2000-2001 BMW 740il

Gergwheel1647545492

For the most part yes...

No matter what you get into BMW 3,5,7, Audi / a4,a6,a8, /Benz they are all going to have slightly higher maintenance costs and frequency than a honda/acura ect. of the same vintage (usually)

Some models particularly stand out though, like that 7 series, the A6 on the Audi side in particular has a very bad record.

On that same point. You have to remember you buy the car for 10k, but you'll be servicing a 70-80-90k car......and it'll cost ya. It's not like most 10 k cars.

where you getting your prices from? I just checked egay and they are all like 9-10k. Also I really don't want a manual tranny. if its going to be my daily i want an auto.

Unless prices have gone though the roof, you must be looking at 99, low mile cars.

Remember, the 94 (or 95) though 99 are for all intensive purposes the Same. I passed on a MINT 96 5 speed with M package and 140k for 5500. I should have bought it. :(

There's a lot of truth in the warnings in this thread. I bought a 1998 750iL, which I realize is a slightly different beast than you're asking about, and it was the worst new car I ever owned at any price. And it was 98k new. Many problems with the electronics. I drove the car over 2 years and was never so happy to get rid of a car. If you're dead set on getting a used BMW of that vintage, I'd lean towards the 5 series, or an M5 or M3.