where to get speakers fixed?

Guest tbutera2112

Guest tbutera2112

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i82/SaleenSS90/CIMG0200Medium.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i82/SaleenSS90/CIMG0201Medium.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i82/SaleenSS90/CIMG0202Medium.jpg

just need the foam fixed, the speakers are old so it just dried out and cracked

Probably should just replace it. No sense re-coning something like that. For new speakers try Partsexpress.com (its a company in dayton, sell decent items)

I think parts express also has a surround repair kit.-if you wanted to fix your old vega.

Guest tbutera2112
i looked at fixing them myself, and i dont trust myself to do it... im just hoping theres an audio shop around that can fix them... they sound great, so if i can repair them cheaper than replacing i would like to

Guest tbutera2112
im looking for a cheap way to be able to turn my stereo up without it sounding like shit...im trying to build a motor, so this is the last thing on my list...i dont care if theyre bad speakers or whatever, i simply want to know if theres a place that can fix them or not...that being said, theyre not even my speakers im just using them for the time being

Stereo Lab on Indianola will "recone" speakers. I had an old set of Advent's done there, but, it's about $75 per "cone" (actually just the foam like you show in the photo).

I got mine done for about half since when the wife took them in and asked "how much", they said $75, but didn't mention "each". She bitched them down to about $100 for the pair - they work/sound great 3 years later and counting.

Guest tbutera2112
Stereo Lab on Indianola will "recone" speakers. I had an old set of Advent's done there, but, it's about $75 per "cone" (actually just the foam like you show in the photo).

I got mine done for about half since when the wife took them in and asked "how much", they said $75, but didn't mention "each". She bitched them down to about $100 for the pair - they work/sound great 3 years later and counting.

thanks for at least one person giving me an answer...these are nice speakers, i dont have the money to spend 150-200 per speaker on new ones, i just want these fixed

Guest tbutera2112
Try going to a hardware store and getting some clear silicone and put a thin layer on the fron and the back of the rip. I have done this before and it turned out pretty well if i remember correctly.

hmm this may work...i think im gonna go with the 30 dollar kit to fix them both...going to attempt it myself, and if i fubar it ill call one of the couple places mentioned here

I forget where, but I used to buy refoaming kits for speakers for somewhere in the $10-25 range, if I recall correctly. I'd suggest going that route. I know you're worried about fixing them yourself, but trust me, it's EASY. I did it for the first time on a pair of my friend's drivers about 4 years ago, and they've held up beautifully. Only thing I can suggest if you go that route is to have someone else nearby to help you get everything lined up as you put the foam ring on.

All you need is: foam ring

glue

scalpel (for removing old foam)