steel for a lintel or need an actual steel beam. You might even be able to get by with a homemade wooden beam made out of 2x10's you need to figure how much weight the steel or wood needs to carry first thing first.

I'm not worried too much about the looks. If you saw the garage up close you'd understand.

No idea about the weight. Just a roof, two layers, etc.

There is a metal pole directly in the middle of the garage but that just seems to hold the thermostat and I have no idea if it supports anything else.

Measure the height of the remaining block above the center of the new opening, I assume its an 8" thick cmu wall. It looks like its on the peak side of the garage so your probably looking at maybe 2 feet above the center of what would be the new opening. Then it angles down for the peak.