I'm a COMPLETE NOOB. Point me in a good direction.

Radio Flyer1647545514

everyone has there different opinions

most will tell you to start out with something like

kawasaki ninja 500

suzuki sv650

suzuki gsf500

something along those lines

i think personally, as long as you can control yourself then get what you want. as long as it fits you.

no matter what you get, if your a D bag your gonna get in trouble, hurt yourself whatever.

yes a gsxr is gonna be able to wheelie, go faster, etc. but you fuck yourself up on any bike.

shit my friends first bike was a suzuki sv650, and he was doing 2 mile wheelies on it. he also got caught for speeding doing like 100 in a 55.

so doesnt really matter what you get you can get hurt, get in trouble, whatever.

thats my thought

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i mean the real appeal to a true sportbike for younger people is the look of it. i mean if they made a bike that looked exactly the same but had a small motor that was a good beginner bike you might not be asking about that question.

but then again another reason you might not buy the smaller bike is so you dont look like a "queer" for having a starter bike. but fuck it. just do whatever you think is necessary

You'll become a better rider faster if you start on something smaller.

You can start on a full out sport bike, but typically it will take you longer to become faster.

No one is going to make this decision other than you. At 18 I had an 11 second car so I can't say anything about being too young for fast crap, it's all in your head. Again, you will learn faster, and better technique on a smaller bike, then once you upgrade to a full out sport bike you will be a much better rider because of it.

I'd look for a SV650 or an EX500. Both can be had for cheap, and their resale value will be the same.

You might want to do some reading as well, I'd suggest Twist of the Wrist. I have it in .pdf format but it's on my desktop that is currently at my parents, not setup.

As a final note - SV650s look cool as fuck when you mod them correctly. Gixxer fronts are a bolt on mod, upgrade the rear shock and you've got a damn fun bike for cheap, that's more forgiving than a sport bike, and almost as fast.

as stated any of the below bikes would be good to start on, i wouldnt recommend a 600cc to learn on. I personally learned on a 500, and then went to a 600cc.

Check insurance rates. even at 22 with a clean record insurance is high. I can get liability only for my old 600 for 25$ a month, however for any decent bike I would get theft coverage, it bumped to 70$ for me, and full coverage was out of the question at 300+ , that was with 0 points. That was with progressive.

everyone has there different opinions

most will tell you to start out with something like

kawasaki ninja 500

suzuki sv650

suzuki gsf500

something along those lines

If the bike was in a different persons name would that drop the insurance rates? I don't have my car in my name for the insurance, but I am the primary driver.

Can I do the same with a bike?

I have Farmers Insurance, does anyone have experience with them for bikes?

Thank you to all of you for the quick detailed replys, it is greatly appreciated.

How much different is riding a 600 than a 500? What is so much more dangerous about it? Is it just the potential that the bike has, or is really just an entire different experience? From the responses I'm leaning toward one of the bikes you all have suggested, and am steering away from the GSXR, but it's still in the back of my head that I should be looking at them.

Is it safer to ride in groups rather than riding solo?

How much different is riding a 600 than a 500? What is so much more dangerous about it? Is it just the potential that the bike has, or is really just an entire different experience? From the responses I'm leaning toward one of the bikes you all have suggested, and am steering away from the GSXR, but it's still in the back of my head that I should be looking at them.

Is it safer to ride in groups rather than riding solo?

A modern sport bike just isn't very forgiving. When you get into trouble (and as a noob, you will), the chances of hitting the pavement with a bad (read: rookie) move are greatly higher than if you were on a smaller, easier to flick around bike.

Again I'm going to suggest reading Twist of the Wrist, and whatever your decision is, always check your throttle hand. Snapping it will result in pain. Look up the definition of a high side.

As for riding solo vs. in groups, depends on how you look at it. It's safer in the fact that if shit goes down (ie: you) you've got someone around that will help.

The cons of being in a group, think back to when you were a kid riding pedal bikes with friends. Remember all the stupid shit you did in groups? Expect to do all that stupid shit, with higher probability of getting hurt at higher speeds. :lol:

One rule of thumb to follow in a group: ride at your own pace, especially as a noobie.

With all that said - get a bike already, they're a fucking blast. :D

Okay, now I understand why everyone is telling me go for a smaller bike.

As far as group riding, those were my concerns.

I'ma get a bike when it warms up. I'm in the middle of saving money, and hopefully by the time I get my taxes back I should have at least enough money to get a nice starter bike and get the proper gear needed.

Thanks for PWNing me!

there is a huge difference as you can see from the 500 to the 600. Very noticeable in riding too, i recommend the 500 to learn on, its still more than enough power to ride with. I'm sure the below times are with pro riders, but it still can be done stock.

Ninja 250

0-60 5.5 sec

1/4 Mile 15.5 sec

Top Speed 115Mph

HP@Wheel 28

Torque 14ft-lbs@9500rpm

Fuel Eff. 55-75mpg

Dry Weight 304lbs

Ninja 500

0-60 3.76 sec

1/4 Mile 12.73 sec

Top Speed 140Mph

HP@Wheel 52

Torque 31ft-lbs@8000rpm

Fuel Eff. 48mpg

Dry Weight 388lbs

ZX-6R ('04) 10.50 @ 130.7 quarter mile ~100hp

Here's my input:

If you have a competent person that can teach you how to ride, then:

Buy a cheap beater 500cc like the ninja or GS500. Cheap meaning under $1000 or right around that. I bought my son a 91 GS500 for $900, and its a great bike. Or if you like cruisers get a little 600 shadow or something. Take it to a large empty parking lot and start riding there. Make sure to do corners, large figure eights, and straights where you can up and down shift. Once comfortable with that, go again and do tighter figure eights practice braking (not panic braking yet, but more aggressive). Once youve done this a couple times, go with someone on another bike on the road in the country several times.

I bought two blueant bluetooth motorcycle headsets that my son and I use when riding so that we can talk to each other, and I can give him tips/hints on how to ride such as lane positioning what to watch for etc. I can also watch him ride and he can watch me ride this way. They are GREAT.

If you dont have someone to teach you how to ride:

February 1st sign up at basic rider to take the course http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/license.htm

Take the course first and see if you like it. If you dont sign up on february 1st, most of the spots will be taken up until about August or so. The course is great and fun. For $25 you cant go wrong.

Dont buy a new or expensive bike. Get time on a beater first and sell it back for same price you bought it for.

Lewis

Oh, almost forgot. Always ride defensively. Assume someone is going to pull out/change lanes/turn in front of you. Dont drive in blind spots. When on roads like 33 its best to take your time and stay in right lane with plenty of space between you and next vehicle. If you are in left lane, ride in the gap between cars, so if person in front of you in right lane changes lanes, you wont be hit by him. Dont take all day to pass him. Assume they dont see you.

Lewis

Ninja 500

0-60 3.76 sec

1/4 Mile 12.73 sec

Top Speed 140Mph

HP@Wheel 52

Torque 31ft-lbs@8000rpm

Fuel Eff. 48mpg

Dry Weight 388lbs

that seems about spot on, except for the top speed. a ninja 500 isnt going 140 unless you throw it out of a plane maybe...

fastest i saw on the speedo, at near redline in sixth gear was about 120-125. my GPS unit said 115.

also, in regards to gear, get something for your legs too... we have all ridden in jeans, im guilty of it too, but its really not a good idea.

jeans protect you for about the first half second of a crash. and thats if you just fall over. dont even think about sliding...

just imagine going outside on the sidewalk in jeans, running as fast as you can and doing a sweet rock n roll powerslide... your knees are not going to be happy. and thats just at 8 mph or however fast you are running... imagine going even 20 mph and doing that...

I'm leaning toward a SV650 at the moment but I'm not stuck on it. What years/ miles should I look at for the Ninja 500, or the SV650? Price not to exceed? I can get 1000 easily in cash if that's all a starter bike will cost me. I want to ride it for at least the first season.

Also, I don't like the feel of jeans either, I don't own a pair, and I have not owned a pair for years! I'll look into getting some nice pants to wear though that do offer protection. I've heard stories of people going down and then the nurse has to scrub all that material out of your wounds.

The MSF opens on the 2nd for registration, I already have the link on the top tab of my toolbar so I don't miss the registration.

My friend has a few bikes, and he said he would teach me on them. The country is a 5 min drive from my house so I can get on real roads w/o heavy traffic easily to get started.

I really appreciate all of your guys help. Quick detailed answers that really made me change my attitude on starting out.

really never seen that bike....

but sv650 ftw...

my first bike was a 98 gsxr750.... i raced motox for 14 years so i thought i could whip it no problem... probably took me a good summer to actually feel comfortable on it... i wish i would of started out on something smaller.. killed the learning curve.

good luck dude...