I need a new Laptop

OneToEnvy

I have been reading for hours and I'm still upside down. So these are my unanswered questions

What processor is better AMD or Intel

Is vista shitty? or do you just need a lot of memory

How do you feel about HP as a brand what do you recommend.

I have 700 to spend help me please :confused:

Just dont buy an acer. I made that mistake because I dont know shit about computers and I didnt have anyone to warn me otherwise. It worked great for a while and its still decently quick but, it does all kinds of weird shit all the time. It has recently been replaced with a macbook and I love this thing.

Intel has a huge lead over AMD, and has since the Core 2 line debuted. Now they are the Core I7 and its kicking ass.

Vista is GREAT. Yeah, its a lot better if you have a lot of memory. But have you SEEN memory prices?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-20-145-184-_-Product

4GB DDR2 800. $25.

I wouldn't go with any brand. I'd say build your own. If you can work on a car you can build a system, and $700 is enough for a pretty decent build.

^ He wants a laptop, not a desktop.

What are you using it for? I have a Sony Vaio and it is great. It is above your price range, but my mother has one of the less expensive Vaios ($700 range) and it's quite fast and superb for basic computer functions. I've had bad experience with HP, though that was more due to poor case quality and unnecessary bloatware. I love Vista but I'm also very computer savvy, so it's difficult for me to see its faults from an average computer-user's viewpoint.

i use it for movie watching itunes and internet browsing

i would like to run 64 bit xp so i can run 3 ta 4 megs of ram, and i only need a 160 or 250 HD

I cant stand having to wait on shit when i have more than 1 Program up so i need something that can move along quickly

What direction can you point me?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834117820

That's the laptop I bought for my mom. It's quick and very good at the basics like movies, internet and music. It only has 32bit Vista, but it only has 3gb of ram so all of that is accessible. Honestly, you will not notice much difference between 3gb and 4gb if you just use it for what you say you will. If you don't like that laptop, I'd look for similar specs from Gateway, Dell, Lenovo and Acer(never had a problem with Acer). Whatever you get, absolute first thing to do after updating all the drivers and software is to remove ALL bloatware, trials and thrown-in junk programs you don't need.

Also, I have not dealt with an HP for a few years because of my dislike of their quality, however, I have no experience with their latest lineup so they may have changed. A lot of the computer manufacturers receive their motherboards, hard drives and other internal components from the same places so for me, it all comes down to programmage, price, quality, looks and specifications.

Oops. I paid attention to every detail in your post but didn't read the title.

Ok, HP used to make good laptops but now they are nothing special IMO. You'll get good quality out of Asus, Apple, Lenovo, Dell Latitude series, and Sony.

The Asus laptops may look cheap, but over all they are just about the best bang for the buck. I don't think they make anything for $700 though.

Apple will be expensive as always but are very durable aside from some of the small common problems.

The lenovos don't really offer much other than being a strong built laptop.

The latitudes are expensive for what you get and offer the least customization.

Sony has a pretty wide range on their laptops and is good all around. You might pay a little more for them.

I'm about to go BACK into business w/ my dad and he is thinking of buying a laptop for me to use in the office. All it needs to do is basically search one website and use excel....but I'll probably some how fuck it up to the point it barely works. And I work part time at Best Buy but they only give us shitty deals on laptops.

I have an HP laptop, and I LOVE it. Seriously.

I bought it earlier this year with my tax return. ZERO problems.

Vista Ultimate (64 bit)

2 gigs of ram, wish I had 4 but it's never bothered me enough to upgrade.

AMD Turion x2 (dual core) TL-64 2.2 GHz

whatever graphics card, no idea

Plays Doom 3 great, which is good enough for me.

Seriously, you can't go wrong with an HP laptop. And I agree with Jason, stay away from Dell. I've yet to see one that I could tolerate, they are stupid heavy and have dumb, annoying problems.

Dont get a dell. You will hate it. i will hate you for it.

I have <3'ed every HP I've had.

you know i loved my dells till i got my new work laptop, damn thing blue screened on the first install of the OS. and keeps randomly blue screening. i talked to dell support about it and its part of their security software that causes it to happen because its finicky on how its installed.

let me help you out with your purchase on a laptop

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0303575

its mac, its less then 600 =)

I have a Lenovo that i have used for about 6 months and love everything about it. I am running vista and do not have any complaints about it. Your best bet is to stay away from the name brands such as HP, Dell, Acer, Sony and so on. You can get the same thing for a fraction of the price just because it is not one of those brands. Search through newegg.com and tigerdirect.com. I got mine from tiger direct for 699 i think.

run 3 ta 4 megs of ram

buying a 386?

In all seriousness, look on all the outlet stores around the net. I bought a top of the line Lenovo ThinkPad (at the time) for $500 just because it had a few scratches on the SIDE of the notebook, where don't even look at it.

Toshiba or Asus. I don't recommend any other manufacturer.

Lots of memory.

Vista is fine. I run Vista 64bit on my machines and I don't have issues. The "problems" with Vista are blown out of proportion by elitist computer guys who love to hate on MS and have conveniently forgotten their hatred of XP when it came out. It doesn't REQUIRE a lot of memory, it'll just use it to make your commonly-used programs load faster rather than letting your ram sit around doing nothing. (It's actually kind of funny watching an old-school computer guy try to wrap his mind around this. Took me a while too. But what good is RAM if it's empty?)

Anything you pick up should handle Movies, iTunes, and browsing just fine. As tasks go, those are REALLY easy. THe most expensive part you may want to consider is a Blu-Ray drive. But that would probably put the laptop outside your $700 budget.

I have a Lenovo

Your best bet is to stay away from the name brands such as HP, Dell, Acer, Sony and so on.

Just a note, Lenovo is IBM; biggest Brand-Name in PCs there is. ;)